• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Resample.exe Not Compiling

Country
us-florida
When I drag my .inf file onto Resample.exe to compile some imagery (3 sources, original, watermask, and blendmask), the window opens for a fraction of a second and then closes without making a bgl. Here is what it says when appearing:

1526396533427.png

1526396541684.png

Any ideas what is wrong with this or how to fix it? Thanks very much. Below is my inf file:

Code:
[Source]
Type = MultiSource
NumberOfSources = 3

[Source1]
Type = TIFF
Layer = Imagery
SourceDir = "."
SourceFile = "DG_Satellite_1.tif"
Variation = January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
Channel_BlendMask = 2.0
Channel_LandWaterMask = 3.0
ulyMap =  26.726472
ulxMap =  -80.668203
xDim =  26.670722
yDim =   -80.635042

[Source2]
Type = TIFF
Layer = None
SourceDir = "."
SourceFile = "X10_blendmask_gimp.tif"
SamplingMethod = Gaussian
ulyMap =  26.726472
ulxMap =  -80.668203
xDim =  26.670722
yDim =   -80.635042

[Source3]
Type = TIFF
Layer = None
SourceDir = "."
SourceFile = "X10_watermask.tif"
SamplingMethod = Gaussian
ulyMap =  26.726472
ulxMap =  -80.668203
xDim =  26.670722
yDim =   -80.635042

[Destination]
DestDir = "."
DestBaseFileName = "x10_photoreal"
DestFileType = BGL
LOD = Auto
UseSourceDimensions = 1
CompressionQuality = 85

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
The error says it can't find your input TIF file. So did you enter the right path for it? Is it located in the same folder as the inf file?

Country
us-illinois
Hi Caleb:

IIRC, SDK Resample will also throw that error about being 'unable to open data source' if the aerial imagery is not in:

Geographic (Lat-Lon) projection / WGS84 Datum (aka: EPSG:4326)

The important requirement which must be met for processing by SDK Resample is that the source files are in the correct GIS cartographic "projection" regardless of whether they are in a GeoTIFF or a BMP file format.

You should have received a Metadata file in ex: *.XML or *.TXT along with your GeoTIFF aerial imagery "DG_Satellite_1.tif";

That file lists projection and other crucial information to be used when preparing your imagery source data for use with the SDK compiler(s).

If for any reason you did not receive such a Metadata file, you can read / copy out that information ...in a GIS application.

I strongly suggest that you double-check your original GeoTIFF aerial imagery file(s with Ollyau's GeoTiff-to-INF utility to verify whether they need to be re-projected in a GIS application.

FYI: Ollyau's GeoTiff-to-INF utility will immediately report when a source reference file being read is NOT in the correct GIS cartographic "projection" required by SDK Resample.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/geotiff-to-inf.119/

BTW: You can "test" the original GeoTIFF aerial imagery file(s) by using them as a source reference to be read by Ollyau's GeoTiff-to-INF utility to write out a FS SDK Resample *.INF file for each such file, so that you will have Geo-referencing info and other required parameter values for use with the (fixed pixel dimensions) edited imagery...when submitted via a *.INF file to FS SDK Resample.

PS: SBuilderX will also not successfully Add Map > From Disk ...unless the imagery is "projected" correctly cartographically.

Because the section header in a *.TXT Geo-referencing file that normally accompanies a *.BMP output by SBuilderX via its own internal BGL compile routine has the word "Geographic" in it, technically you could "fool" SBuilderX into accepting the accompanying BMP by editing the Geographic coordinates for that aerial imagery file, but that would most likely result in an incorrect Geo-rectification of the texture image in the wrong GIS cartographic "projection" if the source files are not already projected in Geographic (Lat-Lon) Projection / WGS84 Datum (aka "EPSG:4326").

The proper way to do this would be to open a copy of the original GeoTIFF aerial imagery file(s) in a GIS application such as Global Mapper or QGIS etc.), re-project them into Geographic (Lat-Lon) Projection / WGS84 Datum (aka "EPSG:4326"):

http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/wgs-84/

...then export to a new GeoTiff file with an accompanying *.TFW 'world' Geo-referencing file.

