• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 inverse mip-map

Country
germany
So I just upgraded to the latest version, and now all of the sudden when I recompile my project, the inverse mips aren't working like they should....It seems as the effects are too big an not showing as if I position myself in the middle of the runway and look towards either end, I can see the effects near the end of the runway, but nothing near me....What am I doing wrong?

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Nater, since I don't know what you've done, I can't tell you what you've done wrong, if anything. I need your Project Folder and, if the stock airport is not a good representation of your current airport, the airport .bgl you are using.

First of all, a new version of AFLT is almost ready for release. So I suggest you hold off upgrading for a day or so and use the new release.

However, the new release won't do anything about your current issue since it doesn't make any changes to reverse mipmapped effects. You haven't indicated whether or not the reverse mip-maps were working properly before. Have you tried changing the size of the effect or the effect size multiplied? AFLT ships with default values that are reasonable, but may not provide good results in every case. Have you tried sung other light sources?

Country
germany
Thanks for getting back Don...here you go. This is the projects folder and the airport.bgl

Attachments

• RSW4.zip
    162.2 KB · Views: 150
  • KRSW_ADE9_nr.zip
    12.5 KB · Views: 158

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I compiled your project using default parameters and inverse mip-mapped effects with the new version of AFLT4. (Since I'll be releasing this version in the next day or so, I didn't see the value in "going back".) Please see the attached image.

I don't see a problem; though, in my opinion, BGL lights work better with this airport. But, a little fine-tuning may improve the inverse mipmapped display.

Your initial post indicated you weren't seeing the effects. During testing of the new version at large airports, I discovered there appears to be some internal limits in Flightsim when using effects. It may also be dependent on processing power. Your airport has approximately 1500 lights. That's a lot of effects. Nonetheless, my system (i5-8400) handles it with ease. Your system is a little older, so that may be the problem.

May I suggest you be patient for anothr day or so and give the new version a try when it's released.
Don

Attachments

• AFLT_KRSW_Inverse Mipmaps.jpg
    AFLT_KRSW_Inverse Mipmaps.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 178
Country
germany
Ok Don...I think I fixed the issue (which was on my end....) I had been putzing around in the fs9.cfg and had changed texture_max_load to 4096 just to test. Changed it back to 1024 and all is good in the world....Thank you so much for taking a look into it.

Country
germany
It was the size of the textures....When working on my KRSW project, a lot of my "working" textures were in 4096 and shorten the workload, I would save them as 32bit with mips so that they would show in FS. (Being as FS would only show the 1024 and lower mips. I didn't realize that it had an affect on the effects, as I didn't really fly at night....

Country
germany
That's good to know, I will have to check my scenery textures, if there are some with more than 1024.

Country
us-texas
Most developers do use textures up to 4096, so if your scenery requires to limit the textures to 1024 in the cfg file, some installed payware sceneries may suffer.

if you are trying to do 3D runway lights....in my vast experience in this sector.....inverse LOD method works best!

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
AFAIK, even when you use textures larger than 1024 in FS2004 the sim only displays these larger textures at 1024 resolution anyway, so there is no real advantage to larger textures - again, only true for FS2004.

Country
germany
You are absolutely right Tom. The reason I bumped it up to to 4096 was the textures were being worked on in Photoshop and I wanted to reduce one step in resizing it every single time I adjusted something....So therefore, I bumped the max_texture_load up to 4096. Doing that and saving the working bmp with mips allowed FS to display it, and at the same time I could continue to tweak the textures.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Glad that you understood that too. I was just being sure that others didn't think that such large textures were actually displayed in FS9. :)