• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Load new scenery package without restarting sim

Country
brazil
This is probably not the answer you were hoping, but I managed to get this done *once*. I did something that made the DevMode rescan the objects and I'm trying to replicate that but no luck.

Country
us-arizona
You'd think that this would be a really simple and necessary task, can't imagine that Asobo's dev's are restarting the sim every time they add a new asset. Good luck Fergo, hope you figure out how you did that!

Country
finland
According to the SimpleAerial tutorial, to update the aerial scenery in a location you have to teleport to a far away location and then come back (very nice and easy with developer tool windows -> teleport window). Ive confirmed it works with my aerial scenery, but deleting my airport that didnt exist in sim before was still there and i could teleport to it using ICAO code even after removing its folder from /Community/.

But maybe for me its ok, aerial files were harder to see because you dont see them before its built and in community folder, but editing an airport you see edits in real time as you do them which is less painful to work with.

Cédrice

Resource contributor
Country
france
You'd think that this would be a really simple and necessary task, can't imagine that Asobo's dev's are restarting the sim every time they add a new asset. Good luck Fergo, hope you figure out how you did that!
In fact, they don't use the same tools as us to design (and fortunately):p
Sometimes I work a whole week (50 hours)
without exporting to the sim
Well used to it, it is not even necessary to export before the end of the design

Country
netherlands
In fact, they don't use the same tools as us to design (and fortunately):p
Sometimes I work a whole week (50 hours)
without exporting to the sim
Well used to it, it is not even necessary to export before the end of the design

Good for them. :) Its kinda bad, i'd rather have a normal 3d view with top-right-front and properties at the sides.

Country
norway
Good for them. :) Its kinda bad, i'd rather have a normal 3d view with top-right-front and properties at the sides.

I like working with scenery straight in the sim with real-time changes, BUT, there are somethings that are just better doing in external software. Like for example taxiways, painted lines and so on. Bing maps does not have the best quality in some places, which leaves editing in the sim being a bottleneck due to limited quality on satellite photos.

So my fix for this is to use ADE. I get a good refrence sattalite/fly-over photo from a better source than Bing regarding the area. Import it as a background image in ADE, and start to place down aprons, taxiways, painted lines etc. Then I just copy the XML properties of what I edited. Do som manual changes to them so that they work with the XML format of MSFS, and boom.

Exited for the ADE version for MSFS2020, it will make the workflow much smoother :D

Country
netherlands
I like working with scenery straight in the sim with real-time changes, BUT, there are somethings that are just better doing in external software. Like for example taxiways, painted lines and so on. Bing maps does not have the best quality in some places, which leaves editing in the sim being a bottleneck due to limited quality on satellite photos.

So my fix for this is to use ADE. I get a good refrence sattalite/fly-over photo from a better source than Bing regarding the area. Import it as a background image in ADE, and start to place down aprons, taxiways, painted lines etc. Then I just copy the XML properties of what I edited. Do som manual changes to them so that they work with the XML format of MSFS, and boom.

Exited for the ADE version for MSFS2020, it will make the workflow much smoother :D

Nice tip, i'm going to try that and see how that works out. ADE looks easier to handle for now, because EHEH airport doesn't have the runway, taxiway, parking etc. added in the sim and devmode is complicated. Adding the runway was easy though, but the rest is a pain. :)

Country
unitedkingdom
I've been taking the following steps when importing new objects:
  1. Export gltf/xml/bin to the project model lib directory
  2. Build the package using the button in the project inspector
  3. Re-open the same project using the main dev tools menu, or the project panel menu
  4. Wait for the objects menu to refresh, the newly exported object should appear
Saves me restarting the entire sim and isn't too much of a hassle. Hope that helps!

Country
norway
  3. Re-open the same project using the main dev tools menu, or the project panel menu
  4. Wait for the objects menu to refresh, the newly exported object should appear
Saves me restarting the entire sim and isn't too much of a hassle. Hope that helps!

