• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Is it possible to make a floating object move with the waves

Country
australia
Just wondering if it is possible to make a floating object such as a small boat move with wave action like the (flyable) floatplanes do when at a dock?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
It does not move with the waves, it is an oscillating animation that looks like bobbing. You could animate any object this way.

Country
italy
This Is a nice suggestions!

Also, since waves are somewhat connected to Wind Speed, you can create different animations accordingly
Then blend them Just as like windsocks

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk

Country
australia
OK, thanks, and yes I was a bit ambitious considering motion from wave action, but that sounds like a lot of work. I assume you mean like using Blender to animate. That's something I have never tried and see there is a chapter in Blender for Dummies on animation and also a few Youtube video tutorials although this seems to be for outputting a video which surely isn't what I need. Aha I didn't read Mamu's (hi there) suggesting blendeing like a windsock (or flag). Although a flag and a winsock bends as it 'flaps' and a rigid object such as a boat does not bend or flap. Anyone care to suggest any particular ones?

Last edited:
Country
italy
OK, thanks, and yes I was a bit ambitious considering motion from wave action, but that sounds like a lot of work. I assume you mean like using Blender to animate. That's something I have never tried and see there is a chapter in Blender for Dummies on animation and also a few Youtube video tutorials although this seems to be for outputting a video which surely isn't what I need. Aha I didn't read Mamu's (hi there) suggesting blendeing like a windsock (or flag). Although a flag and a winsock bends as it 'flaps' and a rigid object such as a boat does not bend or flap. Anyone care to suggest any particular ones?
The Flying Theston tutorial about simple animations Is still valid

Rotation and translation exports just fine from Blender to msfs

My suggestion about making It react to Wind strenght implies some more advance stuff (multiple animation for the same object)
The reference to the windsock Is the way those animation should be "packed" togheter to work in the sim inside a Simboject.
(Windsock and flags are animated with so called bones in Blender, and getting them working with the Blender export Is literally pain in you know where, but you don't Need them for your docks)

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Although a flag and a winsock bends as it 'flaps' and a rigid object such as a boat does not bend or flap. Anyone care to suggest any particular ones?
We should establish the fact that there is no wind in the simulator. There is a mathematical representation of wind and there are physical animations, people have composed to represent the presence of wind. A flag pole never bends or flaps, it shifts position, or it jiggles position, in accordance with the animation assigned it.

There would be little reason to model different frequencies of bobbing, to represent wind speeds. It is a flight simulator, not a reality simulator and a boat bobbing in the waves, would be beyond adequate, but that is what mamu had suggested, that one model several speeds of bobbing and then tie each of those animations to a different wind speed.

I just animated the mud of the harbor to give the impression of oscillations. They only roll 5° on each side and that's enough.
What sort of oscillations, tectonic? I mean, I know France is crazy odd, I lived in a place caller Veyrier-du-Lac for about 3 months. I saw the lake where they invented water skiing and a lot of other crazy things, but I never saw mud with waves.

So, you could apply the oscillation to your fantastic effects, maybe:

(Ignore the baby part, or watch it if you like, so cute! I just wanted to show the moving cloud waves.)

And a very slow animation, to model the sand dunes:

thumb2-sand-dunes-desert-africa-sand-waves-dunes.jpg

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Sorry =RK=, all body can not speak english like you 🥸 Even if I am French, I still try to participate in English-speaking forums :wave:
The error is due to Deepl who mistranslated the term buoy. Without one accent on "bouée" (in French), Deepl translate "boue" as mud and not with "buoy".

Here are my green animated buoys in my scenery:

centre_archeologique.jpg

Reactions: tml
Country
australia
Wow. I can always rely on great feedback to questions here. And thanks Lagaffe for clearing up about the 'mud'. I hadn't quite got to that earlier post of yours and so it wasn't an issue.
Something new for me to learn and apply with Blender.

Last edited:
Country
australia
The Youtube video mamu advises is educational. The main difference is that I need to animate the entire object (boat) and then work out what 'parameters' to use (certainly not rotation). I note that some manual stuff is required (edit the .xml file and add stuff) although I did NOT see that in Lagaffe's buoy xml file (yes I 'disassembled' the .bgl to separate the buoy).
I will now see what I can work out and am sure I will succeed. Thanks

Last edited:

