• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Hanger model Size problem

Country
us-utah
I am using Blender 2.79, and FSX. I made a hanger using blender, placed material colors on it, then using the Blender2FSXTools I export it selecting Directx for FSX/P3d option. I don't use the scenery properties section because I use Instant Scenery for placement. I use library maker to make the bgl. I then place the bgl and text files in my addon scenery folder. I start FSX, go to the airport, start Instant Scenery, find my model and then try to place it. The hanger model has now grown to three times the size. Normal hanger size is 250' front X view. The hanger is now almost 700' X direction wide with corresponding large Y and Z values. :eek:
Checked again the size and rotation in Blender. Tried again, same result. Loaded the .x file into MCX and got the same huge hanger.
I then exported the model using the collada option. Loaded model up in MCX and it is normal size. Exported said model into FSX. It is the correct size.
Now my question--why is the hanger huge using the Directx option and normal size using collada option?

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Maybe the DirectX exporter does not take into account you switched to the imperial system. Maybe it makes it 250 meters long.

Country
us-utah
Now that is a possibility, however Krispy1001 videos on how to make a plane shows him setting up Blender for the imperial system and his model was the correct size.
Any other ideas?

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

Make sure.the scale is reset to 1.0 for X, Y, and Z. Otherwise... i suggest in sharing the blender file here.

Country
us-utah
Doug...Scale is 1.0 and here is the blender file.
George...Feet
I did shorten the file name when I used the 2FSXTools. I have not applied any textures as yet. Only used materials and wanted to see it in FSX before texture. See opening post for problem.

Thanks

Attachments

• KLBE_4_Hngr-2U-V.zip
    173.1 KB · Views: 182

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello and Sorry about the long delay...

After I had to resave the blender file to my system (manual setting the location of the modeldef),... I'm getting the same results as you. I can confirm that the Scale is set at 1.0 for X, Y and Z. After changing to Metric from Imperial, I'm still getting the difference in size as well. I can only speculate that maybe the XtoMdl file is having issues with the conversion, such as not any textures (only materials). As you have mentioned already, the collada is converting correctly into MCX. The other possibility is that some of functions used within Blender could be causing a size difference (such as the grease pencil). I'm assuming that there is not any animations for the objects within, so the best option is to convert it as a collada file and go from there. Try replacing the materials with a texture and see what happens.

I know its not much help to you, but you can at least confirm that its happening elsewhere and not just your system. Hopefully someone else can take a look and respond to this as well.

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Would it be worth an export as a dae , in to mcx and look to see if it fired up the same scale as you expect. Just eliminating the obvious to see if the less than obvious turns up?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello... gfxpilot

A dae file is a collada file, therefore he has as well as I.

Country
us-utah
Thanks Doug, at least I'm not totally crazy. You are seeing the same thing as I am. I'll keep trying to figure something out. In the meantime collada still works.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello @2wheelsup

I have found 2 areas in which the Scale that has not been reset to 1.0 in the X, Y, and Z.

2018-09-12 08_00_53-Greenshot.png
2018-09-12 08_03_03-Greenshot.png

The Empty Vert Pict and Empty_Horz Pict both need to be reset.

Country
us-utah
Thanks, I'll try it. I wasn't aware that the empties would affect the model size.

Update: Still HUGE!!!!:yikes: Empties don't appear to affect the size. Back to the drawing board

Last edited:
Country
us-florida
I exported the hangar both as a collada file and as a direct.x file using the Blender2FSX/P3D tool. I imported both files into MCX and looked at their bounding box size with the object info tool. It appears that the dimensions coming out of Blender are in meters as evidenced by the collada file data in MCX. When I sent the model through the Blender2FSX/P3D tool somehow the dimensions are converted to imperial feet and coming out of XtoMdle the dimensions are being treated as if they are still in meters. The Z value of the hangar model in Blender is 43'6". The Z axis bounding box value of 14.294 from the collada file is in meters already. I've attached images of the bounding box dimensions below. If you divide the Z size of 46.895 by 14.294 you get 3.280747. I normally use 3.28 to convert feet to meters or the other way around. I exported the collada file from MCX and placed it at an airport project of mine and it is normal size. See the 3rd image.
Ed
Hangar_Info_Incorrect_Scale.jpg Hangar_Info_Correct_Scale.jpg Correct_Scale_Hangar.jpg

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
@MANOCHVARMA RAMAN

Seems that the Blender2FSX/P3D Toolset has a bug, concerning a imperial to meters - not converting properly. See above. I don't remember this being a problem in earlier versions.

Thanks, Ed.

Country
malaysia
@MANOCHVARMA RAMAN

Seems that the Blender2FSX/P3D Toolset has a bug, concerning a imperial to meters - not converting properly. See above. I don't remember this being a problem in earlier versions.

Thanks, Ed.
I don't change any codes on this conversion for the latest version of Blender2FSX/P3D toolset. And I think blender toolset just get the reading directly from blender itself. It doesn't have any conversion codes there.

If you look at the blender file, it has some conversion on the Unit Scale (Red circle on the below image)

1.PNG

I think that the one making that conversion problem. If you change that to 1.0, then it is making the model 3 times bigger. So, i think that should be solved first for the toolset to work properly.

If you open a brand new blender file and you set the unit, example:
imperial = 5ft
Unit scale = 1.0
and then if you change the length to Metric it should gives you
without changing the
unit scale = 1.0

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

I wasn't suggesting that you changed the Toolset... I was only stating that I haven't seen this before in previous versions. I'm not following you on the conversion. 1 foot = 0.304800 meters, is correct,... The unit scale is not being changed to 1.0. Per your image, it is reading 1 foot = 0.304800 meters. Changing the unit scale to anything else doesn't change the exported size (tested). So, when exporting, to a .x file it should be correct in the size when using the unit scale of 0.304800 meters. So if you could clarify on your example,...

Country
malaysia
Hi Doug,
Hello...

I wasn't suggesting that you changed the Toolset... I was only stating that I haven't seen this before in previous versions.
Me too haven't seen this before.
I'm not following you on the conversion. 1 foot = 0.304800 meters, is correct,... The unit scale is not being changed to 1.0. Per your image, it is reading 1 foot = 0.304800 meters. Changing the unit scale to anything else doesn't change the exported size (tested). So, when exporting, to a .x file it should be correct in the size when using the unit scale of 0.304800 meters. So if you could clarify on your example,...
Thanks for the conversion data. I forgot to check the conversion from ft to metre.

I have requested @krispy1001 to get me some info on this matter. I hope he could help me to identify where the problem is. Until that, please be patient.

Last edited:
Country
malaysia
Hi @Pyscen,

Meanwhile waiting reply from Kris, I did some testing and found that the unit scale should be 1.0 all the time. Even If it is changed, then the toolset will convert it to match 1.0. I think that is how it was coded. I need @krispy1001 to help me clarify this.

If anyone has any other models with unit scale less than 1.0, maybe they can send the models for testing.

*Note:
I would suggest, in future, please make sure the unit scale is always 1 when modelling to avoid this kind of problems.

Last edited: