• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Problems at default KABQ

Country
unitedstates
All I wanted to do was add fuel trucks to the default FSXA KABQ.

I new I was in trouble when I opened the default KABQ in ADE, updated to 1.61.5238, and saw all of those little black boxes.

Without making any changes I compiled the airport and added the .bgl files to Addon Scenery\scenery.

Sure enough, I visit ABQ and all of the custom default airport buildings are gone.

[soapbox mode]
ADE is a great tool and I deeply appreciate all that has gone into it to get what we are freely given today.

That being said, I can't believe that after all of this time, with everything that has been added to ADE like the Ground Poly tool etc., that simple SDK compliant xml object placement code gets stripped out when opening an airport from a .bgl, default or not.

Why do all objects have to be recognized by the LOM before ADE passes them through to the compiler?

The compiler doesn't give a rat's ass if the objects are default or not, or if they even exist.

It seems to me like ADE has to make an extra step to verify an objects existence in LOM. Why not eliminate that check?
[/soapbox mode]

Jon, if you could give this some attention I will be eternally thankful.

cheers,
Lane

Country
newzealand
Lane,
i wonder if ADE is reading/looking for the Acceleration files, as i seem that remember the KABQ was one of the airports update by Acceleration, i think?
i get the same problem as you, and even in v1.55..........
if i go back to v1.50 there are no black boxes and the terminal appears fine, i did an update for this airport back in 2010 without problem

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
The issue of black box objects has been discussed many times and what you need to do to fix this is also covered in the readme with the 1.6 installer. There is an article on moving data between versions: https://scruffyduck.screenstepslive...01-how-do-i-transfer-my-data-between-versions. The black boxes, as you found, appear if the objects are not in the LOM. The reason for them is to warn you that you do not have any information about them in ADE. The reason that they are not compiled is because it may be that the user compiling them does not have the object libraries. This may not sound much of an explanation but this issue has been debated a lot of times without a proper conclusion. I am sure there are other threads here on this and you really can't move or turn them since you don't know anything about their footprint.

Having said all that the next release of ADE will offer that users with black box objects in a project can compile them. This is really if you load a third party airport. HOWEVER the answer if they are your objects in your projects is to either update the database (if you moved versions) or add the libraries to the LOM. That way you get sizing information and a bunch of other stuff.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Lane,
i wonder if ADE is reading/looking for the Acceleration files, as i seem that remember the KABQ was one of the airports update by Acceleration, i think?
i get the same problem as you, and even in v1.55..........
if i go back to v1.50 there are no black boxes and the terminal appears fine, i did an update for this airport back in 2010 without problem

Ray - the answer is to make sure that any black box objects are in the LOM - this is especially true if they are stock objects.

Country
unitedkingdom
Whenever I go thro the new files in this forum, I usually try to emulate the problems that someone has highlighted. So, I have opened the default KABQ airport in my fully updated ADE (yes, I copied the files across from my previous version as recommended) and I too get the Black boxes. So I go to "Lists - Libraries used" to see what files are missing in the LOM. I am told that the objects that are showing are in files FSXP_(various).bgl but that a load of objects are listed as "Unknown"
Now, as I see it, the default KABQ file won't contain 'third-party' files that I have not been loaded into the LOM, so where am I to find the file(s) that are apparently missing? They must be so-called 'Stock Objects' surely, so at what stage has a file (or files) gone missing? Or did Microsoft forget to supply the file in the Acceleration pack? Does it make any difference whether Acceleration was obtained as an Update or came as part of a complete FSXA package?
Perhaps someone who can open the default KABQ without getting the black boxes can tell us what Library files they get when they use "Lists - Libraries used"?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I get the same. I suspect there are objects in the specific to that airport not in one of the standard folders. The default database contains all the files that I am aware of that are stock objects but there are a number of other folders that can contain files with library objects. I will run some scanning today and see if I can track these down.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK - some are in OBX19190 in folder 0202 but there are still some others that do not appear to be in that folder.

GHD

Country
england
Some of the files are in \0202\scenery\OBX19190.bgl. There are some others which I haven't yet found.

They are probably in \NAMW\scenery\Albuquerque.bgl

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
You are correct George - that is where the other objects are So OBX19190.bgl and Albuqurerque.bgl

Country
england
I get no black boxes at KABQ when I have the following files in LOM:

Albuquerque.bgl
FSXP_Buildings
FSXP_Fillerobjects
FSXP_Vehicles
OBX19190

Dave Butler

Country
unitedkingdom
I get no black boxes at KABQ when I have the following files in LOM:

Albuquerque.bgl
FSXP_Buildings
FSXP_Fillerobjects
FSXP_Vehicles
OBX19190

Dave Butler
OK, thanks David, very good info, just what I hoped someone would come up with - all is now well at KABQ but what does this mean? How do us mere mortals know where to go to add files from the stock FSX scenery in order to get the required data to add to the LOM?

There is a lot of confusion here.

I DO NOT have or have I ever had the Albuquerque.bgl or the OBX19190 bgl added into my LOM just to get rid of black boxes at KABQ. That is because ADE already reads those bgl's in the folders file Jon coded. I have no black boxes at the stock KABQ

My picture shows the Acceleration enhanced stock version of KABQ. The acceleration disk enhances some of the stock airports like Istanbul, Templehof, Alburquerque, Edwards AFB, Groom Lake and a few others.

If you have added Acceleration to FSX then you MUST add the 5 bgl's that start with FSXP_ found in the Global scenery folder to the LOM.

This is what my LOM looks like which is all the default stock bgl's (with Acceleration) found in the Global Scenery folder.

If you loaded SP2 off the Internet and do not have Acceleration you will not have the 5 bgl's that start with FSXP_ and you will not have all the enhanced airports.

GHD

Country
england
There is a lot of confusion here.

I DO NOT have or have I ever had the Albuquerque.bgl or the OBX19190 bgl added into my LOM just to get rid of black boxes at KABQ. That is because ADE already reads those bgl's in the folders file Jon coded. I have no black boxes at the stock KABQ
If so, why does Jon see the black boxes?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Probably because I have spent too much time messing around with my versions :oops: Do you see black boxes at KABQ George?

GHD

Country
england
Probably because I have spent too much time messing around with my versions :oops: Do you see black boxes at KABQ George?
I did until I added those folders. I don't think that ADE reads them by default.

BTW. I loaded SP2 from the Acceleration disk.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
You are correct George. I need to check but I don't think ADE has Albuquerque.bgl in the database, though I thought it did scan OBX files. I need to have a dig around and review how stock library object data is held.

Some of the airports you guys will see with the small square black boxes are

EDDI
KRNO
KABQ
KEDW
TNCM

What these have in common, they were all enhanced with additional airport scenery per Acceleration. Some of the scenery is in the city bgl such as Albuquerque.bgl, some in the OBX bgl and some in both places.

There are also other airports that got small modifications such as Key West (KEYW). You have to look deep to find the problem but like the other airports most of the problem is the autogenerated scenery that has the additional model data at the bottom of the OBX files.