Object placement missing

Hi Arno,
I have different BGL files including 3D objects which are placed correctly and shows up properly in FSX.
When I load this BGL's into MCX, then the object placement is gone. When I save this files again with MCX, the objects are also gone in FSX too, supposing the missing Placement Information.

Any ideas?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Placement information should be read from the bgl file. So sounds like you found a bug. Do you have a file for me to test?

The problem seems to appear with bgl-files edited and saved with Instant Scenery by Abacus (Instant Scenery 2 in my case).
If you haven't this tool, I can provide such file for testing.

Regards,
Heinrich

Arno,
I send you 2 files for testing:

test.mcx.bgl is saved with MCX, placement info is shown correct in MCX

test.instantscenery.bgl is saved with Instant Scenery 2, it works correct in FSX but placement info doesn't show up in MCX.

BTW: After editing with Instant Scenery 2 the file has been shrunk by 16 Bytes.

Regards,
Heinrich

Attachments

tgibson

Resource contributor
Instant Scenery only works with library objects (that are located in an existing library BGL file). IS creates a separate placement BGL file which contains no objects in it. Thus you have two BGL files - the library BGL file with the objects in it, and the IS placement BGL file which contains the placement information.

So much for theory ;-)

I have just one bgl file, including objects AND placement information and it works well with Instant Scenery. The only Problem is that the placement info doesn't show up in MCX.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I'll have a look at your files. But if the size went down so much, it might be that the models have not been included. Modelconverterx only shows placement information at the moment when the model is also in the same file.

I tested your attached .bgls, I couldn't get the model to show up with either one of them actually. I removed the "." from the filenames and replaced it with "_" and then they both showed up.

So try renaming test.instantscenery.bgl to test_instantscenery.bgl and test.mcx.bgl should become test_mcx.bgl.

Also don't add placements to an existing library .bgl with Instant Scenery, instead create a new .bgl with IS2 specifically for the placements. The reason is IS2 compiles an FS9 native .bgl and specifies an FS9 style GUID in the XML that the .bgl is compiled from. FSX native models have the GUID embedded in the .mdl so specifying the GUID in the XML is not necessary. I believe this is where the 16 byte discrepancy came from between the two test .bgls as MCX will use the FSX version of bglcomp to compile an FSX native .bgl which won't have the additional FS9 GUID.

Another reason to keep your libs and placements separate is that your libraries become geolocked when you add placement information to them, that means you'll only be able to place copies of the object within a small radius (< 10nm) of the initial placement. That may actually be desirable in some cases if for example you want to prevent someone from placing your models elsewhere in the sim, but if you don't have a specific reason for doing so it serves no purpose other than to introduce confusion.

Jim