Those resulting files can be used in SBuilderX via Add Map > From Disk; at the SBuilderX prompt to "Calibrate" just proceed without performing the calibration, as GeoTiff aerial imagery files in Geographic (Lat-Lon) Projection / WGS84 Datum (aka "EPSG:4326") ...are already correctly calibrated. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-florida
The error says it can't find your input TIF file. So did you enter the right path for it? Is it located in the same folder as the inf file?
Yes it's correct.
Hi Caleb:

IIRC, SDK Resample will also throw that error about being 'unable to open data source' if the aerial imagery is not in:

Geographic (Lat-Lon) projection / WGS84 Datum (aka: EPSG:4326)

The important requirement which must be met for processing by SDK Resample is that the source files are in the correct GIS cartographic "projection" regardless of whether they are in a GeoTIFF or a BMP file format.

You should have received a Metadata file in ex: *.XML or *.TXT along with your GeoTIFF aerial imagery "DG_Satellite_1.tif";

That file lists projection and other crucial information to be used when preparing your imagery source data for use with the SDK compiler(s).

If for any reason you did not receive such a Metadata file, you can read / copy out that information ...in a GIS application.

I strongly suggest that you double-check your original GeoTIFF aerial imagery file(s with Ollyau's GeoTiff-to-INF utility to verify whether they need to be re-projected in a GIS application.

FYI: Ollyau's GeoTiff-to-INF utility will immediately report when a source reference file being read is NOT in the correct GIS cartographic "projection" required by SDK Resample.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/geotiff-to-inf.119/

BTW: You can "screen" the original GeoTIFF aerial imagery file(s) by using them as a source reference to be read by Ollyau's GeoTiff-to-INF utility to write out a FS SDK Resample *.INF file for each such file, so that you will have Geo-referencing info and other required parameter values for use with the (fixed pixel dimensions) edited imagery...when submitted via a *.INF file to FS SDK Resample.

PS: SBuilderX will also not successfully Add Map > From Disk ...unless the imagery is "projected" correctly cartographically.

Because the section header in a *.TXT Geo-referencing file that normally accompanies a *.BMP output by SBuilderX via its own internal BGL compile routine has the word "Geographic" in it, technically you could "fool" SBuilderX into accepting the accompanying BMP by editing the Geographic coordinates for that aerial imagery file, but that would most likely result in an incorrect Geo-rectification of the texture image in the wrong GIS cartographic "projection" if the source files are not already projected in Geographic (Lat-Lon) Projection / WGS84 Datum (aka "EPSG:4326").

The proper way to do this would be to open a copy of the original GeoTIFF aerial imagery file(s) in a GIS application such as Global Mapper or QGIS etc.), re-project them into Geographic (Lat-Lon) Projection / WGS84 Datum (aka "EPSG:4326"):

http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/wgs-84/

...then export to a new GeoTiff file with an accompanying *.TFW 'world' Geo-referencing file.

Those resulting files can be used in SBuilderX via Add Map > From Disk; at the SBuilderX prompt to "Calibrate" just proceed without performing the calibration, as GeoTiff aerial imagery files in Geographic (Lat-Lon) Projection / WGS84 Datum (aka "EPSG:4326") ...are already correctly calibrated. ;)

GaryGB
Thanks for the reply. What exactly will Ollyau's GeoTiff-to-INF do for me? Generate a INF from my GeoTIFF file?
I do have a xml that was downloaded with the imagery (it's purchased satellite imagery, not from SBX) and it does have a <gml:posList> tag in it containing many different coordinates. Could these be the coordinates for each point on the outline that I defined when purchasing my imagery? Should I put the furthest north latitude in the "ulyMap=" field in the inf, the furthest west longitude in the "ulxMap=" field, the furthest south latitude in the "xDim=" field, and the furthest east longitude in the "yDim=" field?

Thanks

Country
us-florida
Sorry, the tag above contains ": p" in it and it is turning it into :p. Very sorry about that but this post should tell you what is supposed to mean. It's rather funny actually. :D:D:D

Country
us-illinois
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/resmaple-exe-not-compiling.442820/post-799186

Thanks for the reply. What exactly will Ollyau's GeoTiff-to-INF do for me? Generate a INF from my GeoTIFF file?

