• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

GMAX crashing

Country
us-ohio
I couldn't find anything on this but here's the issue:
Gmax crashes whenever I try to navigate out of the default folder when opening files. For example, when I search for a texture to load on an object and it's not in the gmax folder, I'll try to click the "Look in" tab to grab another folder. However, the instant I do that gmax is frozen. Anyone know any solution? I have windows 10 if that makes a difference. Also I've tried running it as an administrator and it didn't get solved.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Is the program and/or the files you are looking for located in any Program Files folder? If so, you may still have permission problems.

Country
us-ohio
Is the program and/or the files you are looking for located in any Program Files folder? If so, you may still have permission problems.
My stuff is in the C drive and not in any of the Program Files folders

Country
greece
Gmax and Windows 10 are (unfortunately) not fully compatible. The reason for the problems you face is probably that incompatibility. There are several reports for problems occuring when the software runs on win10 environment. For starters try to run the program with other windows compatibility mode (XP or Vista). This may slightly change the appearance of the program in your screen (that happened to my laptop and I live with that).
DON'T try to open a file from "Look in". The program will freeze. This is not working with any compatibility mode. Try history or "up one level" button to navigate and make a selection from there. If you try to select one file from those that are already in the window below "look in" or navigate through that window (if you see folders in there) it may or may not work.

Additionally:
You will probably have a problem with the right click in the screen. Sometimes it does not work. If it works and after you close it, what was behind it may remain there until restatring the program. Try to change settings from "configure driver" to see if something works for you.
The material navigator button will also freeze the program unless you follow what is written in the link below (post #8):
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...ot-available-after-windows-10-upgrade.438506/
Finaly, you will probably have problem with the mouse wheel which will not zoom or unzoom wheh you try to use it in edit UVW's window of Unwrap UVW.
The solution on the net was for 3DSmax but it worked for me:
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/uvw-editor-zoom-in-win-10-problem-solved.441965/

*In the begining it is frustruating mostly due to the fact that the look in and the right click are used very usual. For myself it became a habit after a while although I still use it both in Win7 and Win10.

Good luck!!

-=Manwlo=-

Country
us-california
Regarding right-click problems, I assume you mean display of the quad menus? I recommend using the OpenGL driver. I find the DirectX driver has a lot of problems. Even with OpenGL driver sometimes quad menus have display issues but it seems much less common to me.

Country
greece
I ll try to explain. I right click somewhere in the screen. Menu appears. When I close it, the pixels of the screen at the place that it appeared are frozen. For example, if the menu appeared in front of a 3d object, when I close it this object remains there as a frozen image regardless what I do. It is a rectangle with the size of the menu which shows what was behind it at the time it was opened. The program works fine but it has a part on the screen that is frozen with this wierd image. The mouse pointer travels behind it. It remains there even if I open another file. The only way for it to go is to restart the program. Switching to OpenGL did nothing on that issue.
I hope I managed to describe it correctly.

-=Manwlo=-

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Switch to desktop view and back again to Gmax by pressing Windows key + D twice. That usually unfreezes the frozen bit.

D

Deleted member 1281

Also, for the frozen bits problem, you can try a recipe which is working on an older Max. Ridiculous as it may sound ... 1. Create a copy of gmax.exe, calling it gmax_2.exe. 2. On your desktop, make a copy of the invocation shortcut icon. Edit it via Properties to call gmax_2.exe. Done. Test. Report back.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Also, for the frozen bits problem, you can try a recipe which is working on an older Max. Ridiculous as it may sound ... 1. Create a copy of gmax.exe, calling it gmax_2.exe. 2. On your desktop, make a copy of the invocation shortcut icon. Edit it via Properties to call gmax_2.exe. Done. Test. Report back.

Are you suggesting a program named gmax.exe gets “special” treatment in Win10? That’s an unusual scenario, but it has happened before: Vista treated an older combat FS “specially” in online play: it refused to connect. The cure for that was to rename the exe and it connected happily thereafter...

Country
us-california
I've never seen this issue. There's a Redraw Scene on Window Expose setting in the Driver Settings, have you tried enabling that?

D

Deleted member 1281

Are you suggesting a program named gmax.exe gets “special” treatment in Win10? That’s an unusual scenario, but it has happened before: Vista treated an older combat FS “specially” in online play: it refused to connect. The cure for that was to rename the exe and it connected happily thereafter...
Haven't a clue really, but it does work in my Max 2011. Seems it's one those things that have neither rhyme nor reason.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

I have another example of this. In my Clickteam Install Creator, when I switched to a System 7 computer I would open the install.iit file (the data file that contains the parameters for a given install) as usual. When I tried to save it, the installer program would crash. But when I used Save As and saved the file as install_TRG.iit, then it saved fine. And then later, opening the install_TRG.iit file allowed me to save it as usual. No crashes.