• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Merged objects problem in MCX

Hello everybody, Hello Arno!
When i merge an object (let's say a OpenFlight FLT format) into MCX the object looks like faceted, no matter the setting i set in the material editor.
An attached image to explain.
Is there any method to make the part smooth?

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 125

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello

What textures are being used (such as, Diffuse or Albedo, Normal and/ or bump)? Is this for P3D (version used) or FSX?

Diffuse map, standard DDS Dxt5, no bump map (I tried also inserting some 'fake' bump maps).
Prepar3d v4.
Don't know what you mean with Albedo map and Normal map. No settings like those in MCX

tested any supported image format. it is not a texture related problem. it is rather a geometry one, i suppose.

Sorry but I do not think so (although I could be wrong, of course).
Could it be your material settings then in MCX?
Or else MCX is not up to convert FLT to mdl for FSX/P3D and that, I have not the faintest of.
Is it your own FLT object or not. In the latter case, the author may have added some barrier to prevent other programs from converting it as it should.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Are you talking about the textures or about the smoothing/normals of the polygons? If you import from a FLT the normals are read from that format as well.

Must be that for sure,since i tried every kind of texture format and result doesnt change. It must be about polygons and their normals. Actually now i am working directly on 3dstudio exporting the mdl with the sdk tools.
Does the shader type (blinn, phong, aniso) of the 3ds material count? Because in the 3ds tools and in the mcx mat parameters i do not see nothing about that.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
No, it's not about material settings. It's about the normals that are defined and possible shading modes used to calculate them in the modeling tool.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I think Arno means that the shading protocol is set in the modeling tool that created the MDL file, and MCX can not change that. In GMAX there is a setting that allows you to specify that smoothing will only occur if the angle between polygons is less than a certain value. If the angle between polygons is greater than that, no smoothing occurs and you get a sharp line. I think that Arno, etc. are assuming that this is your problem?

i redraw everything from scratch with flipped NORMALS (or maybe straight... don't remember which was the direction at first) and it works. Anywas, it was all about normals. Thanks for the tips.

Sorry, it's not ok... i tried both normals direction and this is the result: in this video you can see the problem, look at the girl face and neck. why is it so faceted?! @arno

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

How many polys or samples were to be created? Were they sub-divided any? Or have they?

Quite lot polygons, but not infinite.... not sub-divided, each body part is a standalone element.
I'm afraid i dont get anyways what you're asking, my fault because i am a newbie.

Senza-titolo-1.jpg

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
You say a lot, but the area in question is the face is it not... can you show the area?

Last edited:
Actually it happens on every part.
The girl's neck:

1.jpg

the guy's jacket...
2.jpg

Are you asking because you know that there is a polygon maximum number limit to don't exceed?
would sound so strange....