• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS MSFS Toolkit by Nool Aerosystems

Country
poland
Great tool! Made some aerials with ease today - wow :)

Question from me - anyone has any tips for a workflow with editing tiffs in PS? I managed to figure out how to extract the geodata to a .wld file through QGIS but I'm kinda stuck on putting the geodata back into the edited .tif

Cheers!

Country
poland
Great tool! Made some aerials with ease today - wow :)

Question from me - anyone has any tips for a workflow with editing tiffs in PS? I managed to figure out how to extract the geodata to a .wld file through QGIS but I'm kinda stuck on putting the geodata back into the edited .tif

Cheers!
import edited tiff into qgis and export again with georeference to geotiff

Country
spain
Maybe this is a very simple question but im strugling with this.

In the tutorial from your webiste you recomend going to https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/ in order to get the imagery but since the airport im working for is located in Europe, i don't know how to create that imagery tiles from Google Earth for example.

Country
us-illinois
Maybe this is a very simple question but im strugling with this.

In the tutorial from your webiste you recomend going to https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/ in order to get the imagery but since the airport im working for is located in Europe, i don't know how to create that imagery tiles from Google Earth for example.

In which country is the airport or other scenery area that you are working on ? :scratchch

There are in most (but not all) European counties, a governmental GIS online free data access portal for imagery and/or elevation data.

GaryGB

Country
spain
In which country is the airport or other scenery area that you are working on ? :scratchch

There are in most (but not all) European counties, a governmental GIS online free data access portal for imagery and/or elevation data.

GaryGB
Spain

Country
spain
You're in luck, then, as Spain has a well-developed GIS portal with detailed data available: :cool:

GaryGB
That page seems to be more complete but these are the file formats that i get:
1631092841943.png

From the US webpage listed in the Toolkit webapge tutorial, you are getting the TIF format, so the line you have to write to Cut imagery into tiles is: msfs aerial -border "Source\purdue.kml" -imagery "Source\*.tif" -res 0.5 "PackageSources\aerial\tiles"

Since i am gettin the format .ecw, it would work to just write: msfs aerial -border "Source\purdue.kml" -imagery "Source\*.ewc" -res 0.5 "PackageSources\aerial\tiles"

Or i have to convert .ecw to .tif in someway?

UPDATE 1:

Not working with .ECW
1631093712067.png

Any help?

UPDATE 2:

Solved converting to TIF :)

Last edited:
Country
poland
@M_LORD - nice, that works! Dzięki :)

Anyone been doing any aerials since yesterdays WU5? I created one yesterday evening like usual but it crashes the sim while loading the flight when spawning at the airport.
I tried spawning at a nearby airport and managed to get flying but the sim crashed as soon as I flew into the aerial covered region.

- Tried to change the border, made it a bit smaller, and redone the tiles and package but no results.
- After removing the aerial package the sim works fine
- it's a 1,48gb package with about 6800 tiles.
- Looks good in the create a flight world globe thingy ;)
- While flying it looked nice from far away but crashed as soon as I flew into the area.
- Updated the SDK
- SDK package tool returns no errors while creating a package

>>> EDIT.

Well I sort off figured it out - I made a much smaller aerial (1500 tiles at 640mb) and it works with no problems. Is there a limit to how big the cgl file can be?

Last edited:
Country
spain
Fast question:

In the toolkit you give an option to modify image tiles with code using ImageMagick, thats awesome, but i would like to monitor the changes im doing to the image, so i would like to use Photoshop to do that.

Im familiar with the Batch processing in Photoshop in order to apply same changes to all tiles but the question is: I'm going to lose any metadata modifyng the aeriales already tiled with yout toolkit so this method is not gonna work? Or these .png tiles doesn't save any metadata already.

Country
switzerland
Hi, I just tried out the aerial creation for the first time. Works great, but I see JPEG artefacts in the created PNGs. As the processing downsamples from very high quality Tif to Png I wonder if you use JPG as an intermediate format somewhere (after the downsampling step)?

Country
us-newhampshire
Trying this for the first time today but I am running into an issue that left me scratching my head.

