• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Mark Position - GEOCALC reciprocal runway ?

Country
australia
I made a "MARK POSITION" instrument that can be used to conduct ILS like
precision approach and landings at any location such as :-
roads , paddocks , ordinary small airfields , rivers , lakes and on oceans.

It saves ,
1. a precise Lat/Long spot (used as touchdown point of runway)
2. a heading value , 'mark heading' (used as runway centerline heading)
3. the ground elevation at that location

It calculates ,
1. bearing to mark position
2. distance to mark position
3. height above that surface
4. glideslope angle , from aircraft to mark position

The above provides ILS approach precision accuracy , but only in the
'mark heading' direction .
ie; only for one end of the runway .

What I now want to do is ,
1. provide a runway length setting arrangement , whereby the pilot enters a
number ( eg; 7,525' ) , pilot determines length required .
That's easy to do and set .
2. calculate other end runway heading , that's easy , its
'mark heading' plus or minus 180 degrees .

3. " generate a Lat/Long position for other end of runway "

4. create a Flip Flop switch to toggle the "MARK POSITION" to either end of the runway
at pilots discretion , thus enabling ILS precision approach at either end .
This switching is easy.

My problem is this one ,
3. " generate a Lat/Long position for other end of runway "

What I need is a GEOCALC format based on the following ,

Known elements are ,
1. MARK POSITION Lat/Long
2. Distance , it's the runway length ( eg; 7,525' )
3. Bearing , it's 'mark heading' plus or minus 180 degrees

Unknown element ,
1. Find/ calculate Lat/Long position for other end of runway

How do I do that GEOCALC ?

I would appreciate a GEOCALC example if possible .

Cheers
Karol

PS; following are links to previous threads on this instrument.
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/calculating-glideslope.430164/
and,
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/mark-position.430178/

Country
australia
Roy,

Thank you , I had a very brief quick look at it , will need to look more carefully.
It looks as if that will help with another project that I'm doing where the large distances involved need to
take in the shape of the Earth , in that project my projections over 700-800nm have been close but
not accurate , out by several nm and a couple of degrees , so thank you again.

Looking at the SDK for GEOCALCs , I came up with the following format.
I have yet to test it to see if it works .
Code:
           (L:Known Runway End Latitude, degrees) (>@c:GeoCalcLatitude1,degrees)
           (L:Known Runway End Longitude, degrees) (>@c:GeoCalcLongitude1,degrees)
             (L:BearingMarkPos,degrees) (>@c:GeoCalcBearing,degrees) 
             (L:Runway Length,nmiles)(>@c:GeoCalcDistance,nmiles)       
           (@c:GeoCalcExtrapolationLatitude,degrees) (>L:Un Known Runway End LATITUDE,degrees) 
           (@c:GeoCalcExtrapolationLongitude,degrees) (>L:Un Known Runway End LONGITUDE,degrees)

Note: the runway reciprocal +/- 180 degrees has to be applied separately and after the GEOCALC is done.

Cheers
Karol

Country
thailand
Hello Karol,

Why don't you take a look at this Guidebook, page 183

The GeoCalc variables that should be used are:

GeoCalcLatitude1
GeoCalcLongitude1
GeoCalcLength
GeoCalcAzimuth1
GeoCalcExtrapolationLatitude
GeoCalcExtrapolationLongitude

Your script will work if you use GeoCalcLength and GeoCalcAzimuth1 instead of GeoCalcDistance and GeoCalcBearing. Note that GeoCalcAzimuth1 must be in degrees TRUE.

Additionally, I imagine that most everyone has found this excellent reference, Ed Williams Aviation Formulary v1.46.

Bob

Last edited:
Country
australia
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reminder , I had read the Geocalc Group section after I printed out the Guidebook ,
but had forgotten about it.
I'll need to re read and understand it better , that and the references provided by both Roy and yourself ,
I need that sort of info for a few things that I'm tackling .

Still trying render this instrument into a more pilot friendly affair , generally what I'm after is a
ILS style display with dynamic lateral and vertical bars with funtionality for any GS , it looks
as if it might need at least two displays , ILS and ADI , it's not for any particular purpose at the
moment ; exploring it's possibilities just appeals to me .

Cheers
Karol

Country
thailand
generally what I'm after is a
ILS style display with dynamic lateral and vertical bars with funtionality for any GS , it looks
as if it might need at least two displays , ILS and ADI , it's not for any particular purpose at the
moment ; exploring it's possibilities just appeals to me .

From my understanding of your Mark Position, it seems you're thinking of a sort of GPS LPV approach. Those are flown using standard HSI, CDI or equivalent glass cockpit displays for horizontal and vertical position information, so I'm wondering the need for an ADI? It's radio beacon-based. Actually, I suppose that's not what you were getting at.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy putting this together. Your concept gauges are imaginative and you're showing many things that can be done with an understanding of the gps module.

Regards,

Bob

Last edited: