• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Observations

Country
unitedstates
The following are some things I noticed while modifying a couple of default airports:

1. ADE is a rough draft as expected, but is very useful. Much more so for me than the in-sim SDK.

2. When the airport is loaded into ADE, the runway is shrunk to a fraction of it's real size. Requires editing to restore the correct size.

3. Everything with the model library and placement went well, except can't get alpha in the .png textures. Not an ADE issue. ModelConverterX is an unbelivable asset for converting the .mdl files and textures.

4. The suppression of trees at the end or runways present with the default airports appears to be lost after rebuilding from ADE. A scenery polygon with Exclude TIN marked True took care of it.

5. Have not gotten into the raw data view and how it can be used.

6. Found no way to add boundry fences that appear in sim.

7. Windsocks can be placed, but show wind direction 180 degrees from correct. I think I have seen forum posts about this in the SDK.

Country
ca-ontario
All good things to know.

I can't get mine project to compile yet because of an error it throws up, but these will be things to keep in mind.

Country
unitedstates
Regarding item 7, I placed the windsock with a 180 degree heading which made it point the right way. Haven't checked to make sure it rotates correctly.

Country
us-newyork
Regarding number 2. Runways in the compiled default airport BGL are stored in meters for length and width. If you set ADE to use feet as the unit of measurement, it appears to be interpreting meters in the BGL as feet, so the runway shrinks in length and width. If you set ADE to use meters as the default length measurement, a stock airport will import correctly.

This appears to be an ADE bug in the import function.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
The following are some things I noticed while modifying a couple of default airports:

1. ADE is a rough draft as expected, but is very useful. Much more so for me than the in-sim SDK.

2. When the airport is loaded into ADE, the runway is shrunk to a fraction of it's real size. Requires editing to restore the correct size.

3. Everything with the model library and placement went well, except can't get alpha in the .png textures. Not an ADE issue. ModelConverterX is an unbelivable asset for converting the .mdl files and textures.

4. The suppression of trees at the end or runways present with the default airports appears to be lost after rebuilding from ADE. A scenery polygon with Exclude TIN marked True took care of it.

5. Have not gotten into the raw data view and how it can be used.

6. Found no way to add boundry fences that appear in sim.

7. Windsocks can be placed, but show wind direction 180 degrees from correct. I think I have seen forum posts about this in the SDK.

Many thanks for the feed back.

2. I am sorry but I need more information on that = it has not been reported at any stage or by anyone else
4. There are flags in elements like runways, aprons and taxi paths that will suppress vegetation in and around them.

1609134743523.png

5. You are using the Raw Data View if you are following the recommendation to use Ctrl+Enter to open the property grid like the one for the apron shown above. If you use the regular Enter or double click to open the common property dialog then you will not see the new properties such as those for vegetation.

6. There are a lot of things that appear to build but not show and fences are on that list

7. Most glTF objects appear to be set at 180 degrees and ADE corrects that, The windsock was one of the first things. Also we had to change the xml for windsocks to get them to compile

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Regarding number 2. Runways in the compiled default airport BGL are stored in meters for length and width. If you set ADE to use feet as the unit of measurement, it appears to be interpreting meters in the BGL as feet, so the runway shrinks in length and width. If you set ADE to use meters as the default length measurement, a stock airport will import correctly.

This appears to be an ADE bug in the import function.

Ah - thanks, I will check that one out.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
The sizing error when distance units are set to feet has been fixed