Thank you for the tip! But what I'm looking for is a way to build a new package, replace the old one, and see the new package in-game (not in DevMode) without restarting the sim :)

Country
italy
Why dosn't it work for me?
I started building the scenery using this guide, is the first time for me! I created the object with blender, exported with plugin 2fs2020 , put in the folder and wollowed the steps...
Nothing to do... build pack, reboot the sim and the object there isn't.

I'm not started using SampleScenery folder but i've create the folder like write in the guide.

Trying with SampleScenary to build package and with this I can see the sample model in Object/Scenery!
fix obj blender.png

does anyone know how to fix it? ;)
Thanks!

Country
unitedstates
I started building the scenery using this guide, is the first time for me! I created the object with blender, exported with plugin 2fs2020 , put in the folder and wollowed the steps...

I'm not started using SampleScenery folder but i've create the folder like write in the guide.

Trying with SampleScenary to build package and with this I can see the sample model in Object/Scenery!
View attachment 61140

Thanks!
I've been having this issue lately too. I got it to update once or twice today but it's in incredibly inconsistent. Even setup a script to delete old Packages folder and _PackageInit before running the external package builder but still no consistent success

Country
germany

View attachment 61140

Thanks!
Same here unfortunately. I created a scenery with three buildings and followed all the steps mentioned in the guide you linked. The first time it kinda worked, at least my objects showed up in the object list and I could place them but they were without textures and sunken into the ground because I had misplaced the object origin in Blender. So I corrected my Blender model and changed some textures, re-exported my models, deleted all the old content and created a new package following the exact same steps as before. But now the models don't show up in the list at all??? Could someone who has succeeded in the process please elaborate what steps need to be taken to make it work flawlessly? Do the blend file and the textures need to be in the exact same folder before exporting? Do you need to export the gLTF file to the same folder where your blend file is? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks and cheers, Fabian

Country
italy
Same here unfortunately. I created a scenery with three buildings and followed all the steps mentioned in the guide you linked. The first time it kinda worked, at least my objects showed up in the object list and I could place them but they were without textures and sunken into the ground because I had misplaced the object origin in Blender. So I corrected my Blender model and changed some textures, re-exported my models, deleted all the old content and created a new package following the exact same steps as before. But now the models don't show up in the list at all??? Could someone who has succeeded in the process please elaborate what steps need to be taken to make it work flawlessly? Do the blend file and the textures need to be in the exact same folder before exporting? Do you need to export the gLTF file to the same folder where your blend file is? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks and cheers, Fabian
Hi
I've been having this issue lately too. I got it to update once or twice today but it's in incredibly inconsistent. Even setup a script to delete old Packages folder and _PackageInit before running the external package builder but still no consistent success

Hi guys, try this:
- Copy folder SimpleScenary ( \SDK\Samples ) and past in your Project Folder! Copy and don't use the original folder!
- Rename folder with name of project.
- Inside the folder you can find PackageDefinitions, PackageSources, and a file .XML . Rename this .XML with the name of airport or scenery.
-In Blender create your UV Map of object and export in .FPX
-Open Substance Painter and import your .fbx, here you can insert your texture.
-Click here and downlod exporting profile for fs2020 and export your texture
-Insert texure created in your material in blender
-Export your blender object using Blender2MSFS toolkit
-Copy only the 3 files .bin .gltf .xml and paste here :\"Your Project Folder"\PackageSources\ModelLib\"Your OBJECT Folder"
-Copy the textures exported from blender in a folder called "texture" located here: :\"Your Project Folder"\PackageSources\ModelLib\ (Create it if there isn't)
-Open with notepad the object file .xml , and copy this at the TOP:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<ModelInfo version="1.1" guid="{XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX}">
</ModelInfo>
-you can find originaly your GUID in this rows:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<ModelInfo guid="{afd8049b-99f8-4b12-bb36-f27116063474}" version="1.0"/>
-Replace the XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX with your guid and delete this last code from your file, you should have only the 3 rows copyed before.
-Open FS2020, in he developers toolbar "Open project" and select file .XML of your project
-Open Inspector and press Build Package
-Restart the simulator TOTALY
-Open FS2020 Again, in he developers toolbar "Open project" and select file .XML of your project
-Open inspector, in project windows select the .bgl file and press Load In Editor
-Wait object's loading and Find your object!

