• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Improvement suggestions

Country
us-missouri
3DS files into Gmax, re texture them and do all that other crap

Manfred that is the difficult and time-consuming part. Making the 3D model is not too tough, especially of a building, generally. But to get the texture maps "just right" is an art...and it takes time.

Country
australia
Mace, whilst modeling may be reasonably OK in gmax, placement definitely ain't. Google sketch up imports a plan view of the area you want to re create from Google Earth and you actually build on that so the buildings have all their correct co ordinates.

I don't have any real issues with texturing in gmax either, but nothing will ever beat the ease and logical method sketch up uses.

Anyways, I did once get models into FS9 but can't remember how. :eek: I'll have to start from scratch again I think.:rolleyes:

Country
argentina
1. an option to "snap to QMID grid boundary".

2. In the Vertices editor, make it easier to select the lat/lon. Currently it takes several clicks double clicks for the LAT/LON value to be selected. This seems to be a textbox focus problem.

3. Show QMID boundaries/grid

4. Option to select a different text editor other than Notepad

Aaaaaameeeeeen!!!! :D :D
You read my mind!! Show QMID boundaries would be perfect!! And i suppport make a shoreline from a polygon too. It's quite confusing if u have to edit manually from a polygon to a line string with 200 points.

Country
norway
More detailed tutorial

I've just started using FSX KML and the only thing I really miss is a more detailed tutorial that can be read by a beginner. As things are written right now you need a lot of beforehand knowledge to figure things out.

Also, an explenation of the more advanced XML commands would be nice (The landclasspolys, roads and utilities ones are obvious, but there are a few exotic ones).

Thanks for making such the program available to the FS community! If you can make it a bit easier for a numnut like me to understand I can give back to the community a few decent sceneries :)

MatthewS

Resource contributor
Country
australia
I've just started using FSX KML and the only thing I really miss is a more detailed tutorial that can be read by a beginner. As things are written right now you need a lot of beforehand knowledge to figure things out.

Also, an explenation of the more advanced XML commands would be nice (The landclasspolys, roads and utilities ones are obvious, but there are a few exotic ones).

Thanks for making such the program available to the FS community! If you can make it a bit easier for a numnut like me to understand I can give back to the community a few decent sceneries :)

You've probably already seen this?
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=FSX_KML_Tutorial

also... there's a good post here on creating islands
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5516

Country
norway
Thanks for taking the time to answer all my posts Matthew!

I've read through the forum, tutorial and wiki, but still I'm kinda lost. What I'd like the tutorial to be is more of a step by step cookbook for dummies. The topics covered in the tutorial lack some steps to be fully understandable for a beginner. Also, including a few kml files would be nice as they explain better than words whats being done. The lower the threshold for using this program the more people can start creating good sceneries.

Mind you, I'm not complaining at all! This is a freeware product and I realise you haven't got the time to make a full manual etc. Keep up the good work, but if you or any other user find the time, please add some more detailed descriptions in the tutorial.

Country
scotland
Hi Folks

Matthew -
Excellent tool.

Suggestion
Currently all filenames are converted to uppercase. :redflag:
Is there any reason for doing this ?

If not,
Please could you ensure input filename case is honoured. :)

Many thanks
ATB
Paul

Country
newzealand
Firstly- Awesome tool MatthewS! I sincerely mean that.

One thing that I have been struggling with (lets just say I can't code for peanuts) is creating proper extrusion bridges. Currently FSX KML allows the user to add lines and compile as bridges, but these are the older style bridges which don't work well over undulating terrain or for lines greater than 2 vertices.

Is it possible to add the ability to draw proper extrusion bridges?

Cheers

Country
panama
The ability to place scenery library objects with the POINT type (pushpin) rather than a PolyLine. The reason being that a single library object is just a single pinpointed location.

Point (pushpin): Scenery library objects
Polyline (path): Rivers, Roads, Shorelines, Coastlines
Polygon (polygon): Areas or areas where a scenery library object is autogen type

Country
newzealand
Please please please update this to work under a windows 7 environment and with the new kml format :D

Country
panama
Please please please update this to work under a windows 7 environment and with the new kml format :D

Yes, I hope so too, FSX KML is in desperate need of an update, it is becoming so painful to use it with nowadays Windows OS and the new KML format.

If not considering such an update then *please* consider making the project open source in CodePlex.com so that somebody else might take the lead and keep this tool working (time permitting of course)