Nested <Area> tags in XML

Nested <Area>, XML FS9 schema

I only now :rolleyes: discovered this useful capability that allows me to define click area Left and Top positions relative to another Left and Top definition. Analogous to what you can do with <Element>. But I wonder, does anybody know the rules for using it?
Code:
<Area Name="MAP BUTTON GROUP" Left="200" Top="100">

<Area Name="TERRAIN TOGGLE" Left="0" Top="0" Width="20" Height="20">
         Stuff 1
     </Area>

<Area Name="MAP ROT" Left="430" Top="0" Width="20" Height="20">
         Stuff 2  
     </Area>  

<Area Name="PAN TOGGLE" Left="455" Top="0" Width="20" Height="20">
         Stuff 3
     </Area>    

<Area Name="ZOOM BUTTON" Left="480" Top="0" Width="20" Height="20">
         Stuff 4  
     </Area>    

</Area>
The Left and Top positions of the 4 click areas are relative to "MAP BUTTON GROUP" Left="200" Top="100" which is very helpful to me as I move Element and Click Area groups around while designing my gauge.

However, I guess you can have only 3 such nested <Area> constructions in the <Mouse> section, and if a fourth is added, you lose the mouse click capability of the first group - only the bottom 3 are valid. AFAIK, <Element> has no such limitation.

Do I have that right? Any other rules?

Bob

[Edit]. See response #7 below. 3 nested <Area> limit is not correct

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Bob, I've never personally used more than one 'nested area' myself, so honestly do not know. The major benefit as you've noted is that the "sub-areas" are indeed relative to the parent's defined 'area'.

I believe one can refine it a bit by providing the main area loc, size height etc.. Reducing the other child attributes.

Code:
<Area Name="MAP BUTTON GROUP" Left="200" Top="100" Width="120" Height="20" >

<!-- Width 20 with 10 px spacing -->

<Area Name="TERRAIN TOGGLE" Left="0"  Width="20">
Stuff 1
</Area>

<Area Name="MAP ROT" Left="30" Width="20">
Stuff 2
</Area>

<Area Name="PAN TOGGLE" Left="60" Width="20">
Stuff 3
</Area>

<Area Name="ZOOM BUTTON" Left="90" Width="20" >
Stuff 4
</Area>

</Area>
Or one could split a parent area in half easily (From FS9 Vega)

Code:
<Area Left="105" Top="236" Width="63" Height="62">    
      <Area Right="32">
       Stuff 1
      </Area>

<Area Left="31">
        Stuff 2
      </Area>

</Area>

Thanks Bill and Roman. One other 'ah-ha', in nested <Area>, it appears that you can't use negative numbers in the child attributes. Too bad. In nested <Element> this is allowed, and I use it frequently.

taguilo

Resource contributor
But I wonder, does anybody know the rules for using it?
Yes Bob, I use to know that rules some time ago that I had to code a complex INS completely in XML.

When dealing with many related <Area> sections one advantage, if I recall right, is that you can set visibility of the entire set of nested areas in the parent, ie:
Code:
<Area>
  <Visible>script</Visible>
   <Area1/>
   <Area2/>
   <Area3/>
</Area>
Tom

n4gix

Resource contributor
Yes, and I used that neat feature a LOT when scripting my G1000 PFD and MFD units. That was the only practical way to script the multi-function softkeys! :coffee:

Yes Bob, I use to know that rules some time ago that I had to code a complex INS completely in XML.

When dealing with many related <Area> sections one advantage, if I recall right, is that you can set visibility of the entire set of nested areas in the parent, ie:
Code:
<Area>
  <Visible>script</Visible>
   <Area1/>
   <Area2/>
   <Area3/>
</Area>
Tom
Thanks everyone,

Understanding nested Area behavior. Trial and error.

<Visible> is interesting. In my gauge, I was using <Visible> in the child <Area> but not in the parent. So, to see what happens, I put a <Visible> in the parent too, which turned out to be fatal: Crash To Desktop. In some cases, the sim crash occurs when the gauge loads and other cases, when a mouse area is clicked. Don't mix <Visible> in both parent and child <Area>.

Also, I was wrong about the 3 nested <Area> limit. Three was just a coincidence.

My error was defining only Top and Left in the parent - analogous to X=" " and Y=" " when using nested <Element>, but omitting Width and Height in the parent. Apparently, that’s a mistake, even though Top, Left, Width and Height were always defined in each child <Area>.

If Width and Height are not also defined in the parent, then it seems that FS assumes the parent <Area> is large, maybe extending to the bottom right of the gauge. Consequently, there will be parent <Area> overlaps if you have multiple nested <Area> groups like I have, and that will result in some groups not working.

I need to define Top, Left, Height and Width in each parent <Area> and make sure that this area does not overlap with any other parent <Area>.

Cheers,

Bob

Last edited: