• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX [SOLVED] Texture problem while applying on lofts

Country
pakistan
Hi everyone , I am following Jtanabodee's "How to make ground polys for the year 2014" ,
I am working on 3dsMax 2017 64X and the following two problems are occurring with me

1) While applying texture to the loft it doesn't apply perfectly on the curved faces as if you see in the previews i have posted below i have set materials in the material editor to P3D ( Using the P3D v4 SDK)

Screenshot_1.png
34503470_1799227453506591_9181439802992492544_n.png

2) Following is my texture sheet for straight lines it displays well and is perfect while in photoshop or photoviewer but when i import it in the dxtbmp or the 3dsmax the texture messes up and does not show up how it is supposed to
a) The Transparency on edge of the first texture does not retain
b)Hold short markings are messed up when imported ( Though i do know it has to be fixed so it can be repeated it isnt in that shape rn) . I have exported the image as .png as it is the most suitable image type for my project .

pic 1 > how the texture is in photoshop or photoviewer (White is transparent)
pic 2 > how it looks in DXTBMP
pic 3 > how it looks in 3dsMax

screenshot_2-png.42436
34556349_1799351006827569_4705796676097409024_n.png
34631392_1799245000171503_6040634286485274624_n.png

If anyone knows a fix to these problems and can help me it would be much appreciated , thank you .

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    976.9 KB · Views: 645
Last edited:
A

Aviasim

I suspect the issue comes down to the fact it's such a large loft and texture, heavily contracted one side and stretched on the other.

I would opt to reduce the size of the loft shape itself and have the double yellows on a separate layer/loft

Country
pakistan
I suspect the issue comes down to the fact it's such a large loft and texture, heavily contracted one side and stretched on the other.

I would opt to reduce the size of the loft shape itself and have the double yellows on a separate layer/loft

Thank for replying so yeah i consider your suggestion but it will need alot of rework since i have all the lofts done and they'll have to made again and adjusted .

I had another thing in mind so i tried increasing shape steps to 2 or 3 where this issue becomes unnoticeable but i was wondering is it going to have any bad impact on FPS , or any kind of affect ?

A

Aviasim

Thank for replying so yeah i consider your suggestion but it will need alot of rework since i have all the lofts done and they'll have to made again and adjusted .

I had another thing in mind so i tried increasing shape steps to 2 or 3 where this issue becomes unnoticeable but i was wondering is it going to have any bad impact on FPS , or any kind of affect ?

Agressive tiling will result in blurries for anyone not using near maximum settings within P3D - try to keep tiled textures to a minimum...increasing steps won't really fix it, it will reduce the visibility of the same problem.

I would strongly recommend using the "Sweep" modifier - Sweep does the same thing as a Loft, but allows you to apply it to multiple lines at one time and edit accordingly. This will save you a lot of time if you do decide to make the lofts smaller and have the double yellows on their own layer and loft.

I personally wouldn't increase the steps, especially if it is already following the exact edge of your main surface, this is of course increasing poly count and will not fix the issue but instead make the inside tile more violently.

If none of this applies to you, you could always alpha out the actual asphalt so you have just your edge (and a small bit over either side) and your double yellow markings

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I think I have answered this question before but I cannot find it.
#1 The texture does not mapped properly.
It happened because the length of the curvatures of Loft are not the same, the inner one is shorter than the outer curve. You need to unwrap the loft then -> Select all vertices ->Break Selected Vertices ->Select the polygon you have problem and re-arrange the length of the curvature: outer curve to be more length or inner curve to be less.
Sweep is much better function than Lofting. But your problem does not related to the method of making the model. Mapping method of Loft is the way to put texture fits in the width of the model. When the model has curve, the length inside curve and outside cure are not the same. So the texture get distorted.
#2 The transparency and the texture look in other program.
I am not sure what happen. But I never use DXTbmp program. I use only ImageTool from FSX sdk to change the texture file to DXT5 with mipmap. Then I get a look in Flight Sim( FSX, P3D, whatever). If it does look right, that's all. Sometime this program does not display the same way as FSX/P3D does.

Last edited:
Country
pakistan
I think I have answered this question before but I cannot find it.
#1 The texture does not mapped properly.
It happened because the length of the curvatures of Loft are not the same, the inner one is shorter than the outer curve. You need to unwrap the loft then -> Select all vertices ->Break Selected Vertices ->Select the polygon you have problem and re-arrange the length of the curvature: outer curve to be more length or inner curve to be less.
Sweep is much better function than Lofting. But your problem does not related to the method of making the model. Mapping method of Loft is the way to put texture fits in the width of the model. When the model has curve, the length inside curve and outside cure are not the same. So the texture get distorted.
#2 The transparency and the texture look in other program.
I am not sure what happen. But I never use DXTbmp program. I use only ImageTool from FSX sdk to change the texture file to DXT5 with mipmap. Then I get a look in Flight Sim( FSX, P3D, whatever). If it does look right, that's all. Sometime this program does not display the same way as FSX/P3D does.

Thanks buddy you're a life saver , i followed #1 and got the loft issues fixed now i am onto #2
For now i just tested it and will be more precise when i do them for all lofts
This is before

37117222_1859311234164879_6968499504781721600_n.png

and this is after trying your fix

37023387_1859311740831495_8042831835245314048_n.png