• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS I can't make part of a texture transparent.

Hi everyone. I am trying to create a solid wall with no glass windows. So I would like to pierce the wall by creating transparent areas in the texture. I applied the MSFS_Standard parameter to the material and then assigned a .tga texture with an alpha channel. But now how do I explain to FS that he has to pierce the wall?

I tried to activate both blend and masking parameters but I got, in the first case, a strange effect (normals are correct)

1609872893554.png

In the second case the texture is not loaded by FS and the object is all white.
How should I set the material to obtain the desired effect?

Since there are so many windows I thought of using this trick to minimize the polygons, and not having to model each frame of each window and then, in sandwitch, a polygon in the middle that makes glass effect and another inside that clone the outside polygon with normal inverted.

Many Thanks.

Country
unitedkingdom
What does it look like if you turn on backface culling? This sometimes helps.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Country
unitedkingdom
yes, it is active
What do you have the blend mode set to?. I have found that in some instances clip mode is better. Worth a try.

I did see another post where the user was having similar problems to yours but unfortunately I cant remember thethread title. Sorry.

Stinger

Thi is the object with only Blender materials What I wanted to do was keep the orange part and punch the windows but without shaping the opening. So I would have had the window with glass but without modeling the frame and saving polygons.

1609935410070.png

I set the blending to the material, via the MSFS shader added with the pugin available here on the forum. As Blend Mode I used both masking and blend. With the second I have the result of the previous post, while with the first in FS the texture does not load and the object remains white.

Now I try to search for the post you are referring to I hope to find it :-D

Country
unitedkingdom
If you only want the reflectivity of the glass you could place a window sized plane just in front of where the window should be then apppy MSFS glass properties to the plane . I know some modellers do this.

Good luck
Stinger

Country
unitedkingdom
Thi is the object with only Blender materials What I wanted to do was keep the orange part and punch the windows but without shaping the opening. So I would have had the window with glass but without modeling the frame and saving polygons.

View attachment 67207

I set the blending to the material, via the MSFS shader added with the pugin available here on the forum. As Blend Mode I used both masking and blend. With the second I have the result of the previous post, while with the first in FS the texture does not load and the object remains white.

Now I try to search for the post you are referring to I hope to find it :-D
Found it!

The post is in "3d Objects General" forum. The post is titled "Strange transparency in converted 3d object faces"

Good luck
Stinger

Last edited: