• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Special Animation

Country
unitedstates
GMAX: How can I set the motion tags for an object who is affected by a landing bogey tilt rotation and at the same time by compression?
I'm using FSXA

Attachments

• B777Bogey.JPG
    B777Bogey.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Normally you create two parts and link one to the other. The parent handles one of the two animations, and the child performs the other one.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Here's a quick & dirty example which uses Look At constraints in Gmax. These must be collapsed to keyframes before exporting to FSX, so the second file has that done for you.

Look at the hierarchy to see how this is organised.

Attachments

• Bogeys.zip
    17.4 KB · Views: 212
Country
unitedstates
Thaks hairspin and tgibson for your answers.
I have tried the way tgibson propose but it didn't work for me, after that I tested something very similar to your proposition and I still have problems. This is why I posted this thread. Here are some view of what I have done.
I pictured frame 0,10,100 and 200, also the result.
Frame0_Retracted.JPG Frame10_Tilt.JPG Frame100_FullExtended.JPG Frame200_FullContracted.JPG BadAlignement.JPG
Obviously, I am doing something wrong. Have you an idea?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Make sure that your animation controllers are set to LINEAR in GMAX.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Have you noticed the entire lower set of parts has moved, not just the oleo? As Tom says, use linear animation controllers only:- http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...rted-With-Gmax&p=814795&viewfull=1#post814795

I found with practice that all animated objects need a Reset Xform before setting up the animation. F'rinstance, Look At constraints will pick up scaling applied to a parent object and apply it to the constrained, animated child object otherwise.

Tidy landing gear, btw! :cool:

Country
unitedstates
Thank you guys, I verified my animation controllers and are set to Linear. I didn't remember when I did it. Now, I have to update myself about the Reset XForm and Look At constraints. I'll be back soon.

Country
unitedstates
Have you noticed the entire lower set of parts has moved, not just the oleo? As Tom says, use linear animation controllers only:- http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...rted-With-Gmax&p=814795&viewfull=1#post814795

I found with practice that all animated objects need a Reset Xform before setting up the animation. F'rinstance, Look At constraints will pick up scaling applied to a parent object and apply it to the constrained, animated child object otherwise.

Tidy landing gear, btw! :cool:

Thanks,
Well, I went trough the topics you explain before. First I reset XForm, then I used Look At constraint. Is a very powerful function, and it works neat for making animations in Gmax. Once I collapse my rotation to frames I saw that the rollout related to Look At constraint disappear. This means that the Look At's target is to be able to create frames in an easy way but do not have anything to do with FSX. After collapsing, I tagged my objects as l_gear and Export. The result is exactly the same as before. What it brings me to pose the same question. How can I do, in Gmax, to set an animation that in FSX respond to bogey tilt and to compression animations?

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
You need to do this to all objects in the gear, not just the piston and cylinder. If you still can't get your head around it, send me the undercarriage and I'll rig it for you. Email address sent in PM.

Country
unitedstates
You need to do this to all objects in the gear, not just the piston and cylinder. If you still can't get your head around it, send me the undercarriage and I'll rig it for you. Email address sent in PM.

Thanks Tom, I think I will accept your offer.

Country
unitedstates
Finally I found something that works for me, and I would like to share it with all you guys.

1- I create the upper and lower objects in gmax.
2- I used Look-At Constaint to set the Keyframes for each part, Upper and Lower objects. The objects are then perfectly aligned.
3- I clone these objects and reduced it about 80%. I positioned them at the same local rotation center as the original objects and rename them as Upper and Lower Dummy.
4- I linked the Original objects to the Dummy objects respectively.
5- I linked the Upper Dummy object to the main axe of the landing gear and the Lower Dummy object to bogey object to complete the hierarchy.
6- I save my file and Export it. I run FSX and noticed that the parts didn't aligned.
7- I went back to gmax and rotated the originals objects to compensate the miss alignment, leaving the dummies untouched.
8- After 2 or 3 times of trial and error, the two parts of the piston worked well in FSX, although in gmax it doesn't align as you can see in the picture.

Note: The original objects were Tagged with l_gear (0-200) and the dummies with l_bogey_tilt (0-200) for the left landing gear. I can post the full code for l_bogey_tilt if someone needs it.

I think this is not the best solution but it's a solution and any comment to do this in a better way, will be appreciated.
gmaxView.JPG Landing1.JPG Landing2.JPG Landing3.JPG
Thanks to tgibson and hairyspin for your advices and comments.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Thanks Tom, I think that making a little more job we can find a general rule to avoid the trial and error thing.