• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Installing custom autogen configuration

ollyau

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Oops, the third issue was just an error in my code to automatically extract the Flight symbols. The PAK files contain a PropDefs folder where the symbols actually reside, and I didn't realize that when extracting the PAK.

Since it's to be used on end user's computers, I don't think it's a good idea to require modification, in which case, I'd go with the workarounds.

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Ok, I updated the code and committed the changes. Can you try again and let me know if you see any other issues? If not, I will do a binary release as well, and call it stable.

ollyau

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Ran all your unit tests and made a program to load some FSX mission SPB files. Seems to work. :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Great to heat about the library, I'm eager to try it in scenproc soon.

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Awesome. It would be good to get another set of eyes on it to see if there is anything from the API perspective that could use a design change.

The main area I'm thinking about is whether I should change some of the property accessors to be more type safe (instead of just returning arrays of basic types).

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'll let you know after I have tested.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I finally had some time to test the library this evening and it is working fine. It's quite easy to replace my current code that parses a XML of a decompiled SPB (using spb2xml) with your library. So a very useful library I would say!

Just one question, I noticed the binary is compiled with .NET 4.5.1 now, is that required or could an older framework version also be used? At the moment my tools don't use .NET 4.5.1. Actually they are still at 2.0/3.5. I'm planning to upgrade soon, but probably to 4.0, since I read that 4.5 is not available on XP and I know there are still users of my tools that use XP.

Using this library, I think it should not be hard as well to make a tool that can merge different version of SPB files. So that should ease the installation of custom autogen configurations. I already have some idea how this could be done.

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I just compile it against 4.5.1 because that is what I use for my other tools, and in some of them I use 4.5 features. I don't think the SimProp library itself uses them though, so it is probably easy to take to source and compile against a lower version. I can see if we can change it by default, just need to figure out how that will integrate with my other libraries (or I could just compile my own special version too).

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Let me check with my users. If for scenproc they don't use xp I can jump to 4.5 as well.

On the other hand, a merge tool should probably still work for those running fsx on xp. So in that case 4.0 should be fine.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Stupid me, I just downloaded the binaries. But I can also grab the sources from codeplex of course. So I'll just recompile them.

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I updated the code for SimProp today to fix a few bugs and also add support for optionally saving out SPB files in the FSX format instead of just the Flight format.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks, sounds useful. I'll grab the latest version.