• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS No Buildings?

Country
unitedstates
Having A brain fart, why is there no buildings when loadind a stock airport in ADE for MSFS 2020, and they load for ADE for FSX.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Because most stock airports have no library objects and generic building no longer work. Any that may exist are currently not collected by ADE on load. You will get glTF buildings into ADE for the enhanced airports that come with World Packs.

Country
unitedkingdom
Aha, maybe I've found the answer, but just to be sure.......

I'm familiar with ADE for FSX/P3D but, I've just started with ADE for MSFS 2020. When I load the stock airport I want to edit, no default scenery objects are visible, even though there are plenty visible in MS2020 when I go to view the airport.

I want to delete a default building so that I can replace it. Although it's visible in MSFS, it's not visible in ADE 2020, so there's nothing to delete. An exclusion rectangle doesn't delete it either. I can add a default library object to the airport with no problem and view it in MSFS.

Am I stuck with this default building, or have I missed something please and I can in fact delete it?

I'm using Alpha 21 with Hotfix 5.

Many thanks,
John

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
The best answer is probably to use the 2-way editing feature of ADE. Then you can use the sim's DevMode to locate and exclude the buildings easily, and the results will still be available in ADE.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Aside from the two way editing there are a number of ways to hide, delete or exclude. This links to the online help

However ADE does not load stock objects at the moment so making accurate exclusions may be difficult. This is where two way editing is very helpful

Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I've just had a try with 2-way editing. I think I have followed the guidance and I can see the delete button in the scenery editor, but I can't locate the building I want to delete. I can list all the 2-D elements like the the aprons and taxiways, but not the 3-D objects.

I'm probably not far off, so if you could guide me a bit further please, I'll keep working on it. I've attached a screen shot of what I am looking at. The "Haneda" building at the top of the list in the scenery editor is the test object I added myself.

John

Attachments

• 2-way.jpg
    2-way.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 47

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
You need to use a polygon to exclude the buildings.
Untitled.png

Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks ever so much Dick. I wasn't able to add the polygon by intuition because I don't yet know my way around the scenery editor. However, I've found Flying Theston's video on YouTube on how to edit a default scenery and that explains what I need to know beautifully. I think I'll be OK now, but I'll come back if I have a problem.

Brilliant resource here, as always.

John

Country
unitedkingdom
Sorry, to come back so soon, but I hit a snag. After viewing the amended scenery in MSFS, with the building removed, I went back to ADE 2020 to add another default building. I know I can do that in the SDK scenery editor, but I just wanted to test the continuity. I saved and re-packaged the scenery. When viewed again, the building I had previously excluded was back again.

I think I fell foul of this guidance in the ADE Help file:

"ADE will likely offer to save the current project - DO NOT DO THAT - it will over write the xml from the Dev Mode".

What is the correct protocol please so that I can retain what I have added and continue to edit in ADE without destroying what I've done (excluded) in the scenery editor. I'm finding the guidance on this quite hard to follow.

John

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I presume you mean this?

1661083615780.png

When you save the project in Dev Mode you update the XML stored by ADE. You now need to load that changed XML you just saved into ADE. The quickest way to do this would be to select that project from the recent file list. Generally a copy of the project will be open in ADE already but this copy does not include any changes made in Dev Mode yet.

When you open a project ADE will assume that you want to save the currently open copy before loading the new one. Due to the limits of the alpha program the effect of this is to overwrite the new with the old so that when the new is loaded it has lost any changes you made in Dev Mode

I am sorry this seems complex and fiddly but the bottom line to go back to ADE from Dev Mode is
  1. Save the project in Dev Mode
  2. Switch to ADE and Open the project in ADE. - WHEN YOU DO THIS ADE WILL OFFER TO SAVE THE PROJECT - DO NOT DO THIS. Just say no and let ADE load the project,
  3. If you do make a mistake of saying yes to saving the existing project then immediately go to Dev Mode and save the project there again. This will set things up so that you can have another go
Of course ADE should be smart enough to know that you are loading a project changed in Dev Mode and not offer to save, Sadly I did not program that ability into it yet :(

Country
unitedkingdom
Yes indeed Jon, I can follow that bit. What happens though, in the next step? When I then open the project in ADE after the edit in Dev Mode and add to it, eg, moving the parking spots around (easier in ADE than in Dev Mode). I need to save it at some point to retain the changes. If both ADE and Dev Mode are open together, should Dev Mode pick up the changes just made in ADE to be saved in Dev Mode? I did try that, but Dev Mode didn't see them. It may be I didn't do that correctly.

I'll try again, but I just want to be absolutely clear on the process - I shouldn't save the changes in ADE but only in Dev Mode. Is that right please?

John

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK let's try this.
  1. Open both ADE and MSFS Dev Mode
  2. Open the project in ADE and make some changes
  3. Save the ADE project. You need to save the changes you made in ADE so they can be picked up in Dev Mode
  4. Open the project in Dev Mode. You should see the changes you made in ADE provided you saved the project in ADE before opening it in Dev Mode
  5. Make changes in Dev Mode
  6. Save the Project in Dev Mode.
  7. **** Next comes the tricky step***
  8. Open the project in ADE. ADE will offer to save the currently loaded data before opening the the project. DO NOT SAVE - Cancel it
  9. ADE should now open the project with the changes you made. You are now round the loop to where you were in the second step above
  10. Just keep round tripping steps 2 thru 8

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks Jon, that's much clearer. I'm knee-deep in trying to solve another problem with the project at the moment and I don't want to confuse the two experiments. I'll try what you say soonest and post the result.

John