Ollyau's GeoTiff-to-INF will:

* Verify whether the GeoTIFF is projected properly for use with the SDK compilers

* Generate a basic SDK Resample *.INF from your GeoTIFF file; this can then be edited to include Seasons / Night / Masks etc.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/resmaple-exe-not-compiling.442820/post-799186

I do have a xml that was downloaded with the imagery (it's purchased satellite imagery, not from SBX) and it does have a <gml:posList> tag in it containing many different coordinates. Could these be the coordinates for each point on the outline that I defined when purchasing my imagery?

Possibly, depending on whether the GIS file is already projected properly for use with the SDK compilers.

If the GIS file is NOT already projected properly for use with the SDK compilers, it must first be re-projected

CAVEAT: Re-projected Geographic coordinates and imagery "shape" change; do not use improperly projected aerial imagery!:alert:

Should I put the furthest north latitude in the "ulyMap=" field in the inf, the furthest west longitude in the "ulxMap=" field, the furthest south latitude in the "xDim=" field, and the furthest east longitude in the "yDim=" field?

Thanks

First let's verify whether the aerial imagery is properly projected, by 'testing' it with Ollyau's GeoTiff-to-INF utility.

FYI: If you paste your "GMLPosList" (Metadata ?) info inside a "CODE" section, we may be able to read the info correctly:

Use the Insert > Code feature from the forum post icon toolbar. ;)

PS: Regarding the tag:
Code:
<gml:posList>

See: "GML" (aka "Geography Markup Language"):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_Markup_Language

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-florida
Ollyau's GeoTiff-to-INF will:

* Verify whether the GeoTIFF is project for use with the SDK compilers

* Generate a basic SDK Resample *.INF from your GeoTIFF file; this can then be edited to include Season / Night, Masks etc.
Ok, thanks.
Possibly, depending on whether the GIS file is already projected properly for use with the SDK compilers.

If the GIS file is NOT already projected properly for use with the SDK compilers. it must first be re-projected

CAVEAT: Re-projected Geographic coordinates and imagery "shape" change; do not use improperly projected aerial imagery!
I don't think the GIS file is already projected properly for use with the SDK compilers. I did get this error when trying to make a inf from it using Ollyau's GeoTiff-to-INF:
1526408296306.png

Do you know how I can re-project it properly for use with the SDK compilers?
First let's verify whether the aerial imagery is properly projected, by 'testing' it with Ollyau's GeoTiff-to-INF utility.
Results of the test with Ollyau's GeoTiff-to-INF are above.
FYI: If you paste your "GMLPosList" (Metadata ?) info inside a "CODE" section, we may be able to read the info correctly:

Thanks for the tip ;)

Country
us-illinois
If you paste your "GMLPosList" (Metadata ?) info inside a "CODE" section, we may be able to read that info correctly:

That will 'help us help you' with a procedure to re-project your 'purchased' GeoTIFF aerial imagery for use with SDK Resample.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-florida
If you paste your "GMLPosList" (Metadata ?) info inside a "CODE" section, we may be able to read that info correctly:

That will 'help us help you' with a procedure to re-project your 'purchased' GeoTIFF aerial imagery for use with SDK Resample.

GaryGB

Here you go:
(sorry about it being on one line I'm not sure if there is a word wrap feature in the code section of this forum)

Code:
<gml:posList>25.99234175387131 -80.69422873154052 25.991067355778902 -80.69422217936524 25.97282282370532 -80.53598714629754 27.009494892521285 -80.53775623362377 27.024807326156036 -80.68509172310935 27.02555755022586 -80.69255137466826 27.02555755022586 -80.69258413554466 27.025092345780816 -80.6925874116323 25.99234175387131 -80.69422873154052</gml:posList>

Country
us-illinois
IIUC, Those are coordinates for the extents of the aerial imagery coverage area, and does not contain a full set of Metadata.

I will post a link to a free version of DLGV32 Pro (aka "Global Mapper version-10") to view the GeoTIFF.

The Metadata can be viewed and copied to the Windows clipboard, but file 'export' is otherwise restricted.

< Hunting for my forum post and link regarding this free download >

GaryGB

Country
us-florida
I want to be sure that I understand what a "GeoTIFF" is. It is my image .tif file correct? And DLGV32 will read the image and tell me the coordinates for xDim and yDim?

