• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS I have proved that ADE 19 is not updating footprints for changes to scenery objects.

Thanks. I would have thought that going back (to main menu) and choosing to fly somewhere completely different (in the world) and then going back again and selecting the area where the updated scenery is would force MSFS to reread the relevant scenery files, I think it did with FSX. What a pity.
The community folder packages are loaded when MSFS starts. Two clues: 1. A bad scenery package in the community folder will keep MSFS from starting. 2. Airport information in the World Map includes aircraft parking layout per the updated scenery in the community folder. In developer mode apparently the community folder files are reread between flights, but I'm not sure it's that simple.

Thanks for the heads up.
Yes I know all about a bad scenery package.
I learned from my mistake (of not using 'fault finder' in ADE) that selecting a newly created airport which does NOT have a runway (I developed a water airport and as such there are no such things in the real world as a runway only an area for takeoof and landing) will not work in MSFS (I had everything including parking (dock) locations except a runway set up). As soon as I added a (fictitious) runway it worked.
;) I'll try using developer mode next time and see if it makes any difference for me.

Last edited:
I am at present having my lunch eating 'humble pie'.
I have been able to prove that when a scenery object is modified and copied to the modellib folder that using the LOM Tools>Update file (and selecting the appropriate .bgl file) does update everything INCLUDING the FOOTPRINT. I wonder why selecting the appropriate library, then clicking on DELETE ALL, then SAVE, then ADD FILE, selecting the appropriate .bgl does NOT update the footprint. Maybe a trap for the unwary?
At least I now know to use the Tools menu in LOM.
Thanks for your patience and I guess when I 'complained' about the footprint not being updated everyone was aware to the Toils menu in LOM and wondered why I was having problems.
As removing/deleting the ADE 19 folder, reinstalling ADE 19 and rebuilding my project did update the footprint it seems perhaps that there must be some file in the ADE 19 installation containing the footprint for the project and maybe not being updated/replaced when DELETE ALL, ADD (library) was performed?

Pleased to hear that it works now. ADE ships with a set of footprints indexed by GUID. These are stock objects. Deleting objects in the LOM does not remove footprints associated with the objects. Maybe it should. When you add an object if the footprint is present then a new one won't be created. Updating a bgl file for changed footprints should delete the original and generate a new one. The 'correct process' is generally to add the library object bgl the first time you load it to the LOM and there after use Update. Generating footprints is a resource intensive activity which is why ADE recreates them as little as possible and only on demand.

Thanks Jon for advising how it currently works. I am more than happy now to use the Tools menu in LOM to update file which is a lot easier and faster than deleting a library and adding it back.

Back