• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Light Over GroundPoly by SCASM code.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Hi,
I just made a tutorial for making light on the custom made runway ground poly.
To me I think SCASM.exe is the easiest way to do and the light is good. But making the code by hand editing is not a good option for many people including me. One of my friend taught me this technic using Airport for Windows. You can get this program from Flightsim.com. Take a look at how to search for this program in the document.
I have upload the tutorial in pdf. I make it while I'm making a new light for WMKK project. So it should work as the way I do. Please fell free to discuss through this forum.
Best Regards,

Attachments

• ScasmLight.pdf
    995.4 KB · Views: 3,568
Country
unitedstates
Hi,
I just made a tutorial for making light on the custom made runway ground poly.
To me I think SCASM.exe is the easiest way to do and the light is good. But making the code by hand editing is not a good option for many people including me. One of my friend taught me this technic using Airport for Windows. You can get this program from Flightsim.com. Take a look at how to search for this program in the document.
I have upload the tutorial in pdf. I make it while I'm making a new light for WMKK project. So it should work as the way I do. Please fell free to discuss through this forum.
Best Regards,

nice, will have a go at this

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Hi folks,
I'm sorry, I miss typed.
When you adjust the height of the runway in SCASM code, you need to add the height to 0.05 not 0.5 meter. Otherwise you will see the line created by scasm code.

Country
indonesia
Hi folks,
I'm sorry, I miss typed.
When you adjust the height of the runway in SCASM code, you need to add the height to 0.05 not 0.5 meter. Otherwise you will see the line created by scasm code.

Thanks for the tutorial Tic.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
One more thing about Papi light. I think if you do this light for FSX, you should not use PAPI in AFW. Let the default works for you. Unless you will have duplicated PAPI in the view. Since the default can be visible over photoscenery and ground poly of the runway does not cover it.
I check with the code and the height you that you want to adjust can be the almost the same height of the AFCAD. But AFW cannot accept decimal meter. I don't know why but I put 21.336 meter, Scasm code turned out to be 21 meter.

A

Aviasim

Hi jtanabodee!

You can always make further changes in the code you get, there I changed my PAPI angle to 3.25
Entered correct, exact co-ordinates

Now I am doing trial and error to move the location of the PAPI lights to where they actually would be.

One thing I can not change though is how many edge lights down a runway and end lights. For instance, my runway is 930M long, has 10 lights either side, also have end lights...from this SCASM, it displays 15 edge lights either side and only 4 end lights either side of the end of the runway

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Yes, of course, you can change your PAPI light easily to match the real thing in ADE.
You can see the position of PAPI to match the satellite photo. It is easier than adjust in AFW since you have satellite photo in ADE. It is very difficult to put satellite photo in AFW. You have to calculate the resolution or something and it came out not accurate enough. In FS9 flat world, it is OK. But in round world of FSX it is not OK at all.

So, I think it is better to eliminate PAPI from AFW and use default ADE PAPI light.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Good stuff, I was going to start looking into SCASM. Thanks for doing this!

Country
netherlands
But the problem still persist. You can see PAPI light just only 2 nM range.

Hmm, not for me. I can see PAPI well past this point. I am using tutorial by Andy Reichenbach, I believe that even allows for tinkering with visibility range in gmax export and in asm files.

Country
unitedstates
It is the same method that I use (by Andy Reichenbach.) But I found the light is weak.
Others found that too. http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9424
Do you have other way to work around?

Definately weak. PAPI's are usually the brightest lights on airport property along with other approach lighting, usually visible between 10 and 15 miles out. Never noticed if I can see them farther than 15nm, altitude plays a role in it as well.

Country
netherlands
Hmm, I have tried some testing and came to something quite strange.

I use gmax papi with light_nav effect and SCASM runway.

When I approach the airport, I start seeing faint PAPI at about 10nm, same as approach lights.

Strangely enough, PAPI lights completely disappear at around 6nm and only reappear when about 200m away from them... By that time, I can clearly see the papi boxes themselves...

edit: apparently, the exact moment of PAPI disappearance is the same as the exact moment of GMAX groundpoly appearance. I will play with this more.

Last edited:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I use gmax papi with light_nav effect and SCASM runway.

When I approach the airport, I start seeing faint PAPI at about 10nm, same as approach lights.
I think the light you see at 10nm might be from SCASM.

Country
hungary
Yes actually the background is covering the light. I believe the one what you see is the light of the AFCAD. The scasm invisible rwy is normaly over the rwy.

There are two disadvantage of SCASM rwy:
First the exact position of the light can not be influenced. For example at taxiway cross there is maybe a light source middle of the taxiway.
Other issue is the AI traffic in FSX. SCASM rwy makes AI traffic (the ones in FS9 mdl format) invisible.

Country
netherlands
I believe my SCASM runway does not have PAPI, maybe AFCAD? I will take a look. And play with some rendering options...

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I believe my SCASM runway does not have PAPI, maybe AFCAD? I will take a look. And play with some rendering options...

I think so since I do not do PAPI in SCASM runway. I usually use PAPI in AFCAD.