• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS glTF-Blender-IO-MSFS / import export Addon

There's an extra menu down the bottom of the standard gltf export. But I can't find an XML option yet. And MSFS invisible is not invisible.

Anyone know if this makes usable collision boxes? That's the only reason I'd change.

The forked one did also create collisions but they are nothing like the standard Asobo ones, when the plane hits something it's immediately thrown to the ground, so I stopped experimenting with it.
But I'm not sure if this is the way it is intended to be, because the other exporter by Vitus has this option aswell, but still has it's own export entry in the export menue.
And when I import sample glTF files from the SDK, they load like a normal geaometry and bones for example are normal geometry and nothing I can grab and move. So I'm not sure if that's realy suposd to work that way.

But I'm not sure if this is the way it is intended to be

I guess we need to wait to hear more, but from the previous post it seems like it's not completely ready.

Collisions do seem to work with this, but they're still not completely reliable and they still act unnaturally, but maybe I haven't crashed into enough standard items.

I'll wait for the next release or two.

Last edited:
I used the exporter to create collision shapes they are there and work ....okeysh..
I used them in my powerlines scenery
Plane do crash on them..but Ai Cars consider them as bridges

Collision meshes, instead, are unreliable -.-

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk

It seems that they will be releasing the addon before Blender v3.10 beta is out of beta and is officially released. I don't think that is wise. They should wait, but we will see. Asobo standards appear to have not changed. My 2 cents worth.

Edit: Looks like they changed the requirements for the addon... they are now saying that the IO is now compatible to v3.0. So, hopefully the whole addon.is compatiable as well... stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reactions: tml
Hello, I'm having trouble figuring this error out.I'm using Blender 3.2.Any help will be appreciated.
error.png

An advice ?

First of all, read the specifications of this software and change your Blender version for a version 3.1.x ( 3 posts above, read Pyscen's post saying 3.0 compliant)

An advice ?

First of all, read the specifications of this software and change your Blender version for a version 3.1.x ( 3 posts above, read Pyscen's post saying 3.0 compliant)
Schucks..thank you.Reading does make life easier.I was too fixated and needing to going straight to the question.

3.3 LTS came out just now, let's hope they will bother updating the exporter :) there are some quite near features on both .2 .3 really, and more so third party addons.

@NWSim that happens to me too, only work if the materials aren't PBR, i.e. you just assign a colour to a mesh, so the fix is probably rather simple as Blender hasn't change materials that much from .1 to .2 really. The only way it works is with a simple node, you put the baked texture in the three pbr inputs then it exports fine even in .2 however that isn't ideal for complex objects or if you have to mix MSFS materials.

Tried it yesterday as I use tons of addons, to include PBR Texture paint in Blender, I do it all in 3.2 and just installed 3.1 to export, until hopefully they update to 3.3 as that is a long term support.

I tested this exporter a while ago and it worked. But I just tried to export a new file in a new project - and got this error:
1666892263703.png

This was in 3.3. I also installed 3.1.2 but I get the same error. Not sure what to do, as it did work before, but I don't know what has changed... Any ideas?
Here's another error:
I have tested the exporter in July and it appeared to work, it did create a proper file set for an object. However now, after a huge amount of time spent in modeling a terminal in my project, when I tried to export, it throws an error. What's even worse, the file I tested on, back in July, also returns an error. I installed Blender 3.1.2 and tried there - same error. All materials are converted. Please help, I can't work on the project if I can't export the files.

location: <unknown location>:-1 Error: Python: Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\Users\Roman\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.1\scripts\addons\io_scene_gltf2_msfs\io\msfs_multi_export.py", line 171, in execute MSFS_OT_MultiExportGLTF2.export( File "C:\Users\Roman\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.1\scripts\addons\io_scene_gltf2_msfs\io\msfs_multi_export.py", line 45, in export bpy.ops.export_scene.gltf( File "D:\Program Files\Blender 3.1\3.1\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 132, in __call__ ret = _op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw) RuntimeError: Error: Python: Traceback (most recent call last): File "D:\Program Files\Blender 3.1\3.1\scripts\addons\io_scene_gltf2\__init__.py", line 651, in execute return gltf2_blender_export.save(context, export_settings) File "D:\Program Files\Blender 3.1\3.1\scripts\addons\io_scene_gltf2\blender\exp\gltf2_blender_export.py", line 46, in save json, buffer = __export(export_settings) File "D:\Program Files\Blender 3.1\3.1\scripts\addons\io_scene_gltf2\blender\exp\gltf2_blender_export.py", line 71, in __export json = __fix_json(exporter.glTF.to_dict()) File "D:\Program Files\Blender 3.1\3.1\scripts\addons\io_scene_gltf2\io\com\gltf2_io.py", line 1203, in to_dict result["materials"] = from_union([lambda x: from_list(lambda x: to_class(Material, x), x), from_none], File "D:\Program Files\Blender 3.1\3.1\scripts\addons\io_scene_gltf2\io\com\gltf2_io.py", line 56, in from_union assert False AssertionError location: D:\Program Files\Blender 3.1\3.1\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py:132 location: <unknown location>:-1

Last edited:
This has something to do with materials. If I create a test cube with a MSFS Srandard material it works OK and exports without errors - although all images are named image.png, image-1.png and so on, instead of material name or something meaningful. That also means multiple images for same materials on different objects?

But as soon as I change material from "Standard" to "Parallax" (which I use extensively in my sceneries) - I get the same error!

What's worse, if I check the "day/night cycle" checkbox even on "Standard" material - I get the same error immediately!

And checking "Collision Material" results in the same error!

So either "Parallax" or "Day/Nifht cycle" or "Collision Material" do not work, and result in the fatal error.

This is a major disaster! I have spent a lot of time on creating an Asset Library and converting/migrating all my materials (about a hundred of them) to the new format. Now it turns out nothing can't be exported, and basically this Asobo Blender Exporter is unusable, because it can't export parallax, day/night cycle and collision, which I always use. Please tell me there's something with my setup that's wrong and can be fixed, and it's not a dead end...

I think I solved my issue, though it took most of the day eliminating different factors. In case it's useful to others, here's what helped:

1. Installing Blender 3.1.0 - that exact version, newer versions may be problematic.

2. Completely erasing blender user folder, where all settings and addons are stored, and not importing previous Blender settings. So a clean slate installation.

3. Fresh install of the exporter,

4. Adding and enabling the addons that I need, one by one.

So far it's working, though I haven't tested in MSFS yet. But my test files are exporting without errors and are creating plausible files. I have no idea what was corrupted in Blender settings or anywhere else in the Blender user folder that has resulted in those errors. But for now the issue is gone...

I think I solved my issue, though it took most of the day eliminating different factors. In case it's useful to others, here's what helped:

1. Installing Blender 3.1.0 - that exact version, newer versions may be problematic.

2. Completely erasing blender user folder, where all settings and addons are stored, and not importing previous Blender settings. So a clean slate installation.

3. Fresh install of the exporter,

4. Adding and enabling the addons that I need, one by one.

So far it's working, though I haven't tested in MSFS yet. But my test files are exporting without errors and are creating plausible files. I have no idea what was corrupted in Blender settings or anywhere else in the Blender user folder that has resulted in those errors. But for now the issue is gone...
same...3.1.2 works fine 3.3 did not work

Back