• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v5 and Projects from Earlier Versions

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
There are plenty of reports for misplaced and unexpected objects when compiling a P4 project for P5. There are two reasons
  • The biggest is that the stock airports have been recomplied and there are a lot of new objects present in P5 than P4. Your ADE project will not exclude those. If you want them gone then you will need to use Tools > Load Stock Data to get the v5 objects into the project and then delete them.
  • The other issue is that some objects may be the same but are moved to some degree so that the micro exclude set in the earlier version no longer covers the reference point of the object. Removing them in ADE won't remove them in sim.
Pleas add your experience of trying to recompile older projects for v5

Thanks

My taxiways Iin ADE 1.79 are now at 0 altitude where as everything else is at the set height. I attach a grab of the problem. This remains even if I have a ground poly there. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• XGOR.JPG
    XGOR.JPG
    407.1 KB · Views: 266
Please attach the project file to a post here

Hello

Sorry, I think I posted at the wrong place this morning (https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/problem-with-the-1-79-version-and-p3dv5.447320/).
I deplace my post here. You can delete the previous

Thank for your quick support with the released of P3V5 :)

I've some problems in P3DV5. Maybe can you help me

On your post "Issue and bug list", I read the altitude problem for taxis, aprons, parking on airport made under the previous versions of ADE... due to the new Prepar3d V5

I didn't understood very well, the new values "Flatten" on the Taxis, Aprons ... Properties.
On the screenshot below, the result on my existing airport on P3D V5 without changes : some aprons seem to be at the correct altitude but some not ?

After some tries, below the result (flatten values to "Flatten" and "Default"). The aprons are returned to the good altitude.
But my textures are stayed below, only on some aprons ?

Is there a way to solve this problem ?

Thank you for your help

EDIT : Maybe I found a solution, but I'm not sure :
As the problem i due to the altitude set to 0 for the projects made with a previous version,

I exported the xml file created with the new version. In this one, a new value appear, "alt="0.0M". Then :
I changed all the "alt="0.0M" values by the altitude of the airport "alt="39.397M" for example
I import airport from this new xml
Apparently, all taxis, aprons ... have returned at the good altitude.
I specify that I don't use many default objects but some must to be replaced at the good altitude, like winsocks ...

It seem to work, But it's to be verified ! Hope It doesn't cause other problems !!!

Last edited:
I am checking with LM on how the compiler handles the altitude value when the airport slope property is set false. I would expect in this case that the altitudes of taxi points, aprons and parking spots would be assumed as the airport reference altitude.

Since the altitude properties for these elements are new in v5 and did not exist earlier ADE has to do something when an old project is loaded since those values will be defaulted to zero. I 'think' I handle most cases where zero is found by replacing them with the airport reference altitude. However it seems that this does not work in some cases. I am waiting on LM to tell me ow their compiler works with these new properties

Effectively, in the xml file generated by compiling from V5 the airport made under previous versions, all the values of this new parameter "Alt" are set at 0, for all Taxis, Aprons .... causing the problem of canyons
Set these values to the altitude of the airport seem to solve the problem. I specify, I don't know if it's important, that the airport background (Polygon) was removed.
As you said, maybe not in all the cases.

Waiting for lm....

Thank you Jon

I think that the altitude value for all aprons, parking and taxipoints should be the airport reference altitude (there may be some issues if the airport altitude was modified). I went to the List View and selected Aprons, then selected all the aprons and clicked Edit. The altitude property is there in the multi edit dialog and I changed it to the ARP. I repeated this for parking and taxi points. It can take a little while for the editor to update values if you have a lot of parking or points.

When done I saved the project file as a v5 project (don't save over the old one!) Things appear in the right place for me on a limited test. I will build something into ADE to automatically deal with these altitudes based on whether the airport slop property is set or not

What do you mean by ARP : "The altitude property is there in the multi edit dialog and I changed it to the ARP".
But the altitude property and ARP are not the same ?

"I will build something into ADE to automatically deal with these altitudes based on whether the airport slop property is set or not"
It would be great !

Last edited:
ARP is Airport Reference Point. The altitude I am referring to is the altitude defined at the reference point and is the value set in Airport Properties Dialog

1587361634746.png

For flat airports most things like runways and taxiways are set to that altitude

Thanks guys this answers my question as well.
Now only have to spend a day modifying them all.

Wait until I have released an update in the next day or so. This should deal with the altitude issues

Jon just found the taxi signs have a similar problem but the altitude change or selecting AGL selection does not retain
look forward to update
Roger

The update should deal with them. Those properties will only be active if you are working on a sloped runway.

Maybe another problem : It seem that the polygons ("Airport Background", TAG "Flatten") don't work correctly as shown on the picture below where taxis and ground are set at the same altitude. I solved the problem by modifying the ARP to the stock airport propertie, but it's not correct.

Maybe it will be solved at the same time with the futur update ....

Back