• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Problem with Hanger Model

Country
unitedstates
Hello all. I'm having a unique issue and do not know if it is related to ADE, ModelConvererX, Blender (2.79) or something I'm doing wrong or overlooking. Except for Blender, I AM using the latest versions of all programs / utilities. In Blender, I'm using the latest version of Blender2FSXP3D (v0.9.5). Also, THIS ONLY HAPPENS IN FSX (Steam) and NOT P3D 4.5. NOR do you see these lines in ModelConverterX.

Take a look at the attached images and I'll do my best to explain. Expect this to get fairly long winded, but I'll be as concise as possible. I have posted these elsewhere on this forum, but getting very little response.

I have created the hangar below using Blender 2.79. I'm using a "LM" texture to make the hangar dark, and yet have the interior parts "lit". It works great, but as you can see there is light leakage on ALL edges!. Furthermore, the edges can be seen in the daytime also (second image). This is not a texturing issue and it does NOT happen on P3D (4.5) when I use the same model and textures! If I were to split the roof into two, then you would see extra lines where the new edges are.

I can run the exact scenery in P3D and these issues do not occur. Furthermore, it seems that they are almost acting like an Alpha channel, even though I do not have Alpha enabled on Blender2FSXP3D prior to exporting.

Below the included images are my sequence of events, or how I created / installed this model.

2019-7-14_20-12-7-311.jpg
Image2.jpg

1. Using ModelConverterX I extracted the hangar from an old library file and created a 3DS Max file that Blender could use.
2. Cleaned up and modified the model in Blender.
3, Created the textures in Photoshop Elements 7.0 and properly added them onto the model in Blender (both diffuse and emissive)
4. Using Blender2FSXP3D and SDK for FSX , I exported the model into a MDL file. (After giving it a new GUID)
5. Imported the MDL file into ModelConverterX to test for integrity.
6. Once satisfied with the model / textures, in ModelConverterX used Scenery Objects Editor to remove the "old" hangar from the library file and "added" new hangar to same library. Exported the new library as a FSX BGL file.
7. Opened ADE 01.76.6715.14291 (for FSX) and using Library Object manager, removed old library (save) then added "new" library file into manager (save again).
8. Placed model onto airport under modification. Compiled and tested in FSX

I'm not sure WHAT SDK or Bgl2Xml versions I have for FSX, but I believe they are the "latest". (I'm not sure if I can use P3D 4.x's SDK for FSX model creation so I downloaded and installed what I think is the "latest" SDK for FSX (Steam)).

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Again, I don't know which product is causing the damage, could be any of them I suppose. Sure would be nice if someone has seen this before!

Thanks all!

TB2

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

When you extract to a 3DS file the polygons become "exploded" - they are no longer connected to each other and each polygon has its own vertices. I assume that FSX is interpreting this as a "crack". What we do in GMAX is select all the vertices and Weld them using a very small tolerance distance. This combines all the polygons back together again. I assume there is something similar in Blender. Worth a try?

Country
unitedstates
I do weld all of my (associated) vertices together. I’ll try creating it from something other than 3DS and see if that makes a difference. Might take a few days.

Thanks

Country
unitedstates
"tgibson", thank you for the suggestion, but that wasn't it. I created an entirely new hangar in Blender and did not use any previous models. I textured it and tested it in FSX with the same results. Light leaks through ALL edges, even the edges that are not supposed to be there (dissolved edges).

Just to clear up any misconceptions, on the new hangar I simply created a box, made an opening for a doorway, used a "solidify" modifier, (applied it) and now had interior and exterior walls with a doorway. This should have eliminated all unwelded vertices and edges. Textured with a diffuse and emissive (LM), exported it, used ModelConverterX to make it into a BGL and then used ADE to insert it into my airport. Same results.

I'm still thinking I have an issue with one of the programs, but not sure which.

TB2

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

Which version of the SDK are you using for FSX: Steam? This wasn't brought up in the previous thread. This could be the cause and the "effect". You should only be using either P3D SDK v1.4 or the SDK for FSX only.

None of other P3D SDK versions should be used.

Country
unitedstates
I do not know what version of SDK I’m using for the FSX compiler. I believe it’s the latest version for FSX but not sure. If I can get the latest version just to be sure I’ll swap out whatever I’m using for the correct one. I dont have a problem using P3D v1.4 either and saw it somewhere to download.

