• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v5 SimDirector object placement

Country
nigeria
How can I place custom made objects via P3D v5 simdirector ? I can only place objects from the default scenery libraries and if there's any alternate way to place objects using live preview kindly mention.

Thanks.

Country
unitedkingdom
Add your models to a new model library (call it whatever) using Library Manger and ensure the library is located in a scenery folder P3D recognises. When you then run Simdirector you will now see your new library and the models in it. I have found the performance of Simdirector to have been woeful but now fixed in V5.3 - object library loads very quickly and the all the function work!

Country
unitedkingdom
Raheem, what release of V5? As far as I am aware, SimDirector only started functioning with 5.3 Hotfix 1 ( I have not got around to Hotfix 2). Like you I used to use V4 with a cut down scenery library - only the lib objects I required as the catalog in V4 takes ages to load if you have lots of scenery add ons. All these issues disappear when using P3D V5.3 HF1. Hope this helps (I am currently enjoying using the newly working code!)

Country
unitedkingdom
Raheem, what release of V5? As far as I am aware, SimDirector only started functioning with 5.3 Hotfix 1 ( I have not got around to Hotfix 2). Like you I used to use V4 with a cut down scenery library - only the lib objects I required as the catalog in V4 takes ages to load if you have lots of scenery add ons. All these issues disappear when using P3D V5.3 HF1. Hope this helps (I am currently enjoying using the newly working code!)
I can place objects using the simdirector. However they do not appear if not in that save file. I can't export it and drag the exported file onto BGL comp like a tutorial showed online. Is there a way to do this now? I see they have removed the web page for exporting to bgl from the simdirector tutorial.

Country
unitedkingdom
I can place objects using the simdirector. However they do not appear if not in that save file. I can't export it and drag the exported file onto BGL comp like a tutorial showed online. Is there a way to do this now? I see they have removed the web page for exporting to bgl from the simdirector tutorial.
Sean, when you have a model .mdl file you wish to place in P3D, you must first add it to an Object Library File and then save the Object Library. You can create, add models to and save an object library file using Library Creator XML. When you do this, SimDirector will see the Library and your model in its catalog. You can then drag the "model name" (not the model picture) to the scenery and place. After placing your model and or additional copies and/or other models, you must then select FILE then EXPORT these models from SimDirector which creates bgl and sxml files. Place the bgl file (I also place the sxml file as well) in a P3D scenery library and you will find all your placed models appear when you start the simulator. A scenery library is ANY folder with the name scenery. P3D on load (partly why it takes so long), amongst other things, collates and loads all the scenery folders.
If you do not export, then yes you only see the model(s) in the saved scenario fxml file of the SimDirector session.
If you wish to keep a copy of all the model placements you just placed in a SimDirector session, put them into a SimDirector Group and then from the top line select Export Group to create an OGRP file of these placements - for future use in SimDirector (to save you repeating the placement exercise when you may just wish to add further models}. When you open a SimDirector session, you can then import the OGRP file.
Note: I have not used this facility lately as in earlier versions of P3D I found the placement from the OGRP file was not accurate - but things may have changed with P3D V5.3 on.
So the key point is - create the bgl sxmlfiles and put them into a scenery library.
Hope this helps.