• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Identifying Parking spot

Country
us-california
Hi,
I'd like to eliminate the need for progressive taxi to get to an assigned parking spot. As a first step I need to know the number of the parking spot. Using APChart allows me to identify the physical location.
A simple gauge to display the number seems pretty easy. Any ideas/suggestions/alternatives?
Jim F.

Country
us-california
Hi volo,
I wasn't familiar with PFE so I googled it. I have no need for any guidance other than identifying the parking spot number. Will the program provide this?
Thanks. Jim F.

Country
us-california
Hi again,
The parking spot I want to go to is the one that ATC assigns. I just don't how to determine the number. I generally fly GA cross country, land and secure the plane at an airport and save the flight. For my next flight I reload the flight, determine where I'd like to go next and fly again. The problem arises at a controlled airport. Unless I park in accordance with ATC's wishes and park where they want me to, I can't continue my flight and get further info from the ATC pop up. It seems that PFE just substitutes their guidance for what would be given by the progressive taxi data. I have no wish for that. Prior to reaching my destination airport I enter the ICAO into APChart and 95% percent of the time I know whether I should exit right or left. From that point on it's a piece of cake taxiing to any parking spot. I can taxi to fueling to satisfy ATC but most of the time I'd rather not.
Jim F.

Country
italy
Hi again,
The parking spot I want to go to is the one that ATC assigns. I just don't how to determine the number. I generally fly GA cross country, land and secure the plane at an airport and save the flight. For my next flight I reload the flight, determine where I'd like to go next and fly again. The problem arises at a controlled airport. Unless I park in accordance with ATC's wishes and park where they want me to, I can't continue my flight and get further info from the ATC pop up. It seems that PFE just substitutes their guidance for what would be given by the progressive taxi data. I have no wish for that. Prior to reaching my destination airport I enter the ICAO into APChart and 95% percent of the time I know whether I should exit right or left. From that point on it's a piece of cake taxiing to any parking spot. I can taxi to fueling to satisfy ATC but most of the time I'd rather not.
Jim F.

ATC do not asign "you" a parking spot. They only asign parking to AI. So you have to have a programme like PFE. That's the only way that "you" get a parking spot of your choice.

The SDK tool called traffic Toolbox has a AI chart called Traffic Explorer. When your plane or the AI Plane land and slow to the rollout state (while still on the runway) ATC assigns the parking spot in advance. When you crossover and then stop at the 1st holdshort node ATC confirms the parking spot number it has assigned during rollout. There is a slight chance it might have changed if multiple runways are in use. None of this has to do with progressive taxi.

ATC uses the number of the parking spot regardless of what type parking the plane is using. Example, ATC will say taxi to Gate 4 or Gate A4 if gates are in use. Everything else is taxi to General Aviation for Cargo, Military, Ramp, etc. and the parking number can be seen in the Taffic Explorer. If you need a reference on where the parking spot is located based on its number then use ADE's parking list.

Once you know what parking spot number ATC parked you at then on the next flight use Go To and select that same parking spot number.

ATC do not asign "you" a parking spot. They only asign parking to AI. So you have to have a programme like PFE. That's the only way that "you" get a parking spot of your choice.

ATC assigns the User Plane a parking spot, it might not be where you want. In that case download the VIP parking tutorial and learn how to get ATC to assign the correct parking spot to your user plane.

Country
us-california
Hi,
I'm getting lost here. I'll try to clarify my request. When I exit the runway and request taxi to parking I'm given directions as to which taxiways to use but no information as to the exact parking spot to go to. If I turn on progressive taxi the final destination is clearly shown. If I don't park there I can't avail myself of ATC services any longer. I have no preference as to the particular parking spot. Just the one that ATC assigns me.
Jim F.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I think he's asking how he would get that information from a gauge. I don't think that's possible?

Country
us-california
Yes. Eventually I'd like to create a gauge on which the number of the assigned parking spot would be displayed. I need to find out how to get that information first. As the parking spot is clearly identified by using progressive taxiing the information is contained within the program. Retrieving that info is what I'm trying to do.
I find progressive taxi to be a real distraction from the simulation. Surely others feel likewise. An alternative would be the ability to satisfy ATC by parking at any spot within the assigned area. I would find this preferable to a gauge but it seems that this would require a modification to the FSX internal code. A bit too daunting for me to even consider.
Jim F.

Country
us-ohio
While the information is available to the progressive taxi code, which is internal to the sim... it is not available to gauges or any other interface. To obtain the information would require hacking into the core sim.

Country
italy
I find progressive taxi to be a real distraction from the simulation. Surely others feel likewise. An alternative would be the ability to satisfy ATC by parking at any spot within the assigned area. I would find this preferable to a gauge but it seems that this would require a modification to the FSX internal code. A bit too daunting for me to even consider.
Jim F.

That's why people use PFE!!

Country
us-california
Hi volo,
Perhaps I'm missing something. I googled PFE and as far as I could tell the parking spot number was not available. It simply seemed that gauges duplicated the visual information provided by the progressive arrows. Not only the final destination but taxi guidance as well. To my knowledge aids such as this do not exist in the real world, at least not for GA aircraft. I'm trying to minimize the game aspects of FSX and maximize the simulation. I'll check PFE further.
Jim F.

jfrench

I must be missing something. The assigned parking spot number is always listed in the Traffic Toolbox Explorer when the airplane lands and rollsout on the runway. I don't need a gauge since ADE list all the parking spot numbers for that airport and identifies where they are. ATC tells me what taxiway to use and ADE tells me what parking spot to park in.

Country
italy
Hi volo,
Perhaps I'm missing something. I googled PFE and as far as I could tell the parking spot number was not available. It simply seemed that gauges duplicated the visual information provided by the progressive arrows. Not only the final destination but taxi guidance as well. To my knowledge aids such as this do not exist in the real world, at least not for GA aircraft. I'm trying to minimize the game aspects of FSX and maximize the simulation. I'll check PFE further.
Jim F.

Progressive taxi is done in the real world. Especially at large airports. The crew is told to "Follow the Greens". Within PFE you set up all the parking spots you want for each airport. Thereafter you have a choice of either using a gauge to direct you or your PO telling you when and where to turn.