• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v3 Runway Light Effect

Country
us-texas
After trying several default effects for runway lights, several times.....I'm close to giving up. Have tried pretty much all, and they disappear after only a mile or so. Tried modeling textured lights with several LOD's...same results (although it works great for taxi lights). So I always go back to SCASM lights, but it's getting old.

So, after being unable to find an answer anywhere on the web, I ask here, definitively :)

Is there an effect anywhere out there that will work as runway lights? Either default or custom?

Thanks,
David

Country
us-texas
Exactly.....not a single answer yet again, which leads to my conclusion that either such effect does not exist, or the code is so valuable that developers protect it very well.

SCASM lights forever! :mad:

:D

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
... or the code is so valuable that developers protect it very well

Yes, it looks like this. Every developer has a prescription as he creates lights that are based on textures. The fx files are not suitable for this kind of lighting (Maximum for red obstacle lamps near the airport). For one of my projects, I am currently updating the lighting. The result is quite okay. The 3-D lights are a mixture of 2 textures + special material settings and a special LOD system. If you want, you can have the recipe and maybe even improve it :)

SCASM lights forever!
:D:D:D

p3dv4_muelheim_3d_lights_1.jpg

Picture 1: P3Dv4 Muelheim Ruhr X 3-D Lights

p3dv4_muelheim_3d_lights_2.jpg

Picture 2: P3Dv4 Muelheim Ruhr X 3-D Lights

The secret? It has been explained a couple of times already in some of the threads here: inverse mipmapping! Textures and no effects.

Country
us-texas
The secret? It has been explained a couple of times already in some of the threads here: inverse mipmapping! Textures and no effects.

Robby I have searched and searched..........and never saw anything regarding inverse mipmaps. I'll take a look. Glad it was not an effect because I've fiddled with those as much as I can.

Country
us-texas
Yes, it looks like this. Every developer has a prescription as he creates lights that are based on textures. The fx files are not suitable for this kind of lighting (Maximum for red obstacle lamps near the airport). For one of my projects, I am currently updating the lighting. The result is quite okay. The 3-D lights are a mixture of 2 textures + special material settings and a special LOD system. If you want, you can have the recipe and maybe even improve it :)

Thanks Chris, let me try the inverse mipmaps and report back. I also tried endless (well, almost) LOD's and did work good on taxilights, but not runway lights. At least I got something out of my research. It may take reverse mipmaps and LOD's.

In any case thanks for offering.....we may have something here.

David

Nothing is easy and making the inverse mipmaps is not easy at all, but using your PSP, GIMP (or whatever paint program) plus ACES Image Tool, you should end up with nice and shiny runway approach lights that are visible from far away.
I will let you do the rest of the work yourself because you do now have the ingredients and find out how exactly as that goes beyond the scope of a thread in FSDeveloper (I would have to make a tutorial on YouTube to make it understandable).
Maybe Gary or Rick that are much more eloquent (and apparently have more time than I do before their wives start to complain:)) could explain it more in detail.

Cheers,

Roby (sorry one 'b' only, can't help it)

Country
us-illinois
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/runway-light-effect.441062/#post-781509

Yes, it looks like this. Every developer has a prescription as he creates lights that are based on textures. The fx files are not suitable for this kind of lighting (Maximum for red obstacle lamps near the airport).

For one of my projects, I am currently updating the lighting. The result is quite okay. The 3-D lights are a mixture of 2 textures + special material settings and a special LOD system.

If you want, you can have the recipe and maybe even improve it :)

Picture 1: P3Dv4 Muelheim Ruhr X 3-D Lights

Picture 2: P3Dv4 Muelheim Ruhr X 3-D Lights

Many thanks for your kind offer, Christian !

I believe others here, as well as myself, would appreciate it if you would share some insights and details on your workflow for ramp lights in P3D. :)

BTW
: Since P3D MDLs now have a Z-Bias negative offset Material Property option, one may be able to eliminate the flicker of Z-Buffer-fighting where a light splash on the bottom flat base plane of the ramp light MDL is placed AGL on the underlying P3D terrain surface. :idea:

PS: AFAIK, transparency can also be used for that light splash texture material on the bottom flat base plane of the ramp light MDL where it is placed AGL on the underlying P3D terrain surface, thereby allowing the underlying terrain texture to be seen as well. :pushpin:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Nothing is easy and making the inverse mipmaps is not easy at all, but using your PSP, GIMP (or whatever paint program) plus ACES Image Tool, you should end up with nice and shiny runway approach lights that are visible from far away.
I will let you do the rest of the work yourself because you do now have the ingredients and find out how exactly as that goes beyond the scope of a thread in FSDeveloper (I would have to make a tutorial on YouTube to make it understandable).
Maybe Gary or Rick that are much more eloquent (and apparently have more time than I do before their wives start to complain:)) could explain it more in detail.