Still, even if I compile it with the FSX compiler (in Blender2FSXP3D, ModelConverterX and ADE) using the exact same BGL files, I don’t have the issue in P3D. (I compiled everything as FSX and then simply added that airport with models to my “Add-ons” for P3D. And yes, it was displaying that modified airport).

For P3D, I’m using the appropriate SDK for 4.5 (which is irrelevant here only because it does not fail in P3D)

On a side note, If I remember correctly, I can compile the Blender model using the P3D 4.5 SDK and even save it as a P3D 4.5 BGL in ModelConverterX, but then must use ADE configured for FSX for it to even be seen in FSX. Still has the same issue.

Thank you for helping me!

TB2.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Try this: Install the P3D SDK v1.4.
Load up Blender and your model then inirialize with P3D using v1.4.

Much sure guid name and guid is filled in correctly.

Now compile it.

This should be used for FSX only.

If you wish now change to P3D using v4.5. Again, make sure the guid name and guid are filled in correctly (might want to name differently as well as the guid. Different as the v1.4 version above).

Compile it (maybe best to use a different mdl name to help differentiate between the 2).

Now, go through MCX for each (Different names). Of course, last ADE. Setup 2 libraries 1.for.the P3D and the other for FSX Steam.

The compiler for FSX: Steam (P3D SDK v1.4) is different compared to the P3D SDK v4.5.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello

1 thing I need to ask:

When you are loading up ADE are you offered a choice of either FSX: Steam and P3D v4.5? If you are not, then at the present time, you do not have ADE properly setup (most likely FSX: Steam) for one of the Flight Sims. In this case, you need to set up for both. This would mean that you would have 2 project files (.ad4), 1 for FSX and the other for P3D v4.5. With that you would also have to bgl files as well (again, one for each version of Flight Sim).

Do not intermix them, FSX: Steam and P3D v4.5 and assume that they are compatible with each other. The compilers are different as well as the workings of within each.

Country
unitedstates
Yes, ADE is set up properly and does offer the choice of FSX or P3D 4.5. For FSX, I select FSX.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I'm starting to think it might not be the model, but instead the textures. In your night texture do you have your dark building walls surrounded by a light color (like white or gray)? If so, turn all the light areas (which I assume are unused) to black. The entire texture should be very dark, with only lighted areas being lighter.

Country
unitedstates
Ok, attempting to compile using SDK 1.4 Installed SDK, launched blender and selected "P3D ver 1.4" but getting error stating "XtoMDL.exe returned error". I can immediately switch to FSX or P3D 4.x and it will export. So It's not finding a file I need or there is a conflict somewhere with 1.4 Auto Detect SDK is enabled and I did "initialize P3D Toolset". I am using version 0.9.5 of the FSX toolset in blender. I'll keep tinkering with this but have a second question.

In MCX, in the exporter settings, do I substitute the FSX paths with the P3D 1.4 SDK? MCX does not offer a path to 1.4, only 2, 4 and 4.4.

Thanks

TB

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
I'm starting to think it might not be the model, but instead the textures. In your night texture do you have your dark building walls surrounded by a light color (like white or gray)? If so, turn all the light areas (which I assume are unused) to black. The entire texture should be very dark, with only lighted areas being lighter.

That is exactly what I have.

Sherrifs Hangar.jpg
Sherrifs Hangar_lm.jpg

Country
us-illinois
Hello (...Terry ?):

MCX auto-detects / fills in paths to any/all installed FS SDK versions (if ConfigSDK.exe has also been run).

MCX Menu > Options > Exporter Settings > MDLWriter section shows these paths for each installed XtoMDL version. ;)

NOTE: P3D SDK automatically runs ConfigSDK.exe during installation.

The MSFS DVD SDK installer does not do so, and must be run manually from: :alert:

[FS DVD SDK install path]\SDK\ConfigSDK.exe

BTW: Reportedly, GMAX / 3DSMAX users may still need to run ConfigSDK.exe manually (after first launching the matching version of FSX and/or P3D) ...even with P3D SDK installer versions: :pushpin:

See Tom's citation regarding this here:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...-feature-needed-in-mcx-plz.444210/post-812076

From the P3D SDK documentation: http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/LearningCenter.php

"The paths in the documentation and some tools will only be correct if the SDK is installed to the default folder. If the SDK is installed to a non-default folder, be aware that some documented paths may not be correct, and run the tool ConfigSDK.exe (in the SDK folder) to update the paths of a number of the configuration tools to the correct folder. Before running ConfigSDK.exe make sure to run Prepar3D.exe at least once first (as the tool requires certain registry entries to be present), and that the Prepar3D runtime has been installed to the same computer."

