• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Spaceflight dynamics module for FSX

Country
ca-ontario
Hello all,

I've been working on this project for quite a while now, and as of a few days ago, I've overcame a major go-nogo hurdle, so I am extremely excited to announce this:

I've coupled FSX with a SimConnect DLL that utilizes a third-party fully-featured physics library to create an add on that will allow FSX to simulate spaceflight through a high-fidelity ballistic astrodynamic flight model. The physics model has highly capable set of features which will allow FSX users to define launch "stack" architecture in minute details, utilizing existing FSX SDK tools to create content and expand on the FSX functionality to push FSX into Earth orbit and outer space. This is NOT slew-driven engine; this is a completely new flight model that overrides FSX's existing flight model and re-defines the object using astrodynamic properties.

Major features of the spaceflight dynamics module:

• deterministic, non-iterative dynamics solver
  • fully-featured, high-fidelity collision engine
  • precise point-force modelling (not just torques applied over major axis)
  • ability to assemble a launch "stack" and simulate launch, staging and orbit insertion
  • ability to build (assemble) and maintain persistent orbital structures
  • ability to dock with other objects in orbit, and to swap user control

User will be able to design content with all the usual FSX SDK tools, and expand it with a set of spaceflight-specific features to define it as a spaceflight object, be it payload, manned capsule, cargo, booster, main lifter, mating adapter, or whatever. While the current FSX limitations prohibit venturing too far from Earth (but far enough to have fun :) ), I've been exploring ways on how to simulate trip form Earth to other solar system bodies and I've had a few promising results. That, however, is a long term plan. For now, I'll include a few screenshots of the test scenarios I've been running while developing this engine. Enjoy!

Misho
author, TerraBuilder

34c3ecb8d8c5c6c62a13ce7211b05cdf.png

36c2f6598684a5da15fa5a651bf28e5f.png

SvC8v+

86aa81a28b2e7b15f969eab2c207a3c0.png

285a241df9bd2944b159bc8d95003867.png

0ac205b0d61e91d6e3cd0343faac76b9.png

a51ec42d2b7532018123330d950d0dc3.png

Last edited:
Country
netherlands
With this you can take the CaptainSim Spaceshuttle to a whole different level! This looks very interesting!

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Impressive. And already a CST100 to test it with...

Are space-related avionics included?
I need at least an orbital information display when going up or down.

TurboCompound

Resource contributor
Would it be possible to implement the collision engine into the general sim? I would love to have collision physics with existing aircraft.

Country
ca-ontario
Impressive. And already a CST100 to test it with...

Are space-related avionics included?
I need at least an orbital information display when going up or down.

Thanks! Small correction: Pictured is NASA's Orion :)

Yes, space-related avionics will be included. Finding stuff up there without it would be next to impossible!

Country
ca-ontario
Would it be possible to implement the collision engine into the general sim? I would love to have collision physics with existing aircraft.

I'm thinking no right off the bat, but as I delve more and more into it, perhaps there is a way...

Country
ca-ontario
With this you can take the CaptainSim Spaceshuttle to a whole different level! This looks very interesting!
Indeed! External tank and solid boosters will have to be modelled, and then the add-on will provide functionality to have them assembled together for a launch.

One thing I am unsure about is the transition between ballistic and FSX flight models, when the orbiter turns from a falling brick to a glider :) I am unsure if it is possible, at supersonic speeds, to switch from ballistic to FSX flight model without any visible transition from FSX's perspective.

Last edited:

JB3DG

Resource contributor
Country
southafrica
It would be better if you could write your own aerodynamics model to switch to from the ballistics model.

Country
france
Well, now FSX will be F&SSX :) (Flight and Space Sim X :p)
if you need a betatester, well, I try to reach space since I know FSX has space (as I was on FS9 before, wich don't have space) :p

Also, is is Compatible with P3D? :)

ollyau

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Looks great! I'd definitely be interested in giving it a try. It has my name written all over it. :D

Orion

Country
ca-ontario
Well, now FSX will be F&SSX :) (Flight and Space Sim X :p)
if you need a betatester, well, I try to reach space since I know FSX has space (as I was on FS9 before, wich don't have space) :p

Also, is is Compatible with P3D? :)

Thanks ;) The module is a plain SimConnect DLL... as with other DLL add-ons, all you need to activate it is a simple entry in DLL.xml. As for P3D, I am unsure what "makes" it compatible... I never tried P3D and I'd like to stick to the lowest common denominator, which in this case is FSX SP2 (which I believe brings it to FSXA, correct?). I am almost certain it will work with the Steam edition, I just haven't had time to test it yet.