Country
us-illinois
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/resmaple-exe-not-compiling.442820/post-799201

I want to be sure that I understand what a "GeoTIFF" is. It is my image .tif file correct?

[EDITED]

Yes (or rather: "very likely").

[END_EDIT]

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/resmaple-exe-not-compiling.442820/post-799201

...And DLGV32 will read the image and tell me the coordinates for xDim and yDim?

Yes, but they will only be for the current 'native' projection of the file as delivered to you by ex: Digital Globe.

That current 'native' projection of the file 'may' need to be re-projected into Geographic (Lat-Lon) Projection / WGS84 Datum / Arc Degrees (aka "EPSG:4326") ...via a GIS application (ex: Global Mapper).

I can post the steps to use for re-projection in Global Mapper, so I'd suggest getting a free 14-day full-featured demo license:

http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper-dlgv32.php

http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper-download.php

http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/downloadfile.php?id=841

NOTE:

It is also possible to use the 'free' demo of Global Mapper version-13 (aka "DLGv32_Pro" previously distributed via USGS / NASA) to read the internal Metadata of your GeoTiff file in its 'native' projection.

DLGv32_Pro Menu > Tools > Control Center > [Metadata] button > [Metadata] tab > [Copy to Clipboard] button

BTW: The 'free' DLGv32_Pro allows loading and reading of GIS files and their metadata, but does not allow output. :alert:

Download DLGv32_Pro here: :pushpin:

https://gcmd.nasa.gov/KeywordSearch/RedirectAction.do?target=c1my2S8on40LrGsKjy0lIvetTsPh6azn0z334O7+27Tj2YPG9cFD86ySLLLpiE7CGQN4XaJ1wIz4 /5IQhg0nAZnnqG/PfQ26+NpX/0nPJPs3+N2F/s35UA==&page=relatedURL

...from this web page:

https://gcmd.nasa.gov/KeywordSearch...dataView=Full&KeywordPath=&EntryId=DLGv32_Pro

...Using this download link:

https://gcmd.nasa.gov/KeywordSearch/RedirectAction.do?target=BCyG1Wpt9tRN1xLhCA7tsoCRS08apfnN1OlyfeEJgTgY8DzN+25rSuKZlQZ1OrcjJqBuropIWMoP uOAe1j+VfSXwyY9CJGvDdqRVaRhQJL6TH5NDcpmZbBBe+F2CXBWk&page=relatedURL

GaryGB

Last edited:
Somewhere, someone not so long ago told me how to calculate the X and Y dimensions ( they are NOT coordinates) of the individual cells of your geotiff but I cannot find it back.
The answer must be somewhere in some thread in FSDeveloper.
I have not the faintest whether your tiff is a geotiff or not.

Country
us-illinois
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/resmaple-exe-not-compiling.442820/post-799206

Somewhere, someone not so long ago told me how to calculate the X and Y dimensions ( they are NOT coordinates) of the individual cells of your geotiff but I cannot find it back.
The answer must be somewhere in some thread in FSDeveloper.
I have not the faintest whether your tiff is a geotiff or not.

Hi Roby:

The nice thing about GeoTIFFs is that they require only a very a basic *.INF file for SDK Resample. :)

FSX / P3D SDK Resample can directly read and internally use the Geo-referencing / Metadata of a GeoTIFF.

However, since most of us also use Seasonal / Night / Mask images derived from the 'diffuse' "DAY" image, it is helpful to first use Ollyau's GeoTiff-to-INF to generate a INF from that 'DAY' GeoTIFF file to derive the *.INF parameter values as discrete alphanumeric text entries, so that they can be used with *.INF entries for Seasonal / Night / Mask images derived from the 'diffuse' "DAY" image ...in an edited copy of that *.INF file. :idea:

BTW
: This is why we NEVER re-size the total pixel Rows / Columns for such Seasonal / Night / Mask images derived as separate images from the 'diffuse' "DAY" image after they are already "mapped" to the discrete alphanumeric text entries and Geo-referencing for the original "DAY" image GeoTIFF in the *.INF file.

