Ground Poly Wizard not Compiling.

I used the Ground Poly Wizard a few years back and successfully compiled a number of ground polys for P3Dv3. I’m now trying to compile some new ones for P3Dv4 and although I’m following the same procedure as before, my polys are not compiling. I’ve tried to compile via FSX and P3Dv3 as well but with no success.

I’m selecting the bgl to convert and added all the necessary info but when I select compile all my input data disappears after only about a second but nothing has compiled. The Event log on the main screen says ‘finished writing of file’ but nothing has been produced.

Is there any way I can check on what is happening and why no file has been compiled?

Cheers,
Graham

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

It would help to see the event log. Probably there is some error in there.

That's the problem Arno, there is nothing unusual in the Event Log. All textures have loaded ok, Starting writing of bgl file ok, Starting writing of xml file ok, Finished writing of xml file ok, Parsing document ok, Parse complete ok, Finished writing of bgl ok. No error messages whatsoever. All this in one or two seconds, far to quick to compile a file. No file produced though.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
If you see all those messages, some output would have to be created as well.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Do a search on your computer for the file - it might be hiding somewhere. Also, try compiling the BGL file to the Desktop or root folder of your hard drive, in case there is a permissions problem.

I did a complete search a couple of times and no file was found anywhere on my system. The process is so fast, It is most likely nothing is being compiled.

I also note that when I load the base model file for the ground poly, it shows properly in the MCX main window as illustrated in the following screenshot.

Ground Poly.JPG

However when I load the same file in the Ground Poly Wizard, the main screen is blank however all the layers show in the GPW screen. The model does appear for a second and then disappears during loading. This is a screenshot just prior to compiling.

Ground Poly 2.JPG

And again just after selecting Convert.

Ground Poly 3.JPG

As I said earlier, the Convert process is probably over in less than a second which implies nothing is actually happening. Ground Polys I've converted previously can take from 5 or 6 seconds to about 20 seconds depending on their complexity.

This one has me completely stumped as I just do not understand what is happening and I can't find an error report or audit trail to help resolve it.

Cheers,
Graham

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

It's weird that the preview is empty after you load the object in the wizard. Can you try to disable the option to filter out non-ground polygons or to project them on the ground? I guess one of those might be related to nothing showing in the preview.

Thanks Arno, we've made progress. Deselecting the filter now enables the GPW t recognise the whole model and is now doing a proper compile. The only problem is, the output ground poly is at 90 degrees to the ground instead of flat.

The model is a flat model and sits on the ground when placed as a scenery item. I'm not sure why the GPW is not seeing it that way. Is there a setting I should check to make the GPW recognise the model as a flat model

Something seems to have changed within the GPW. I just went back to some base models I successfully created ground polys from about 3 years ago using the GPW and none of these are now being recognised by the Wizard. None will convert to a ground poly using the current version of MCX. I'm using Version 1.4.0.0 cbd41df3

Success. I reinstalled an older version of MCX (Version 1.4.00 1a8f7e68) and the ground poly compiled flawlessly first time. It would seem there may be a problem with the Ground Poly Wizard within the newer versions of Model Converter X.

Cheers,
Graham

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Could you send me one of your models for testing what goes on?

Might also be that you changed the setting for the z-axis direction, as that can affect the import of the model.