Country
ca-ontario
As far as other solar system bodies, I've managed to create Moon by completely replacing Earth textures with high-resolution lunar textures (below are the results). What I haven't tried yet is whether I can change the size of the "globe" using FSX SDK.

ad5e9574f9a4c02f3589a83cacd986ff.jpeg

6d3232900e7c807fa2450346d46c123e.jpeg

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Thanks! Small correction: Pictured is NASA's Orion :)

Yes, space-related avionics will be included. Finding stuff up there without it would be next to impossible!

Ah, those modern CSMs all look the same. :p

What about reentry?
Heating, transition to the standard flight dynamics, parachute handling, etc...

Btw: If you need a Shuttle model, Flight Gear has one and it's GPL-licensed.

Country
ca-ontario
Ah, those modern CSMs all look the same. :p

What about reentry?
Heating, transition to the standard flight dynamics, parachute handling, etc...

Btw: If you need a Shuttle model, Flight Gear has one and it's GPL-licensed.

Yeah :D You've seen one cone, you've seen them all :D

The pure physics is just a summation of forces acting on the body in motion. Same holds true for FSX's flight model, except it is much more complicated than ballistics, which I am dealing with. Since I have a full control over the physics model, re-entry (in it's simplest form) would be a force, whose magnitude is a function of shape profile, air density and speed. Heating, while I don't intend to model the "actual" heating, will be depicted using FSX's SFX toolbox (that was a mouthful :p )

Transition to the standard flight dynamics will not be needed for ballistic objects (capsules) since, well, they don't fly. As for the winged spacecraft, while none are in use today (manned, that is), I would love to have Space Shuttle, X-37 OTV and Dream Chaser in the future. As I was mentioning in one of the previous posts, I have to test whether a transition from ballistic to FSX flight model at high speeds (when a spacecraft turns from a hot falling brick to a glider) manifests in any visible anomaly. This will involve a rather simple test... I'll perform it one of these days and report back. :cool:

Parachute handling - an effect of the parachute is simply a force on a body, upwards, of varying magnitude (stages from drogue chute to full deployment). Visually, I can certainly put together an animation of a deploying parachute... I'm a pretty good 3D modeller, all of the objects in screen shots (including interiors) were modelled by myself.

What is more "difficult" in terms of modelling the correct spaceflight engine is the proper "assembly" of the launch "stack", or a space launch vehicle. This requires assembly of components that hold together as a unit, but are able to detach during the flight, when they are no longer needed (also known as "Staging"), and, also, docking or assembling structures in space. FSX does not have this capability, or it is very limited, mostly through the means of mission creation (flour bombs and such). I'm working on ways to have this much more flexible :stirthepo.

Misho

Last edited:

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
The pure physics is just a summation of forces acting on the body in motion. Same holds true for FSX's flight model, except it is much more complicated than ballistics, which I am dealing with. Since I have a full control over the physics model, re-entry (in it's simplest form) would be a force, whose magnitude is a function of shape profile, air density and speed. Heating, while I don't intend to model the "actual" heating, will be depicted using FSX's SFX toolbox (that was a mouthful :p )

Well, effects is all you need. i'm not expecting you to go to KSP levels of fidelity with heating and heat dissipation.

Transition to the standard flight dynamics will not be needed for ballistic objects (capsules) since, well, they don't fly.

Umm...they did fly a bit. Gemini and Apollo could alter their orientation and thus trajectories upon reentry.

As for the winged spacecraft, while none are in use today (manned, that is), I would love to have Space Shuttle, X-37 OTV and Dream Chaser in the future. As I was mentioning in one of the previous posts, I have to test whether a transition from ballistic to FSX flight model at high speeds (when a spacecraft turns from a hot falling brick to a glider) manifests in any visible anomaly. This will involve a rather simple test... I'll perform it one of these days and report back. :cool:

From the top of my head, FSX' flight model only works until mach 4, so you'll have to cover a bit of ground for the transition.

Parachute handling - an effect of the parachute is simply a force on a body, upwards, of varying magnitude (stages from drogue chute to full deployment). Visually, I can certainly put together an animation of a deploying parachute... I'm a pretty good 3D modeller, all of the objects in screen shots (including interiors) were modelled by myself.

I'll be waiting for Gemini and an Agena.

What is more "difficult" in terms of modelling the correct spaceflight engine is the proper "assembly" of the launch "stack", or a space launch vehicle. This requires assembly of components that hold together as a unit, but are able to detach during the flight, when they are no longer needed (also known as "Staging"), and, also, docking or assembling structures in space. FSX does not have this capability, or it is very limited, mostly through the means of mission creation (flour bombs and such). I'm working on ways to have this much more flexible :stirthepo.

Might want to get in touch with the TACPACK guys as they manage to attach weapons to already existing models. The same principle can be used for rocket stacks.

Country
ca-ontario
Might want to get in touch with the TACPACK guys as they manage to attach weapons to already existing models. The same principle can be used for rocket stacks.

Actually, the physics engine already has quite a powerful toolbox that covers this functionality, so it is now just a matter of warming up the chair and implementing it. :wizard: