• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Package Tool and Steam Version

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
This works in PowerShell:

Code:
D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator -I ";" BuildAssetPackages "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\SimpleAerial\SimpleAerialProject.xml" "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\SimpleAerial\Tmp" "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\SimpleAerial\Output" Force Console

It's a bit freaky that there is no open console to show progress, but it does work.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
REbuildPackages also seems to work, and might be what we'd actually want during testing of our assets? Odd that a BAT or CMD file doesn't work.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
My understanding from the package tool is that rebuild causes all assets to be rebuilt. Otherwise it is an incremental build which leaves unchanged files alone. This is obviously faster but whether it makes any noticeable difference when the bulk of time is activating the sim is moot

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I just tried this from the powershell:

Code:
D:\Programs\Microsoft Games\MSFS\SDK\Tools\bin\fspackagetool.exe "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\SimpleAerial\SimpleAerialProject.xml" -tempdir "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\SimpleAerial\Tmp" -outputdir "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\SimpleAerial\Output" -rebuild

It did NOT work.

The solution from Szpike works via powershell or as a .ps1 file which invokes powershell.

Last edited:
Country
us-texas
Szpike's solution worked for me too and I greatly appreciate it.

Hopefully Asobo will fix fspackagetool to work properly with Steam and eliminate the overhead of it having to launch MSFS. The whole process took 65 seconds on my computer but only 55ms of that was the actual fspackagetool compile (with rebuild). The rest was waiting for it to launch MSFS.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
The package tool in 0.6.0 does not appear to work. It will open the steam version but not initiate a build. There is a new parameter for the package tool in 0.6.0 called -forcestream. This is supposed to direct the build to the steam version if both versions (MS & Steam) are installed on the same computer. It has no effect on getting the steam version to initiate a build. The workaround in this thread still works. This has been reported to Asobo

Country
unitedkingdom
Slightly revised workaround, which removes the annoying Steam dialog and makes things a lot faster because Steam isn't verifying the initial file distribution!

You will need your path to Steam.exe this time, rather than FlightSimulator.exe.

Again, still needs Powershell due to quoting semantics.

Code:
Steam.exe -noverifyfiles -silent -applaunch 1250410 -I ";" BuildAssetPackages <path to XML> <temp path> <output path> Force Console

e.g.

Code:
Steam.exe -noverifyfiles -silent -applaunch 1250410 -I ";" BuildAssetPackages "E:\msfs\SimpleAirport\AirportProject.xml" "E:\msfs\SimpleAirport\Tmp" "E:\msfs\SimpleAirport\Output" Force Console

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Slightly revised workaround, which removes the annoying Steam dialog and makes things a lot faster because Steam isn't verifying the initial file distribution!

You will need your path to Steam.exe this time, rather than FlightSimulator.exe.

Again, still needs Powershell due to quoting semantics.

Code:
Steam.exe -noverifyfiles -silent -applaunch 1250410 -I ";" BuildAssetPackages <path to XML> <temp path> <output path> Force Console

e.g.

Code:
Steam.exe -noverifyfiles -silent -applaunch 1250410 -I ";" BuildAssetPackages "E:\msfs\SimpleAirport\AirportProject.xml" "E:\msfs\SimpleAirport\Tmp" "E:\msfs\SimpleAirport\Output" Force Console
Great solution! This works if Steam is already running or not. Simple solution.

Country
canada
For me, the "FlightSimulator.exe" version works fine, but not the "Steam.exe" one. I do get a brief Steam popup when it starts, but then, nothing happens. It might have to do with the fact that the Steam folder is on a different drive than my package folder, but it doesn't really matter much, as I have at least one version that's working. (Just wanted to post this here, in case somebody else is running into a similar issue.)

Great work, Szpike, either way!

Country
unitedkingdom
@Kronzky - that's interesting. Steam is indeed on a different drive than my package folder here too. No idea why you're seeing a different behaviour!

GHD

Country
england
For me, the "FlightSimulator.exe" version works fine, but not the "Steam.exe" one. I do get a brief Steam popup when it starts, but then, nothing happens. It might have to do with the fact that the Steam folder is on a different drive than my package folder, but it doesn't really matter much, as I have at least one version that's working. (Just wanted to post this here, in case somebody else is running into a similar issue.)

Great work, Szpike, either way!
Which operating system do you use? Steam no longer works on Windows XP.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I am able to compile with a batch file (CompilePackage.bat) and double-click it to run, rather than as a powerscript PS1 file.

Code:
SET __COMPAT_LAYER = WINXP
SETLOCAL
SET PATH=%PATH%;D:\Programs\Steam

Steam.exe -noverifyfiles -silent -applaunch 1250410 -I ";" BuildAssetPackages "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\SimpleAerial\SimpleAerialProject.xml" "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\SimpleAerial" "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\SimpleAerial"

ENDLOCAL

SETLOCAL and ENDLOCAL keep the Path addition as temporary, ending when the batch ends. SET __COMPAT_LAYER = WINXP should run the remaining batch commands as WINXP compatibility and avoiding the UAC (perhaps).

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

Sorry if I missed a thread elsewhere, but is there an equivalent workflow for MSFS DVD / MS AppStore installs ? :scratchch

GaryGB

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

Sorry if I missed a thread elsewhere, but is there an equivalent workflow for MSFS DVD / MS AppStore installs ? :scratchch

GaryGB

@GaryGB You can use fspackagetool directly from the SDK - SDK/tools/bin/

Thanks... I'll check that out.

Looks like I did not recall that executable name which was used in these threads: :oops::laughing:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=LK-CX86CE8WztQbyu4ygBA&q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+fspackagetool&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+fspackagetool&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQDDoECAAQDToICAAQCBANEB5QuhZYwOABYPnqAWgAcAB4AIAB0QGIAecLkgEFMC45LjGYAQCgAQKgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjOyLer_avsAhXFWc0KHfIdA0QQ4dUDCAw

GaryGB

Country
italy
I get this:

Code:
C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\Smiley02>D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\fspackagetool "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\Smiley02\SimpleAerialProject.xml" -outputdir "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\Smiley02" -tempdir "D:\Temp"
Error: Failed to Activate App Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App. hr = 0x80073cf1

It's a simple aerial package that compiles just fine within the sim.
Code:
D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\fspackagetool "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\Smiley02\SimpleAerialProject.xml" -outputdir "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\Smiley02" -tempdir "D:\Temp"
I haven't got fspackagettoll in microsoftFlightSimulator! I have fspackgetool in SDK.

Country
italy
I must copy bglcomp.xsd, bglcomp_gltfv1_1xsx, fsdevmodelauncher.exe, fspackgettool.exe and fspackagettol_overrideExePath.txt in MicrosoftFlightSimulator?

Country
italy
The error in compilation: PackageToolConfig version is too low in file c:\Users\hp\OneDriver\Desktop\eleonora.xml (got 0, expected 2) Please update the xml file to correct version
Failed to open project XML file