PS: IIRC, ADE also auto-detects / fills in paths to any/all installed FS SDK versions (if ConfigSDK.exe has also been run).

IIUC, ADE may still need to be manually toggled for each targeted FS SDK version BGL compiled / output via:

ADE > Settings > Options > Program Options > {Folders} tab > SDK > BGLComp Folder > SDK version path

Hope this helps. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Ok, attempting to compile using SDK 1.4 Installed SDK, launched blender and selected "P3D ver 1.4" but getting error stating "XtoMDL.exe returned error". I can immediately switch to FSX or P3D 4.x and it will export. So It's not finding a file I need or there is a conflict somewhere with 1.4 Auto Detect SDK is enabled and I did "initialize P3D Toolset". I am using version 0.9.5 of the FSX toolset in blender. I'll keep tinkering with this but have a second question.

In MCX, in the exporter settings, do I substitute the FSX paths with the P3D 1.4 SDK? MCX does not offer a path to 1.4, only 2, 4 and 4.4.

Thanks

TB

It's not a conflict somewhere with v1.4 - more likely a missing file or library, etc associated with XtoMDL. Will need to see the error that it is giving. you to say anything more on this. The option for FSX within Blender, where is it pointing to? You said that the version of FSX that you have is FSX: Steam Edition correct? The SDK that comes with the Steam Edition is incomplete and should not be used at all.

To your 2nd question: Yes, within MCX all paths relating to FSX need to be changed or point to within P3D SDK v1.4 paths. The paths relating to P3D v4 is relating to all versions - starting with 4.0 through v4.5 (providing the SDK have been installed for each of them).

I have versions v4.3 and v4.5 SDKs installed (reasons being: v4.3 uses the older version of textures - for v4.5 for using PBR textures). Even though I have installed the original FSX box version of the SDK, I also have P3D SDK v1.4 installed (just so if my FSX SDK fails) for one reason or another and also, so I can test and help others such as yourself.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
That is exactly what I have.

What Tom has stated, I also have stated to you regarding the lighted area outside the texture that is lighted. It should be darkened, better yet, Black. The areas circled in red (see picture)
Sherrifs Hangar_lm.png

Country
unitedstates
What Tom has stated, I also have stated to you regarding the lighted area outside the texture that is lighted. It should be darkened, better yet, Black. The areas circled in red (see picture)

I appreciate what you are saying but these are not the areas I’m having problems with. The issue is the light coming through all edges of every part of the model. (Only in FSX) Including edges that should not exist! (Center of face). Please refer to the images at the top of this post. You will see that there is no issue with the areas where light is coming through

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
I think that until you can confirm what SDK was used for FSX: Steam version, we will not be able to say much else. You stated that the P3D version of the model is fine, which makes me believe you are possibly not using the SDK for FSX: Steam (that is either the FSX box SDK or P3D SDK v1.4 and NOT the FSX Steam SDK that it came with since it is incomplete).

You mentioned about an Error with XtoXML when using the SDK for P3D v1.4. Can you please show what that error is?

Country
unitedstates
View attachment 51131

Fixed the above. All areas are black now. No difference noted in FSX. All edges of All faces still have light coming through them.

I thought I had mentioned that the anomaly happens on ALL hangars I've made, and not just this one. Still working on it. Just wanted to give an update.

Country
unitedstates
I think that until you can confirm what SDK was used for FSX: Steam version, we will not be able to say much else. You stated that the P3D version of the model is fine, which makes me believe you are possibly not using the SDK for FSX: Steam (that is either the FSX box SDK or P3D SDK v1.4 and NOT the FSX Steam SDK that it came with since it is incomplete).

You mentioned about an Error with XtoXML when using the SDK for P3D v1.4. Can you please show what that error is?

Below is the error I get. I was selecting "Use FSX" and initializing it prior to exporting it as an FSX model. I Selected "P3D 4.5" when I exported it as a P3D model. If I can get the P3D 1.4 SDK working properly I can move on and test again. I did run "ConfigSdk.exe" for 1.4 but that made no difference and got the same error below.

error.jpg