• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Runway Display in ADE

Country
us-florida
I have mentioned previously that I encountered an issue with depiction of runways in ADE not always being aligned with what displays in the sim, and I am now seeing that it is not a one airport issue. Is this possibly a magnetic vs true heading issue that needs fixing? Currently, I have to misalign runway/taxiway links on the runway in the ADE display to get them to show aligned with the runway centerline in the sim. I also see that the runway displayed in ADE is sometimes not aligned with the apron under the runway when it is in the sim.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Well ADE draws runways based on true heading. When creating a runway in ADE the true heading should be set. It should not be anything to do with true or mag heading since true is what is on the ground and cannot be moved. I am not sure to what extent, if any, magvar is honored in the actual sim.

I suppose it is possible that the projection ADE uses to display an runway is different than that in MSFS. However the drawing code for ADE has not changed in a dozen years and versions. I will certainly check this out shortly

Country
us-illinois
Hi Art:

Would you please post some example screenshots of 'which' airport infrastructure objects appear misaligned relative to:

* each other

* their assigned (requested) "heading" when created / placed in ADE dialogs ?

AFAIK, MSFS' 3D world terrain grid for scenery objects (all versions including 2020) is aligned to Earth's Cardinal N-S, E-W axes (Geographical). :pushpin:

Jon: If one assigns (requests) a specified "heading" when a RWY is created / placed in ADE-2020, is it 'placed' Magnetic or True (Geographical) ? :scratchch

Thanks in advance for clarifying this. :)

True heading vs Magnetic:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tru...AuMZgBAKABAqABAaoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=gws-wiz

GaryGB

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Any placement of any object including runways needs to be on true heading. Since magvar changes over time we cannot go around digging up and re-aligning runways every few years. Set a runway in ADE to magnetic and things will be wrong

Country
us-florida
It seemed that mag variation might be involved since the deviation occurrence was limited to more N-S runways rather than E-W runways, but I now see it occurring on E-W instead of N-S runways. The best way to check is by loading a default airport, select to highlight the runway and see if it aligns with the apron underneath and the runway links. The ones that do not align in the ADE display actually do align in the sim.

Jon, good to see you back. Hope all is well.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK I will take a look. This may just come down to the graphics engine in ADE compared to the engine in MSFS.

Jon, good to see you back. Hope all is well.