FSX Help please with daytime lighting

Hi

I've just created some Papi lights for my scenery which are extra to the Papis that currently show from the AFCAD. These have been done using the separation plane method, and look fine when flying down the approach angle. However, as with all my custom LIGHT_NAV lights, they have a poor visible range during the daytime. I've a funny feeling that LODs are needed, but the LOD tutorial is only for FS2002. Is that what I need to employ here, or am I in the wrong direction? If it is what I need, does the FS2002 method still work for FS9 lighting?

Many thanks

Will

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Will,

No, LODs will not help in this case. It is a known limitation of the BGL_LIGHT command that their visibility is not as good as the hardcoded default runway lighting.

Hi Arno

Thanks for clearing that up. I presume that using FX files would also produce the same limited effect, or is that the path i must take?

Will

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Using effects has different limitations :D. They don't have this visibility problem, but in general I think they use a little more performance.

Hi Arno

I thought as much, that's why I used bgl lights. I think for these steep papis I've made I can make an exception as they aren't on 99% of the time as they are really an old training aid for London City.

I'll try to work out how to do the same with effects, however I presume that the separation plane method is out the window for effects, so is the same principal available for effects?

Thanks

Will

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Will,

I am not that good with effects, maybe you can define a viewing angle inside the FX file, but I am not sure.

Hi Arno

Thanks for your help. I'll probably leave them for now but come back to this issue in the future once the rest of the scenery is complete. Hopefully by then I'll know a little more on fx files :).

Will