• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Latest Build Refuses to Display Graphical Data

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
This thread is a continuation of an issue first raised in October:
I guess I spoke too soon. While TS opens and imports fine, it seems that any change that reorients the display, removes it and it does not refresh, the window remains blank, even after quitting and restarting. Presumably every restart of P3D resets this condition and it is due to the .dll version mismatch. I do have many of the SDK's from P3D V2 down to FSX, so replacing the .dll is a possibility but I'll wait to see what "develops" here, ty.
Please see first sticky above.

Don
Your reply appeared to relate to the update released around that time. Apologetically, I abandoned that project until now, so the problem may appear to have been solved. In reality, the problem is actually "reversed," or at least revised.
So I started in yesterday with TS and I accepted the invitation to update. It would import my flatten but not display the dots. I could tell it had loaded because the geographical coordinates were correct. On one occasion I invoked the display units window and the dots appeared. I was able to mouse over them and see the pop-up messages - then it all disappeared, I think I changed the zoom or tried to scroll or something. Here is the view:

1207.jpg

I have two TS folders in my FSX Tools section and the one labeled "stable release" relates to version 12.0.2. It loads, displays and scrolls as expected, although I have not yet tested in in a session with the simulator running.

1202.jpg

In October I was working exclusively with the latest version of P3D, I am currently working in FSX-SE, although I don't see how the presence of the simulator can change the display characteristics of TS.

EDIT

So I started FSX and apparently taught the stable version how to withhold the display as well. With FSX running and the "not connected" message showing, I zoomed and consequently erased the display. I restarted TS 12.0.2 and it gave the connected to FSX through FSUIPC message, but refused to display dots.

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Rick, I am unable to duplicate this behavior. Further, with FSX running, both the new or old version should have connected to FSX automatically. Perhaps the problem lies within the data file itself. If you send me the file (don at stuff4fs dot com), I'll take a look. But do it quickly, I'm leaving in a couple of days for an extended period.

Don

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I don't think it is likely to be the cvx type file, but I'll upload it for analysis sake. I think it has to do with .net framework or some way the software relates to W10 or my system configuration. Another thing I notice is that the task bar flashes a bit alarmingly as the latest build opens, this does not happen with 1.0.02. I would really like to use the software if there is some work of work around, thanks.

Attachments

• VH84_ADEP3_rk_CVX.bgl
    927 bytes · Views: 329

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I don't think it is likely to be the cvx type file
I hadn't appreciated earlier that you were importing a .bgl file as opposed to loading a TS-generated data file. When I attempt to import your file (or several of my own), I get a error message stating the file is not a terrain file. Did you not get such a message?

Obviously, that message is issued in error. I'll attempt to fix the issue before I leave on my travels this weekend.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I misinformed you. The error messsage I received earlier was due to a test switch I had left active in my development version. I can import your file without any problem.

All I can suggest is that when you are successful in importing the file, you save it as a .tsd file and work on that rather than trying to repeatedly import/export the CVX.

Don

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Well the flatten successfully imported each time, this is demonstrated by the cursor being at appropriate geographical coordinates for the airport. The circumstance is that I am trying to fine tune an airport flatten generated by ADE, which is what I thought to be a main application of TS. I have explored whether I could import the ADE flatten and save it, to open as .tsd. This does not work for me. In fact, when I open the sample "ts_FSX.tsd," there is also no data display whatsoever. I really think it is a circumstance of basic functionality of the software in this computer environment.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Not sure how I can help you, Rick. It would seem your display is not responding to standard display commands. My development system is Win10/64. So, that would seem to rule out Win10. No one else has reported such an issue and I am unable to duplicate it. So, that at least suggests a local configuration issue.

I am leaving for an extended period this weekend and will be away from my development system for the duration. Perhaps by the time I return, the underlying cause will have revealed itself.

Don

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Perhaps by the time I return, the underlying cause will have revealed itself.
What's more likely is that I'll stop trying. For me it never worked and there is no incentive to change the fact. How would you know how many people it actually did work for as opposed to those who tested it and decided it did not work for them.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
What's more likely is that I'll stop trying
Your choice.

How would you know how many people it actually did work for as opposed to those who tested it and decided it did not work for them.
I don't, nor did I even suggest a number. What I said was "No one else has reported such an issue." and that's a fact.

Don

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
Started using Terrain sculptor yesterday.
TLDR; any open of a .tsd file or import of CVX does not get displayed in the GUI on my version 1.2.07(a)

I started by trying to import an airport flatten. The import went fine. I was told their were no abnormalities. But no lines or nodes were displayed.
Decided to start from scratch and I could succesfully see and add my own nodes, build my own flattens and create blends. Saved my work to a .tsd file and exported a custom CVX. All worked well.
Came back today to open the project, nothing displayed. Tried importing the CVX I built yesterday; I assume i imported successfully as I got a message concerning nodes at similar elevations; clicked OK, still no nodes displayed.

Observations: when I load a new project, the coordinates remained at 0.00N, 0.00W. Even when I connected to P3D and moved the display to the aircraft location, I still see no nodes.

Find attached my project and CVX files for testing.

Attachments

• TBPB_terrain_RS.zip
    8.9 KB · Views: 247

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Thanks for reporting. This version doesn't display my files either. New development release on its way - as soon as I figure out what's gone wrong.

Don

EDIT: In the meantime, if you revert to the general release , i.e., 1.2.07, you should be OK.

Don

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Development Release 1.2.07 resolves this issue.

Somehow, a line of code was added between testing and release. Sorry, folks

Don