• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D - AFLT Version 4.4.2.4

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just uploaded Development Release 4.4.2.4. This release fixes (I hope) a recently-introduced issue with approach array elevation being expressed in m. But, its main purpose is to correct an underlying problem when AFLT-generated lights are used with P3D.

AFLT relies on P3D placing the lights at the elevation specified. However, at any point in time, P3D only knows with accuracy the ground elevation for a small radius about the point directly beneath the user aircraft. AFLT spawn lights about 20 miles from the airport - well outside this small radius. If, for example, AFLT "tells" P3D to put a light at ground level, P3D apparently places the light at the elevation of the ground then beneath the user aircraft (since it doesn't "know" the ground elevation 20 miles away). In earlier releases of AFLT, I had assumed that, as the aircraft got closed to the airport, the lights would remain at ground level. But no, they remain at the elevation at which they were spawned. So, approaching from higher ground, upon arrival at an airport the AFLT lights often were floating above the ground. Due to "ground clamping", i.e., preventing the light from disappearing below the surface", things generally were normal when approaching from lower or level ground.

This new release of AFLT monitors the elevation of the ground below the user aircraft. When it changes, AFLT waits for it to stabilize and then calls for the elevation of all its lights to be updated, thus forcing those supposed to be on the ground back to ground level. Lights with elevation specified as ASL rather than AGL, don't require this "service", but few of AFLT's lights fall into this category. One might think the ARP elevation might be useful for this purpose. Unfortunately , with PV5, every runway and taxiway light may be at a different elevation - all specified as 0 AGL.

If this additional monitoring of ground elevation creates a significant reduction in FPS, I can probably fine tune things a bit - like limiting continuous monitoring to within, say 5 miles of the airport, beyond which any elevation discrepancy would be less obvious. But, first, I want to be sure I've solved the underlying problem.

So, those of you willing to help, please load up 4.4.2.4 (remember, its a development release, so be sure to use the right menu item at the website), fly to your AFLT airport over seriously-undulating terrain and check that the lights are on the ground when you get there - checking FPS along the way. You might also try a similar flight with an earlier version and check the FPS at intermediate points (within 20 miles) to compare with 4.4.2.4.

Thanks in advance,
Don

Country
us-texas
Good afternoon Don,

I'm not sure if this relates to the issue for 4424, but these are some of the issues I've encountered.

1. When I load the airport I get a message "Distance unit changed to "M" to match input data" . I don't use meters in my scenery's.

2. When I departed my airport for a test flight, the icon showed 26 objects until almost 200 NM south of the airport.

3. On returning to the airport I crossed approximately 5 miles in front of the extended and the PAPI's did not appear. When I turned final the PAPIs still did not appear inside 5 miles. To get the PAPIs to appeared I pushed the Disconnect button and then pushed the Reconnect button and PAPIs appeared. The Disconnect button did not reappear after pushing the Reconnect button.

Since I am basically flying over flat land, I'm not much help on the elevation issue. There were no effects on frame rates.

Bill

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
That message indicates at least one of the light elements was programmed in meters. Are you using any ICAO approaches; they automatically get set to meters. I'm working on a new release right now that will do conversions automatically.

Re the 26 objects, that may just be that the little dialog was not updated when the objects were removed. Please let me know if it happens regularly. Those text boxes were made for test purposes and I haven't spent a lot of time ensuring they are processed in a timely manner.

Re the PAPI, PAPI's are spawned no differently than any other light object. It's more likely that there's an issue with starting the PAPI. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the report.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I believe I have found the cause for your PAPI's not illuminating. I suspect you started your flight away from the lighted airport of concern. In such case, it was possible AFLT wouldn't turn on any lights at the airport as you arrived. That should no longer be possible.

Please copy the attached file (unzipped) into both your AFLT\P3D Files and r …\Documents\Prepar3d v4 Add-ons\AFLT for P3D folders and give it another try.

Attachments

• AFLT (SimObjects)_4009.zip
    43.3 KB · Views: 250
Country
us-texas
Don,

The PAPI's worked correctly.

I just completed a test flight where I departed KSPS flew to KSAT then to KLTS and back to KSPS in order to test the issues with the PAPI's

The KSPS to KSAT and then back to KLTS worked with no issues. The icon showed 26 lights on departure from KSPS and eventually went to 0 prior to KSAT.

On the leg from KSAT to KLTS the icon showed 16 light when approaching KLTS. On the leg from KLTS to KSPS at approximately 20 NM (40 NM from KLTS) the icon showed 42 lights (KLTS plus KSPS). This didn't effect the PAPI's at KSPS so that worked without any issues. My concern would be at night where the combined lights for KLTS and KSPS would get close to 700. I'm not sure if this is an issue but thought you might be interested.

Bill

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Thanks for confirming the PAPI situation is fixed. It was due to a Failure to start processing lights as you get near the airport

I'm not sure if this is an issue but thought you might be interested.
I'll check why those few lights remain "active". That list should be cleared when the aircraft goes out of range. But, not to worry about 700 lights. At a large airport there are thousand.

Incidentally, have you noticed any significant FPS hit over stock lights?

Country
us-texas
Thanks for confirming the PAPI situation is fixed. It was due to a Failure to start processing lights as you get near the airport

I'll check why those few lights remain "active". That list should be cleared when the aircraft goes out of range. But, not to worry about 700 lights. At a large airport there are thousand.

Incidentally, have you noticed any significant FPS hit over stock lights?
I haven't noticed any significant hits on FPS, but if it gets to be an issue I'll let you know.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have found and fixed the reason for those lights remaining in the "Active" file. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Unfortunately, further testing has revealed that for airports with many (i.e., several thousand) lights, Flightsim temporarily stops "flying" the aircraft while those lights are both spawned and removed - which may take several seconds. I thought I have found a solution to that issue, but it appears I've still got some work to do.

I'll re-release the SimConnect app when I have a solution.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I posted a new development release yesterday at http://stuff4fs.com. It includes a new version of AFLT(exe).exe that should address your issue.

You may choose to install the entire release or only AFLT(exe).exe. If the latter, extract AFLT(exe).exe from the P3D Files folder in the archive and copy it to both your AFLT\P3D Files and Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\AFLT for P3D folders, replacing the existing version. Just in case, be sure to back up your existing version first.

Country
us-texas
Don,

I have just installed HF2 with the latest nVidia driver and have noticed the following problems with the development update -

1. Wigwag is not working. They start to work and as the aircraft approaches them they stop.

2. Approach lights are not working.

Bill

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Both HF2 and the nVidea driver were released less than 48 hours ago. Did you have a chance to test with their predecessors?

Re the wigwag, close-in distance-away is not a consideration in AFLT. Re approach lights, some context would be helpful. (I do not have, and no one else has reported, a similar issue.