I hope this work for you! For me it's fine!
Can you modify my guideline if know better solutions! ;)

Let me know if work :)

Country
germany
Hi

Hi guys, try this:
- Copy folder SimpleScenary ( \SDK\Samples ) and past in your Project Folder! Copy and don't use the original folder!
- Inside the folder you can find PackageDefinitions, PackageSources, and a file .XML . Rename this .XML with the name of airport or scenery.
-Copy only the 3 files .bin .gltf .xml and paste here :\"Your Project Folder"\PackageSources\ModelLib\"Your OBJECT Folder"
-Copy the textures exported from blender in a folder called "texture" located here: :\"Your Project Folder"\PackageSources\ModelLib\ (Create it if there isn't)
Code:
</ModelInfo>
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>

-Replace the XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX with your guid and delete this last code from your file, you should have only the 3 rows copyed before.
-Open FS2020, in he developers toolbar "Open project" and select file .XML of your project
-Open FS2020 Again, in he developers toolbar "Open project" and select file .XML of your project
-Open inspector, in project windows select the .bgl file and press Load In Editor

I think I did exactly what you suggested but I'll try again. Do you know if the original blend files and the original texture files have to be in the same folder before exporting? And do I need to export into the same folder where the blend file is located?

Country
italy
I think I did exactly what you suggested but I'll try again. Do you know if the original blend files and the original texture files have to be in the same folder before exporting? And do I need to export into the same folder where the blend file is located?
No, the file texture.png must be in a folder called "texture" located in :\"Your Project Folder"\PackageSources\ModelLib\
I prefer maintain the object folder clear with only the 3 files.
I'm trying again but in the last time it worked for me! I think that is better start using SimpleScenery folder and not creating the folder manualy! ;)

Country
germany
No, the file texture.png must be in a folder called "texture" located in :\"Your Project Folder"\PackageSources\ModelLib\
I prefer maintain the object folder clear with only the 3 files.
I'm trying again but in the last time it worked for me! I think that is better start using SimpleScenery folder and not creating the folder manualy! ;)
I'll try your suggestions tonight, I guess I'll first create a test object like a simple cube with only one material to prevent things like texture or geometry errors interfering.

Country
unitedstates
Hi

Hi guys, try this:
Code:
</ModelInfo>
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>

Yup I can say that is exactly what I am doing each time. I've tried starting over from scratch with just a copy of the SampleScenery project. It's almost as if there is a cache somewhere as I did get it to once yesterday, removed the files, rebuilt and rebooted the sim and they are still there now even though the files don't exist in my ModelLib or texture folder (and I delete my Packages and _PackageInit folders each time). So trying to figure out where that is because I think that is not updating properly.

Also I suggest updating to the latest Blender2MSFS toolkit as he fixed the issue of having to manually edit the XML :p

Country
italy
Yup I can say that is exactly what I am doing each time. I've tried starting over from scratch with just a copy of the SampleScenery project. It's almost as if there is a cache somewhere as I did get it to once yesterday, removed the files, rebuilt and rebooted the sim and they are still there now even though the files don't exist in my ModelLib or texture folder (and I delete my Packages and _PackageInit folders each time). So trying to figure out where that is because I think that is not updating properly.

Also I suggest updating to the latest Blender2MSFS toolkit as he fixed the issue of having to manually edit the XML :p

Blender2MSFS is the last problem

I don’t know but are u sure to have used the SimpleScenary? and not SimpleAirport! I fixed my bug using this package!

Try to open project and select the .bgl, open Inspector and set a new name of scenery. Build packages!
Load in editor, modify something, in scenery windows save the scenery.
Build packages again, just to be sure
Reboot FS2020 and....Good Luck

Roberto C.