FSX P3D SDK 3DS Max Tools Updated, Max2011 support

Stu, I had two of them show up when I mistakenly copied the scripts into Max 2011's scripts folder. Now I've only got one. Perhaps you have copies of those scripts in folders that Max references on startup?
I double checked and there is nothing in those folders. Only thing in those folders are my other scripts for DBOX (a plugin for X3 Terran Conflict).
In my Plugin.UserSettings.ini is this:
Code:
[Directories]
Additional MAX plug-ins=E:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\PlugIns\
New Entry=C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D SDK 1.1.2771.0\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\3DSM2011\Plugins\
I think I finally figured out what was doing it. On the menu Customize-Customize User Interface-Menus, in the window box titled "Menus", there were 4 Aces Tools Listed. In the big window box to the right of it, there were also 4 Aces Tools listed. Deleted 3 from each (did the window box to the right first then the left one), saved the file, shutdown Max 2011 and restarted it 3 times. Only 1 Aces tools is showing.

hcornea

Resource contributor
From memory the first lines in the gmax Maxscript file remove preexisting FSX Tools entries. Presumedly this script is structured the same way.

i see the aces tools only no aces documentation in the main menu of max2011 but when i click on any of them i get a max script message saying not supported

im using 3dsmax2011 32 bit and i point it to the 3dsm2011 plug in in the prepar3d sdk 1.1 and 3dsmax tools which i downloaded today

Last edited:

hcornea

Resource contributor
Odd ... the SDK / toolset work fine on Max 32 bit here.

Is your version a converted Trial, student, or full DVD install?

The Max reseller did report the Trial converted version have difficulties with some plugins ... but one of my installs is from a downloaded trial that was converted, and that seems to work fine.

Last edited:
out of interest what do most people do with regards to purchasing 3dsmax.

is it best to simply buy the latest version outright which is a fortune i know or to subscribe and then be able to upgrade. i have not really looked in to this as im only using it for study presently and have the free studant version with 3 year free licence. whats the best approach?

is it best to simply buy the latest version outright which is a fortune i know or to subscribe and then be able to upgrade. i have not really looked in to this as im only using it for study presently and have the free studant version with 3 year free licence. whats the best approach?
If you are a student, see if you can get the subscription. With the subscription, you can download the newest version plus be able to get the 3 earlier versions.
When I bought the Max 2011 in February, I paid almost 3900 dollars for it. Last month I went ahead and got the yearly subscription which was 420 dollars which gives you a lot of benefits. If I did not have the subscription, I would have to pay 1700 (I think) dollars for the upgrade to Max 2012. Plus with the subscription, you can request the dvd's for free of charge for backup.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
I think most people who fork out the king's ransom use Max for more viable commercial purposes first and for FSX modelling as a sideline.

Unless you're both rich and bored..... :rolleyes:

It is expensive. I only did it because each year the price goes up and I wanted it because its a good program. I'm retired, no bills, and single (not rich, sister-inlaw took all of my life savings). I use it for making models for the Flight Sim series, X3 Terran Conflict and will be using it also for other games.

hcornea

Resource contributor
They pay through the nose ... using the Autodesk "money extraction utility"

In all seriousness though, if you can use a Student License ... great. Unless you are planning on selling anything you make. If so, then you will most likely find you are in breach of the EULA.

For freeware, I think you should be fine.

Not sure if the student license is the cause of the plugin problems you have.

It is expensive. I only did it because each year the price goes up and I wanted it because its a good program. I'm retired, no bills, and single (not rich, sister-inlaw took all of my life savings). I use it for making models for the Flight Sim series, X3 Terran Conflict and will be using it also for other games.
X 3 TERRAN CONFLICT! Dang... One of my fave games...

I was trying to make ships for that but was having issues. Do you think I could pick your brain with some questions in the future?

Bill with the huge, gigantic, gray eyebrows sticking out of his head...

Dag nib bit!!! I don't know what I did but the Max 2011 start up error about parsing is cured for me. Yesterday I was doing tutorials (from everywhere) and in one of them it mentioned to set the preferences for Mental Ray. Today I start up Max 2011 and noticed no errors at startup or time outs. To verify this, I shut down Max 2011 3 times and restart it and it works fine.
I'm back tracking to see what setting I changed and as soon as I find it, I'll post it here and on the other forum.

@lionheart
Go to our website because we have tutorials there for putting ships into X3 Terran Conflict. The main modelrs are Observe (our team leader) and Killerog.
http://www.x3dmod.com/forum/

Backtracking, it was on the Menu bar Rendering-Render Setup and on the tab Common and towards the bottom was Assign Renderer. In the Production box I changed it to mental ray Renderer. What I can't figure out now is I just checked it and it went back to its default "Default Scanline Renderer". That was the only setting I changed in one of the tutorials. I did check my Updates log in Control Panel and no updates were performed.

Last edited:
Stu, my setting is Production = Mental Ray (has been all along), but the error persists.

Have you exported anything using FSX materials?

Stu, my setting is Production = Mental Ray (has been all along), but the error persists.

Have you exported anything using FSX materials?
Hello. No, I have not exported anything using FSX materials. I'm still learning the texture stuff. I've been reading a lot of tutorials and watching video's.
I can take a model and export it as ESP X, run Xtomdl and put it in and it appears in FSX.
With the FSX Materials, I take it is the same principle as using X3 materials for X3 Terran Conflict.

stu