• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 object reflections+ adding shadows

Country
israel
hi all
I'm currnetly working on a new airport, these time I've decided to create every surface in the airport(rwys, taxiways, aprons, etc ) with sketchup using my own modified textures
after I've finished creating the runway, Ive converted it to a BGL and loded it into my scenery in my sim, it reflected the sun light SO MUCH.
1. how can I reduce the sun reflection of my object?
2. how can I add shadows to my objects?( for example when the sun is out and the aircraft is on the runway, there is no shadow under the aircraft when I'm next/on the object/runway)

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hello:

IIUC, you have created flat 3D objects with ground textures as mapped Materials, then imported this to Arno's ModelConverterX as scenery library objects ? :scratchch

These will have shadow and flicker issues until a number of custom settings are used for that MDL to 'minimize' (but not eliminate) graphical anomalies.

In ModelConverterX (aka "MCX") Ground Polygon Wizard, you can import that 3D model and apply a "Z-Bias Material Property" for proper display in P3D. :idea:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=ModelConverterX#Ground_polygon_wizard

https://www.google.com/search?ei=Py...1.64.psy-ab..0.3.332...33i160k1.0.LQUpqluvLzg

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Country
israel
Thanks for the reply Gary
Correct, I have created a flat 3D object, I have imported it to MCX but I didn’t knew that I have to use the ground polygon wizard.
the first time Ive imported it to MCX it flickerd but in the sim there was no flickering at all...
so the reflection and shadows are the only main problems so far...

Thanks

Last edited:
Missing shadows on ground polys in P3D4 are normally due to the settings within the simulator, try setting Buildings to receive shadows. Or maybe Sim Objects if that doesn't work...
The 'reflection' I guess is the specular shine, which you can tweak in MCX a number of ways -- simplest is to darken the specular colour. You can also create a specular map which gives you control over different surfaces in your model, or for objects which don't normally shine you can turn on 'no base material specular' to get rid of it completely.