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
As for the code for the buoy, it is very simple: as in the Youtube video of mamu (at 6:10) after the declaration of the <ModelInfo parameter, you add this:
<Animation name="Green_Buoy" guid="xxxx-yyy-zzz-wwwwww" type="Standard" typeParam="Autoplay" />
This code has the same effect that the Ambient code XML in FSX: the object is always animated.
If you want to add conditions, you should then create not an object but a SimObject and the code is a little more complicated. Some examples can be find in this forum
One of my tests on this subject:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<ModelInfo guid="xxxxxxx-yyyy-zzzz-wwww-tttttttttttttt}" version="1.1">
<LODS>
<LOD MinSize="0" ModelFile="CTH3_boat.gltf"/>
</LODS>
</ModelInfo>

<ModelBehaviors>
<Component ID="CTH3_boat" Node="Boat">
<Visibility>
<Parameter>
<Code>(E:ZULU MONTH OF YEAR, number) 2.0 &gt;= (E:ZULU MONTH OF YEAR, number) 11.0 &lt;= and if{ 1 } els{ 0 }</Code>
</Parameter>
</Visibility>
</Component>
</ModelBehaviors>
With this your animation is played only between Mars and October.; the parameter typeParam="Autoplay" should be removed ;)

As for a boat animation, I have made one for the Fremm Aquitaine on FSX:
FREMM_Aquitaine_v1.6.jpg

=> http://frenchvfr.free.fr/download.php?lng=en&pg=326&tconfig=0
This stuff has be made under Gmax but the principle is the same: to alternatives rotations (-5° to +5°) tagged with Ambient code

You must first find the center of gravity of the boat (CoG) and add two alternative movements in roll and pitch with plausible rotations values: between 3° and 5°.
You can use up to 10° but for very heavy seas.

Attachments

• Buoy.zip
    385 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Country
australia
Thanks Didier
Firstly I have signed up at your web site and had a bit of a look around, impressive.
Secondly thanks again for the Buoy which I downloaded opened in Blender and noted how it is set up to work as well as additions to the xml file which looks easy enough. I also note about finding and using the COG.
I will now have a go at animating my boat and floatplane.
Merci beaucoup

Country
australia
I tried to follow the steps in The Flying Theston's tutorial but had 'problems' so found another similar video tutorial where the author uses the (shortcut) "I" key to create a keyframe. I had no trouble then and the whole process although quite involved is quite easy.

I also downloaded Notepad++ which is used often in video tutorials thinking that it would not display the contents of an .xml file with a TWO blank lines between -

<?xml version="1.0" ?> and

<ModelInfo guid="{xxxxxxx-yyyy-zzzz-wwww-tttttttttttttt}" version="1.1"/>

as Notepad does.

When the author opens his .xml files using Notepad++ it doesn't display the blank lines in the tutorial those two blank lines HOWEVER Notepad++ does show the 2 blanks lines. I find that a bit off putting and wonder if I should remove those blanks lines (and the 'tab' before the start of the last line (I am using the .xml file created when exporting from Blender).

Country
germany
I tried to follow the steps in The Flying Theston's tutorial but had 'problems' so found another similar video tutorial where the author uses the (shortcut) "I" key to create a keyframe. I had no trouble then and the whole process although quite involved is quite easy.

I also downloaded Notepad++ which is used often in video tutorials thinking that it would not display the contents of an .xml file with a TWO blank lines between -

<?xml version="1.0" ?> and

<ModelInfo guid="{xxxxxxx-yyyy-zzzz-wwww-tttttttttttttt}" version="1.1"/>

as Notepad does.

When the author opens his .xml files using Notepad++ it doesn't display the blank lines in the tutorial those two blank lines HOWEVER Notepad++ does show the 2 blanks lines. I find that a bit off putting and wonder if I should remove those blanks lines (and the 'tab' before the start of the last line (I am using the .xml file created when exporting from Blender).
You can remove the blank lines although I think it doesn't matter, they will probably just be ignored, I only remove them for aesthetic reasons.

Country
australia
Thanks. I assumed that but wanted to make sure especially as when I open an .xml file using Wordpad the blank lines to not display.

Country
germany
Notepad++ has the benefit of creating visual cues where a line of code starts and ends, like different colors for a new line, which is really helpful once your xml files get more complex.

Country
italy
Xml files doesn't care too much about what Is *outside* the tags,
(Like blanks, carriage return, Tabs )
Lines and Tabs are more for Easy code Reading

but

are really annoying about what Is inside!
Code:
<someTag>i'm inside and i'm important and even a space can crash me</someTag>

As an advice for general animations in Blender, this guy Is really a pro!

Last edited:
Country
australia
Thanks mamu. That is the tutorial I found which I thought was easier to follow (using 'hot key' I). I am wondering though about his use of the (Blender) CAMERA and assume from other Blender tutorials for creation of 3D objects for FS2020 that it isn't required?