Those FS developers that decide to re-size the total pixel Rows / Columns for such Seasonal / Night / Mask images derived from the 'diffuse' "DAY" image may opt to submit those to Resample as GeoTIFFs to reduce their workload.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-florida
Yes, but they will only be for the current 'native' projection of the file as delivered to you.
Where in DLGv32 Pro can I find out what to put in the xDim and yDim fields?
That current 'native' projection of the file 'may' need to be re-projected into Geographic (Lat-Lon) Projection / WGS84 Datum (aka "EPSG:4326") ...via a GIS application (ex: Global Mapper).

I can post the steps to use for re-projection in Global Mapper, so I'd suggest getting a free 14-day full-featured demo license:

http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper-dlgv32.php

http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper-download.php

http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/downloadfile.php?id=841
I downloaded this one:
https://gcmd.nasa.gov/KeywordSearch/RedirectAction.do?target=BCyG1Wpt9tRN1xLhCA7tsoCRS08apfnN1OlyfeEJgTgY8DzN+25rSuKZlQZ1OrcjJqBuropIWMoP uOAe1j+VfSXwyY9CJGvDdqRVaRhQJL6TH5NDcpmZbBBe+F2CXBWk&page=relatedURL
Is the trial of Global Mapper the same as the above link?
Would you mind posting instructions for re-projection in Global Mapper?

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Country
us-illinois

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/resmaple-exe-not-compiling.442820/post-799213

Is (this) the trial of Global Mapper (and is it) the same (version) as the above link?

No, get the 'trial' (aka "free 14-day full-featured demo" here:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/resmaple-exe-not-compiling.442820/post-799213

Where in DLGv32 Pro can I find out what to put in the xDim and yDim fields?

Would you mind posting instructions for re-projection in Global Mapper?

Thanks very much for your assistance.

First, lets see what the Metadata says for your (GeoTIFF ?) in Global Mapper version-13 (aka "DLGv32_Pro").

That information will tell us how to best proceed with processing your *.TIF file in Global Mapper.

Do you have Global Mapper version-13 (aka "DLGv32_Pro") installed now ?

GaryGB

Country
us-florida
No, get the 'trial' (aka "free 14-day full-featured demo" here:
Ok, will download soon.
First, lets see what the Metadata says for your (GeoTIFF ?) in Global Mapper version-13 (aka "DLGv32_Pro").

That information will tell us how to best proceed with processing your *.TIF file in Global Mapper.
Here is the metadata:
Code:
FILENAME=C:\Users\Caleb\Documents\CB Simulations\Scenery\X10\Photoreal\Purchace\DG_Satellite_1.tif
DESCRIPTION=DG_Satellite_1.tif
UPPER LEFT X=532999.623
UPPER LEFT Y=2956194.610
LOWER RIGHT X=536320.023
LOWER RIGHT Y=2950002.610
WEST LONGITUDE=80° 40' 6.0787" W
NORTH LATITUDE=26° 43' 35.6746" N
EAST LONGITUDE=80° 38' 5.3075" W
SOUTH LATITUDE=26° 40' 14.1167" N
PROJ_DESC=UTM Zone 17 / WGS84 / meters
PROJ_DATUM=WGS84
PROJ_UNITS=meters
EPSG_CODE=32617
COVERED AREA=20.56 sq km
NUM COLUMNS=11068
NUM ROWS=20640
NUM_BANDS=3
PIXEL WIDTH=0.3 meters
PIXEL HEIGHT=0.3 meters
BIT_DEPTH=24
PHOTOMETRIC=RGB Full-Color
BIT_DEPTH=24
ROWS_PER_STRIP=1
COMPRESSION=None
ORIENTATION=row 0 top, col 0 lhs
PIXEL_SCALE=( 0.3, 0.3, 1 )
TIEPOINTS=( 0.00, 0.00, 0.00 ) --> ( 532999.623, 2956194.610, 0.000 )
MODEL_TYPE=Projection Coordinate System
RASTER_TYPE=Pixel is Area
Are the "UPPER LEFT X" and "UPPER LEFT Y" entries above what I need to put in the "ulxmap" and "ulymap" fields in my inf? Where in the above code can I find what to put in the yDim and xDim fields in my inf?
Do you have Global Mapper version-13 (aka "DLGv32_Pro") installed now ?
Yes.

I greatly appreciate your assistance in this. Thanks.