• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Blender LOD models workflow

I need to know the correct procedure used to create LOD meshes in blender - is there a menu (like in gmax) where this is done or this a different process entirely?

Vitus

Resource contributor
Hey Gareth,
Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy de-cluttering my brain.

The process is more integrated into the exporter. There's a batch-export option that you can use to generate the different LOD models. The only thing you need to make sure is that you set up the scene correctly by building a hierarchy with different collections and give them names similar to the format described in the SDK.
There's more information on that in the wiki for the toolkit, so check that out :)

AndyPaul

Resource contributor
So, when preparing LOD's, I basically create a copy of the model and its textures, right? Each LOD is using a different texture or same texture? Not sure about the process.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
It's typically more efficient to use the same textures on all levels of detail. It's the geometry that is simplified.

AndyPaul

Resource contributor
Just curious: I've added a custom model to MSFS. All works fine and it is showing in the scenery. However, it loads much faster than e.g. autogen houses. Is that associated with the model not having LODs or is there something else involved? (Hope it is the lods)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Do you mean with it loads faster that you can see it from a greater distance already? It is quite common that a custom model is shown at greater distance than autogen. I haven't studied it enough in FS2020 to know the specifics of that version

AndyPaul

Resource contributor
Sorry, I meant to write “later”, not “faster”. So, yeah, it loads much later than the standard autogen models. I’ve added a couple of LOD’s in Blender which seem to make it a bit better but the model still loads a lot later than the rest. Lowest LOD I have is about 0.2 (20% of original vertex count). Maybe I should go even lower?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I don't think the amount of triangles in your LOD model will influence when it loads.

But with later you mean that the object appears only when you are closer to it already?

AndyPaul

Resource contributor
Yes, indeed. While autogen house are visible from very far away, the model only appears (something between fade in and pop) when I am much closer. It might be because of the size of it, will try.