• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Single Texture Sheet

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi All,

Is it possible to convert an old SU model i made for P3D into Xplane? The main issues i am facing at the moment is the texture sheet. At present i have multiple textures and i need to place them on a single texture sheet. I can do this manually, but was hoping someone might know of a quick way to make SU create a single texture sheet to allow me to import into the xplane?

Thank you in advance.

As long as you haven't used texture tiling, ModelConverterX can combine textures into a single one (if possible) by using the DrawCall Minimizer in the Material Editor (Drawcall tab).

tried the MCX trick above, but it splits the item into 5 Obj as it a complex object! So still on the look for a solution to a Single UV texture if possible?

MCX can merge multiple textures into one, but this isn't by far the most efficient method. In fact, most pros don't ever let MCX do that. You should design and plan your textures to optimize quantity as much as possible. One 1024x1024 texture sheet, i.e., should be able to cover multiple objects.

If you still have the master sku model, just manually blend the textures into a single sheet and re-texturize the object. Avoid UV manipulation.

On the other hand, if MCX is still splitting your sheets into multiple sheets, it may be because you have a blend of transparent, non-transparent, speculars, or "stretched" textures.
Stretched textures happens when you manipulate the texture in SKU to force fit into a model face, and it loses its original UV mapping. This will generate a new _0, _1, _2 texture (accordingly).

David

MCX can merge multiple textures into one, but this isn't by far the most efficient method. In fact, most pros don't ever let MCX do that. You should design and plan your textures to optimize quantity as much as possible. One 1024x1024 texture sheet, i.e., should be able to cover multiple objects.

If you still have the master sku model, just manually blend the textures into a single sheet and re-texturize the object. Avoid UV manipulation.

On the other hand, if MCX is still splitting your sheets into multiple sheets, it may be because you have a blend of transparent, non-transparent, speculars, or "stretched" textures.
Stretched textures happens when you manipulate the texture in SKU to force fit into a model face, and it loses its original UV mapping. This will generate a new _0, _1, _2 texture (accordingly).

David
Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I was hoping I would not have to do the above. But it sounds like it is the only option. I am trying to convert a p3d model to xplane. Hence, I have to use just a single sheet.

I will merge all the textures in PS onto a single sheet and reapply in SU. Hopefully then I can export the model and use the single texture sheet to import into xplane.

Thank you again

Hello:

A Sketchup plugin Ruby script by Aerilius called "Make Unique Texture++" may help by writing out a re-mapped texture material as a separate and discrete image which contains the baked-in "distortions" (aka "stretching"). :idea:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=fo0WW-auFqeD5wKB9JfoBg&q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+GaryGB+Aerilius+Unique+texture&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+GaryGB+Aerilius+Unique+texture&gs_l=psy-ab.3...2165.27049.0.27346.39.37.2.0.0.0.157.3239.31j4.35.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..2.4.449...0j0i131k1.0.FtqBwtnPkvs

Once created, those Faces can also be merged with others in the same geometric surface plane via Sketchup's "Combine Textures" feature.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hello:

A Sketchup plugin Ruby script by Aerilius called Unique Texture++ may help write out a re-mapped texture material as a separate and discrete image which contains the "distortions" (aka "stretching").

https://www.google.com/search?sourc....64.psy-ab..2.4.449...0j0i131k1.0.FtqBwtnPkvs

Once created, those Faces can also be merged with others in the same geometric surface plane via " Sketchup's Combine Textures" feature.

GaryGB
To the rescue ....I am going to start calling you bat man!

Thank you

Back