"Layers" in gmax

I was watching tutorials for ground polys by Austin Sass and I was wondering if layering some elements such as the loft below the runway was fine when it is finally converted by MCX. Is there a certain level of tolerance? Will anything be underground and therefore not visible? Will there be flickering like the preview in MCX? If so then this just got ten times harder.

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
There is a setting in MCX to delete any polygons not at ground level, make sure that is not checked. I do not know about your questions, though.

Lil update, I have been successful in using Gibson's method of not deleting ground polys not at ground level. However I do not know the "tolerance" of MCX in terms of how far a polygon is from the surface before it starts floating, sinking below, and/or flickering.

tgibson

Resource contributor
If you are lucky MCX will move all polygons to ground level, but I don't know if it does that. I think so, since you specify a single elevation to place them? One way to test this would be to move a polygon a foot higher than the rest and then see what the resulting GPs look like in the sim.