• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Round earth?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GHD
  • Start date Start date

GHD

Messages
12,244
Country
england
I have made some parking markings but they are visible only in spot view and at certain zoom levels in top-down view.



Now you see them:



And slightly zoomed-in:



The signs are about 270 metres from the airpot reference point and the reference point is at the same elevation as the apron.

Any suggestions?
 
I have made some parking markings but they are visible only in spot view and at certain zoom levels in top-down view.
I gather, then, they are not visible at all from the user aircraft.

I doubt this has anything to do with elevations. In spot view, the markings are quite clearly on the ground.

I've seen this situation from top down. Perhaps its even normal for FSX. But I've never encountered a situation where the markings were visible in spot view and not from the user aircraft.

Obviously, the markings are there. I don't know what more I can do.

Don
 
When this has happened to me for other objects, it often turned out that the elevations of the airport were off by a very small amount, and that caused the problem. The solution varied, but usually resetting all elevations to the exact same value (and making sure that any file in Scenery/World/scenery was set at that value as well), ended such behavior.

That said, there have been certain locations where I never found an answer...
 
I have checked the xml and all elevations are accurate to a millimetre and this is the default altitude.

Could the asm be set to say 5mm AGL?
 
Could the asm be set to say 5mm AGL?
You can test it by, opening ADE_GP.asm (in the ADE folder), set a few elevations and run the result through BGL9.

You haven't confirmed whether or not the objects are visible from the user aircraft.

You don't have an old elevation correction file in your scenery/world/scenery folder, do you?

Don
 
You can test it by, opening ADE_GP.asm (in the ADE folder), set a few elevations and run the result through BGL9.

Which values are the elevations?

Code:
VERTEX_LIST_BEGIN
VERTEX_DEF  -546.581100,	0.0, 	138.432200,	0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 	0.120808,	0.438280
VERTEX_DEF  -549.450300,	0.0, 	135.639500,	0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 	0.053835,	0.439208
VERTEX_DEF  -556.443700,	0.0, 	142.800200,	0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 	0.053545,	0.292954
VERTEX_DEF  -553.574400,	0.0, 	145.592800,	0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 	0.120518,	0.292025
VERTEX_DEF  -510.779200,	0.0, 	101.352400,	0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 	0.120808,	0.292952
VERTEX_DEF  -513.648100,	0.0, 	98.559780,	0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 	0.053835,	0.292025
VERTEX_DEF  -520.641400,	0.0, 	105.720500,	0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 	0.053545,	0.438279
VERTEX_DEF  -517.772200,	0.0, 	108.513100,	0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 	0.120518,	0.439208
VERTEX_DEF  -609.233800,	0.0, 	203.647500,	0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 	0.182606,	0.438280
VERTEX_DEF  -612.103000,	0.0, 	200.854800,	0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 	0.115633,	0.439208
VERTEX_DEF  -619.096300,	0.0, 	208.015500,	0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 	0.115343,	0.292954
VERTEX_DEF  -616.227100,	0.0, 	210.808200,	0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 	0.182316,	0.292025
VERTEX_DEF  -571.290300,	0.0, 	164.139900,	0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 	0.182606,	0.292952
VERTEX_DEF  -574.159500,	0.0, 	161.347200,	0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 	0.115633,	0.292025
VERTEX_DEF  -581.152800,	0.0, 	168.507900,	0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 	0.115343,	0.438279
VERTEX_DEF  -578.283600,	0.0, 	171.300500,	0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 	0.182316,	0.439208
VERTEX_LIST_END

You haven't confirmed whether or not the objects are visible from the user aircraft.

Yes, they can be seen from the cockpit. It is just the top-down view which is zoom dependent.

You don't have an old elevation correction file in your scenery/world/scenery folder, do you?

No, I did say:

"I have checked the xml and all elevations are accurate to a millimetre and this is the default altitude."
 
Hmm,

I changed all of the zeros to 0.005 and it made no difference :confused:
 
It's not just my textures, it also happens with the default gp_ParkingDes.
 
George, remember that FSX has no inherent support for ground polys. As I understand it, that was a planned feature that was dropped. We are, therefore, fortunate to have any ground poly capability at all.

That being said, I have just tried compiling some of the work I've done for one of my airports and I don't have a similar problem. As well, I checked some earlier work I've done with Gmax and, likewise, no such issue. But, I did observe a similar difficulty with the big poly on Roby's GECE - which leads me to believe its airport specific.

(I have no answer for Why", though.)

Don.
 
Back
Top