• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Scenery no longer loading , objects listed as UNKNOWN

Country
canada
As you can see here on one of the dozens and dozens UNKNOWN scenery items they actually have the same GUID as my models XML. Its picking up the correct data, but nothing is rendering.

I cleaned, build, use console packagetool, reinstalled the SDK nothing is solving this. Nothing.

Screenshot_16.jpg

Country
canada
Okay so, this little EXE program here https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/online-json-file-validators.448981/ just saved me....i was SOMEHOW missing the layout and manifest file in my package folder. I guess on a backup or copy/past of paths they didn't come.

Now when this EXE rebuilt the layout.json I was missing the manifest (which is required to export successfully). I just used one from an older backup and BOBS YOUR UNCLE! All is back to greatness...saved me.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I just loaded my test Project and it all was listed... no unknowns. Other times there are Unknowns. A mystery and a bug.

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
Had this happen to me a few days ago.
Scenery objects listed as UNKNOWN, and the entire Airport (group) object listed as INVALID due to an invalid child that was not showing up in the editor (therefore I could not find it and delete it). Thus, I was unable to save any changes.

I fixed it yesterday by creating a backup of my entire project, deleting the ModelLib from the package and deleting the entire Airport Group, then saving and closing the package.
I then re-opened and re-added the ModelLib. That fixed the UNKNOWN objects for me.
I then added a new airport object, saved and closed the package.
I then went into my backup XML and copied the data, group by group, to within the Airport section of the XML. After editing and saving the XML after each group, I made sure to load the project in MSFS to ensure that no errors appeared. First, I copied aprons, then taxipaths and taxipoints and runways, and then parking spaces. In my case the errors came back when I copied the Jetways for the Parking Spaces, so, I simply left those out and then added them back from within MSFS Editor.
All is well... for now.

Country
macedonia
I'm experiencing the same problem now..After updating one BGL file and changing some papi settings on the runway, the package is not building up for any reason..Missing layout and manifest...

Country
canada
I'm experiencing the same problem now..After updating one BGL file and changing some papi settings on the runway, the package is not building up for any reason..Missing layout and manifest...
1) Create a new layout.json in ur package with an empty notepad txt file.

2) if u have an old backup of any manifest paste it in your package (manifest isn't as important and anyone would work for this fix and u can change the info after the fact).

2) get this small xml validator .exe, put it in the root of your project and drag your main XML on to it (the one you open a project with in the sim)

You will rebuild the jsons and your buildings will work again. If u are getting any errors on a build after this come back here and let me know.

Last edited:
Country
macedonia
1) Create a new layout.json in ur package with an empty notepad txt file.

2) if u have an old backup of any manifest paste it in your package (manifest isn't as important and anyone would work for this fix and u can change the info after the fact).

2) get this small xml validator .exe, put it in the root of your project and drag your main XML on to it (the one you open a project with in the sim)

You will rebuild the jsons and your buildings will work again. If u are getting any errors on a build after this come back here and let me know.
It worked @yorgosGK !
Thank you so so much !!!!

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
+1 on this, seemed to suddenly start happening one day and now I cannot build a package without doing this workaround suggested by yorgosGK,

When I try and build a package it seems to work, however nothing appears in the packages folder, but items such as aprons and ground elements I've drawn show up as they should, just the buildings and scenery object show up as 'Unknown' I don't get any errors in the console when compiling the package either so that just compounds my confusion as to what's causing this really frustrating issue.

Does anyone know a permanent fix to this, as currently my scenery project is on hold because of it.

Country
germany
@morganthomas757

Take a look here at the end, there is a workaround. Its annoying but should work....

Btw, it doesnt seem to have to do with the problem the ppl here had. At least i have a anifest.json and layout.xml, thats not the problem. The real problem is that for whatever reason we have to have the actual folder in the community folder. So we cannot build and reload the new built project via editor anymore. But if we build, put over the new package to community folder and restart, all will be there...

Country
unitedstates
I am a beginner at SDK so I could not understand the information about fixing the .json file.
I have had a similar issue and it has been particularly frustrating because I don't have an old version of my build to revert back to.

What happened was first I created a MaterialLib in the game and I noticed that after I created it my modelLib would not update with the models I was adding to the PackageSources/modeLib folder no matter how many times I built it.

So I deleted my MaterialLib because it seemed to me to be causing the problem. After I deleted it I lost all my custom objects in the game and it shows up with Package Unknown. I have been trying to figure out how to tell the system where to pull the model files from but nothing has worked. I tried adding a new modelLib that point to another folder with the same models and that has not worked either.

Attached is my bug list.

Attachments

• errors.txt
    318.5 KB · Views: 89
Ive been having trouble getting some textures to load on my latest object import so I decided to do a "clean" from the scenery editor

now every time I rebuild and relaunch the sim all my previous objects are marked as unknown and the scenery looks empty

Is there anything I can do to fix this?
yes, your paths are most likely wrong.

First, in your project you should have a BGL file for all the stuff you do to the airport (runways, taxiways, teraforming, grass, trees, parking spots etc..
Than you need to create an ART PROJECT which is now called ModelLib or something like that so you can import the custom models.

Now, in your folders structure you should have a scene folder. This is where you are supposed to save your "scene" and your "shape" files.
If this is not setup correctly and you did not save a "scene" file using one name, and the "shape" file using a different name, each time you save, it will overwrite and you loose your work, also end up with the "unknown" objects.
Unknown objects are most likely because of the wrong paths.
There are several youtube tutorials that can help you create the project properly.

Here's how you fix the paths:
When you select your BGL file in the project editor, in the Inspector, you should see your paths. For the AssetDir the path should be: scene\
For the OutputDir, the path should be: scenery\

When you select your art project, with the update 7 now called "ModelLib" in your project editor window, in the Inspector window you can see the paths.
Must name this file with some custom name... name of your airport and custom models or something
AssetDir path, just click on the 3 dots and point it to wherever is your ModelLib folder
OutputDir path should be: scenery\

And how do you change those paths as the FS will not let you do it in those windows?

In your folder structure, go to your project, and find PackageDefinitions folder.
Inside you should have one folder and one xml file. These 2 should have exactly the same name!
Open your xml file using the text editor (for example notepad ++), and edit the text file to fix those paths above.

You'll find 2 paragraphs that have BGL and the other one is ModelLib type.. those are the paths you need to change...

And than your unknown objects should get their names back... or you might need to import them again.. but anyway with all this above you will be able to save the project correctly.

Good luck!