P3D v4 model editing

hi
I was wondering if its possible to export a model from model converter X with all of its animations and other things the model includes.
after exporting edit it using Sketchup(not editing the parts that are being animated) and then import back to model converter X.
but when I import back to MCX all the animations will work(and also the paints and the VC will be just as they were before I first exported the model.
basicly what I want to do is to take of missiles and bombs off a model(the missiles and bombs modeled with the aircraft's main model) and aplly on the model P3D's weapon system that comes default on the F16 that is being included with P3D4

thanks in advace

Hi
It's only the relevant parts that you need to modify. Do as little as possible outside MCX.
Which plane are you interested in?

If you know the F16 developed by Iris, it has a model with bombs and missiles, but what I want to do is delete them from the model.
but since I dont have any experience with aircraft developing(only 3D modeling).
I'm wondering if there is a way to export a model to SketchUp and then import the edited version with all of the animations and stuff...

If you are lucky and the bombs and missiles are separate model parts, you should be able to add the necessary visibility conditions to them using MCX.
Otherwise you will need to separate out the relevant parts for editing in a 3D modelling app. Merge back in when finished.

Try setting CollapseModelParts and CollapseNodes to FALSE in ModelConverterX before Importing the plane. That may keep them separate. If so and you want to delete them, go to the Hierarchy Editor, check the Highlight Selected box, and go through the parts until they turn red. Then click the Remove button to delete them.

Hope this helps,

On a plane I've considered modifying, the bombs and missiles are mostly in pairs as one part.
What I would need to do is isolate each pair, export and import into a 3D modelling app to separate them into individual bombs and missiles.
Once I've deleted all the bombs and missiles from the original model I could then merge back the separated items and add visibility conditions as I go.

Try setting CollapseModelParts and CollapseNodes to FALSE in ModelConverterX before Importing the plane. That may keep them separate. If so and you want to delete them, go to the Hierarchy Editor, check the Highlight Selected box, and go through the parts until they turn red. Then click the Remove button to delete them.

Hope this helps,
after I've done this, I edited the model and kept the pylons and the fuel tanks, but the paint is lost, is it possible to a paint kit on a model in mcx?

Attachments

Are you in Texture Render Mode? If in Color Render Mode it will not display the textures. What does the Material Editor display?

If the texture in the material is there but not displaying, that is true for any MDL file you load which is not specified by the plane's model.cfg file - a limitation of MCX. The texture will still display in the sim.

this is an example of what I mean.
1.I want to import this into sketchUp but then it says the textures are missing because MCX fails to import them:(
how can I import into MCX with the paintkit?

2. after I exported the model of the new loadout that I want to the aircraft and imported it to MCX the model is checkered
again MCX fails to load the rextures

Attachments

Last edited:
You have 3 options.
Edit model.cfg with notepad, enter the new filename after 'normal='
Temporarily rename your texture folder to 'Texture'
Add your texture folder name to TextureSearchPath in MCX texture settings.

another problem that came up is that MCX does not the model and his paint kit,and then when I export into sketchup the model has no paint even though the textures are in the right format.
is there a way to connect between the model and the paint kit in MCX?

Are the textures listed in Sketchup, but just aren't displaying or are there no textures at all in the listing?

If there are no textures there, you may have to edit the model.cfg file (in the plane's model folder) to get the textures to display and then export to Sketchup.