I'm experimenting with elevation files. I run the command: msfs elev "C:\Users\Mike\Documents\KCLT\source\USGS_13_n36w081.tif" -border "C:\Users\Mike\Documents\KCLT\source\KCLT.kml" -airport "C:\Users\Mike\Documents\KCLT\mkb-airport-charlotte-douglas.xml" -res 10 "C:\Users\Mike\Documents\KCLT\PackageSources\elevation\KCLT_elev.xml"

It is returning the message in red: ERROR argument dest: XML name must end with '.xml'

Ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Country
spain
Good afternoon, Im getting this error message while trying to use de elev function. Any ideas whats going wrong?

1631545281345.png

- My elevation data is a .TIF file converted from .ASC (that was the native format of the data, i just converted to .TIF in order to follow the tutorial`s workflow) ( i used QGis for the conversion)
- I created the .shp file with Qgis, i also got .cpg, .dbf, .prg and .shx when i draw and saved the polygon used Qgis.

EDIT:

I keep trying to get this work. I have changed the EPSG format in te conversion from .asc to .tif. now using EPSG 4326. and im using the code -epsg. Noew getting this error:

1631626107291.png

I think the problem could be the evelation data file I'm using, you can check it here:

This is the native Data Elevation File (.asc) format:

This is the conversion into .tif with same native epsg format:

This is the conversion in to .tif changing the epsg to EPSG 4326:

None of these files are working.

Thanks for read.

Last edited:
Country
us-ohio
i am still trying to set this up but when i try to build the project folder i am only getting this, can anyone help?

Screenshot_17.jpg

i also have this ... but its not letting me enter anything...
Screenshot_4.jpg

thanks for any help here!

Country
us-ohio
in the instructions it doesnt say what to name the path....or does that matter? i tried naming it msfs or msfs tools

Screenshot_5.jpg

Country
switzerland
In the powershell you must precede your command with .\ if you're trying to run it in from the current directory.
Code:
.\msfs [tool] [options]

In the old style console you can just type
Code:
msfs [tool] [options]

But what you probably really want is to have the tool somewhere in a directory and run it from within the directory where your source data lies - then you don't have to prepend the whole path for your input files:
Code:
within
c:\mysourcedata>
you type
c:\noolpath\msfs [tool] [options]

In order to run it repeatedly or try different settings you could add your command into a batch file. I have one that looks like this:
Code:
set noolpath=c:\Nool
call %noolpath%\msfs elev -imagery swissalti3d*.tif -border LSGY_hm_boundary.kml -res 3.0 -epsg 2056 hm.xml
pause

A batch file is a text file with the extension ".bat"

Edit: this way makes it unnecessary to add anything to the path variable. Safer for you if you don't know what you're doing.

Country
us-ohio
In the powershell you must precede your command with .\ if you're trying to run it in from the current directory.
Code:
.\msfs [tool] [options]

In the old style console you can just type
Code:
msfs [tool] [options]

But what you probably really want is to have the tool somewhere in a directory and run it from within the directory where your source data lies - then you don't have to prepend the whole path for your input files:
Code:
within
c:\mysourcedata>
you type
c:\noolpath\msfs [tool] [options]

In order to run it repeatedly or try different settings you could add your command into a batch file. I have one that looks like this:
Code:
set noolpath=c:\Nool
call %noolpath%\msfs elev -imagery swissalti3d*.tif -border LSGY_hm_boundary.kml -res 3.0 -epsg 2056 hm.xml
pause

A batch file is a text file with the extension ".bat"

Edit: this way makes it unnecessary to add anything to the path variable. Safer for you if you don't know what you're doing.
the problem starts with - I cant get the PowerShell to accept the text the tutorial says to enter! ??
Screenshot_17.jpg

Country
switzerland
as I said: start with dot backslash to indicate you want to run the tool from the current directory:
Code:
.\msfs ....

or alternatively enter the whole path to the tool
Code:
c:\nool\msfs ...

Country
us-ohio
as I said: start with dot backslash to indicate you want to run the tool from the current directory:
Code:
.\msfs ....

or alternatively enter the whole path to the tool
Code:
c:\nool\msfs ...
sorry, im kinda new at typing code to run things, but this is what i get when i try those options

Screenshot_7.jpg