Cheers,

Roby (sorry one 'b' only, can't help it)

Hi Roby:

I am not quite certain what you are referring to: o_O

About 69,900 results (0.87 seconds)
No results found for "inverse mipmaps".

Are you referring to scaling up mapped textures for MipMaps to fit larger-LOD-sized MDLs while at the same time reducing the image size of the ex: "light splash" ?

Or are you instead referring to using larger 'un-textured' geometry within a larger-LOD-sized MDL, so that the ramp 'light splash' has an effectively greater run time visibility display radius ? :scratchch

GaryGB

Last edited:

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Thanks Chris, let me try the inverse mipmaps and report back. I also tried endless (well, almost) LOD's and did work good on taxilights, but not runway lights. At least I got something out of my research. It may take reverse mipmaps and LOD's.In any case thanks for offering.....we may have something here

Hopefully I will not be embarrassed now. Sure, you can still pick up the 3-D lights and improve them. Maybe the MiMap technology is far more mature than my 3-D lights.

It was not easy to develop something of your own because there were strong deviations in the presentation. Depending on whether the HDR option was set in the graphics settings or not set, you got very different lights. However, this problem could be limited. The 3-D lights have a freely scalable visibility, currently the lights are visible around 32nm.

Have a little Lib with various lights created: http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/attach...3/?temp_hash=f07e89ca3eebaf7b241ee33c297b429c

You can attach the various lights as a Libary object to your light object.

1von_der_einen_seite_gruen.jpg

Picture 1: Green 3-D Light

2von_der_anderen_seite_rot.jpg

Picture 2: Same lights, but from the other side the light is red

3keine_probleme_mit_durchscheinenden_wolken.jpg

Picture 3: No problems with clouds

3d_lights_modelconverter.jpg

Picture 4: 3-D Lights in Arno's Modelconverter

Attachments

• bahrometrix_p3dv4_3d_lights.zip
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,094
Country
us-texas
Christian, they work great. Just tried them.I could not get 32sm visibility though, I could only get about 4.5sm, which is still a lot more than I can get. I think my LOD error was not making the last LOD big enough.
The only thing I would tweak is No Z Write change to True, and change specular color to 0,0,0 so you don't get that shiny ray all over,though it looked right on P3D.

I'll play with it some, perhaps add a 3D model to the LOD 105 and 100.

Thanks,
David

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hello David.

You are right, thanks for the hint :)

The range of the runway lights at zoom level 1 is about 7.5nm (14km). The visibility 32nm refers to my rotating beacon light, see picture:

p3dv4_3d_lights_visibility.jpg

Picture: The visibility of 3-D lights is about 7.5nm. The visibility of the rotating beacon light is approximately 32nm. It was measured under zoom level 1

Link Bahrometrix P3Dv4 3-D Lights: http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/attachments/bahrometrix_p3dv4_3d_lights-zip.36983/

Last edited:
Country
us-texas
Alright Chris, progress has been made! I went ahead and increased my final LOD sizes and got this to work significantly better.

This is the light model at LOD 100, has a nice daylight specular

RL4.jpg

This is the LOD 100 at night:

RL1.jpg

I started with 4 basic LOD: 100,75,50, and 5 .....Im still learning LOD generation. As you can see, my changes are a little bit abrupt. Need to figure out how to space them apart more subtle. Is there a formula for LOD vs real distance?
RL2.jpg

And lastly,the LOD 5 starts showing at about 3 NM, and can be seen as far as 7 NM, which is really more than enough for most small airports,or big airports with dim lights.

RL3.jpg

We are getting there sir!

Country
us-texas
I think I need to make LOD 75 and LOD 50 smaller. Probably leave LOD5 alone and add an interdim LOD 20.

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hi!

Your light effect looks very good! Very much softer and more beautiful than with my light effect. With your LOD system still more intermediate models have to be inserted so that the transition from one LOD model to the next LOD model is barely perceptible. In my LOD system, a total of 21 differently sized LOD models were created using a copying function (array).

p3dv4_lod_3d_lights.jpg

p3dv4_lod_3d_lights_copy.jpg

Hi,

I am not sure what you mean by LOD's in this context.
The way I explained (or tried to:() is to inverse the mipmaps (i.e. instead of the light point becoming smaller inside a smaller texture size, reverse it so that it becomes bigger inside a smaller texture.
Of course there are more ways to skin a cat but I found this one working as it should.
But, I rest my case:).

Cheers and good luck with your LOD-ding (whatever that means).

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hello Roby.

Before I tried myself to a solution, I had searched this forum. Again and again. But unfortunately I have found nothing suitable. The term "inverse mipmap" leads to no goal. Can you give a link so that we can benefit from your great experience, please? :)