• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Ground Polygon Wizard Coordinates (yes, again.)

Messages
108
Country
us-newmexico
Hi Arno,

I've used MXC now to create a library object I made in Sketchup that I can place using EZ scnery - very nice tool. I've also created a concrete apron with day and night textures and used MXC to apply the night textures as well. I have also watched each and every one of your videos and have looked at several threads.

I say all of this so you know that while my question is most likely really really dumb, I really have done my homework here.

So, here's my question: When you set the coordinates in MCX, exactly what coordinates are these? There are many many coordinates at an airport - what exactly are the coordinates you are referring to? Are they the same as shown in the AFCAD file?

And, how do I align my Sketchup model so everything is properly placed relative to these coordinates?

Thanks!

And thanks again for a great tool!
 
I believe the coordinates are for the 0,0,0 point of the object? Set the 0,0,0 point in Sketchup to be a known coordinate, and use that in MCX.

Hope this helps,
 
Hi,

You need to set the coordinates of the point that is the origin of your SketchUp scene. It is where the two red axis meet in the ModelConverterX preview.

Which coordinate that is depends on you. You can choose it yourself while drawing the polygons.

If you have used a Google Earth background image, it might be that SketchUp already saved the coordinate for you. In that case you need to export as KMZ and import that in ModelConverterX.
 
OK, so to make sure I've got this:

1. Create my Sketchup model. The axis origin is the "placeholder" for the coordinates.

2. Bring my model into MCX. When I type in the actual coordinates, they correspond to the origin in MCX.

3. When I get the final BGL, the object will be placed using the point that was at the origin as the coordinates for the object.

So if I used a big squad for an airport, centered it on the origin, then the coordinates I type in to MCX would correspond with the center of the square.

If this is the way it works, that makes a lot of sense.

Thank you for your help!

-MJL
 
Back
Top