• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX How to VTP Water Polygon, is that even possible ?

Country
madagascar
Hi.

We can use VTP polygons to make land textured patches on ground, draw them as precise as LOD 13 cells I believe (about 4m precision)
But for water (ocean, lakes, river), I've only found VTP water with no texture/class selection/definition (only altitude), and the only way to control the texture type beneath is to define (I believe) the LOD13 cell water class, which is... really not precise (that's a 1km width block with the same water type inside)

Is this even possible ?
For FSX, FS9.

Side note : I'm not talking here of Ground polygons (flattenned or mesh hugging), where you can apply translucent watery textures to 3D polygons over water areas (even if it's usually flat). I know how to do that, but my expectations are detailed water (shores, coral reefs, beaches...) with only the default VTP, no textures added, if possible, like it is with land.
Just asking as my google search results are so far pointing me to how to make islands and lakes etc, but none to define how to set the water texture of a polygon. I know we can define our own texture for land polys, but if I'm not mistaken, those textured polys do not benefit the water effect (shiny and wavy). The purpose being taking advantage of default textures as much as possible.

Side note 2 : I haven't tried one trick though : perhaps, defining a land polygon, finding the Scasm (?) file, then attempting to replace the land index by a water one, if there is no overlap or other barriers... Sorry guys, kind of tired to search, so I'm asking here.

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
As far as I'm aware, polys cant be used to define the texture of the water. This is done through the WaterClass tool, which, as you already stated, is only so accurate. Also, even if there is a way to do it with a poly, I'm not sure that the texture would blend well with the surrounding textures.

Country
madagascar
Thanks for clarifying it out. Would have been a real surprise the other way around.
even if there is a way to do it with a poly, I'm not sure that the texture would blend well with the surrounding textures.
You're right. It would never get anywhere as satisfying as a custom ground textured polygon, both in precision, accuracy, blending and quality.

But my motives lies in the fact that not everyone can or is willing to install all addons out there (buy all the payware ones ?). One usually focuses on part of the world he/she flies most. For the rest of that virtual world, it will be basic everything, and we all know the hassle of managing hundreds of scenery folders, or trying to find and uninstall some BGLs you've put in one of the "dump there" folders where lies thousand of other BGLs from dozens of creators.

Imagine, instead of making one scenery folder per addon from someone/group, I only use one to dump BGLs of the same type whoever is the creator (including me), like what Aeroworx did with those entire regions/countries VTP improvements, and never care about scenery library layering (loading priority). That's the reason why "no added textures, use default everything at max capabilities, therefore, only bgl files" :) The same concept applies to default ADE/AF2 files or traffic flightplans. In theory, we only need a max of 5 scenery directory declarations for all VTP addons of the entire world, whatever the detail level or aimed quality. Only a consistend naming convention is required (to quickly locate specific files).

The VTP capability really is a powerfull feature of FS, if only it could be more precise with some added options.
Of course, this only applies to FSX/FS9, current P3D and current XPlane. With MSFS, you already get the entire world photoreal via internet (though, there are still tons of imperfections and glitches, and it depends on your internet bandwidth and patience).

I don't claim to have a wonderful concept. I'm just getting the max I can with what I can afford, for me obviously, and hopefully share with other people in the same situation. But yeah, at this point, better shores/coral reefs/beaches on said platforms can only be achieved with photoreal ground poly (as photoreal terrain - as far as I know - only works with land, not water - the shine/wavy effet remains partially masked).

Again, Thanks.

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
But yeah, at this point, better shores/coral reefs/beaches on said platforms can only be achieved with photoreal ground poly (as photoreal terrain - as far as I know - only works with land, not water - the shine/wavy effet remains partially masked).
I cant vouch for X-Plane, but as far as FSX & P3D go, photoreal terrain can be used on both land and water. The only time the water would be partially masked is a transition from the land to water using only a blendmask. If a watermask is defined, the water effects will overlay the imagery.

SolX_v054_020118_5.jpg

Country
madagascar
If a watermask is defined, the water effects will overlay the imagery
Oh, my bad, I didn't knew that ! That's great (for me). Thank you for pointing that out.

Well, at this point, change of plans : stop supporting FS9 on the attempt to improve Madagascar island and everything around, and consider ground polys on water with wise use of limited textures + VTP watermask.