• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Suggetions Please

Country
us-northdakota
I am looking at developing an vastly overlooked airport by developers of FSX/P3d.

The airport is a major airport and has a couple of long buildings that are over 600ft long by 100ft wide.

The question is, would you draw this as one big rectangle block and use the draw tool and push pull to add detail or would you break it up in to 3 or 4 segments?

I am in the beginning curve of learning Sketchup and Blender.

Thanks

Randy

Hi Randy:

Objects with maximum dimensions of up to 1000 Meters (aka 1 Kilometer or 3,280.83 Feet) can be accurately drawn and Geo-located in Sketchup, as well as rendered in FS with no problem. :pushpin:

Arno's ModelConverterX (aka "MCX") will internally and automatically segment and align any objects to fit the "curve of the Earth" for the FS run time spheroidal 3D world model terrain surface. :wizard:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi Randy:

Objects with maximum dimensions of up to 1000 Meters (aka 1 Kilometer or 3,280.83 Feet) can be accurately drawn and Geo-located in Sketchup, as well as rendered in FS with no problem. :pushpin:

Arno's ModelConverterX (aka "MCX") will internally and automatically segment and align any objects to fit the "curve of the Earth" in the FS run time spheroidal 3D world model terrain surface. :wizard:

GaryGB

Gary,

Are you aware of a plugin for SU that I can input the dimensions of the object I want instead of using the rectangular tool to drag it?

Hi Randy:

Is there a particular challege you have encountered with using the default "Rotated Rectangle" tool or the plugin Ruby script "3 Points (Rotated) Rectangle" tool ? :scratchch

In answer to your question, there are indeed a number of plugin Ruby scripts for Sketchup which allow creating objects (especially buildings) by "parametric" methods via dialog boxes with fill-in fields, and even by external Excel spreadsheets.

However, IMHO, it is quicker and easier to use Sketchup version-8 with Aerilius' KML Tools plugin to import a "Path" KML file drawn in- and exported by- Google Earth Desktop Edition along with the "Rotated Rectangle" tool and Extrude (aka "Push-Pull") tool in Sketchup. :pushpin:

If one uses the Geo-location work-around for Sketchup discussed here: :idea:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/sketchup-add-location-work-around.441200/post-782754

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/updated-sketchup-wont-work.440430/

...one can properly position and size a screenshot from Google Earth for use as a better quality Sketchup 'background image' than would otherwise be available through the default Geo-location imagery that Trimble currently provides in the latest payware versions of Sketchup. ;)

After importing such a aerial imagery screenshot image to a Sketchup project, drawing a line on the ground plane in Sketchup along the longest edge of buildings in the 'background image' and then using the above "Rotated Rectangle" tool and Extrude (aka "Push-Pull") tool, actually can allow extruding 'Faces' into 3D building 'primitives' rather quickly with minimal practice. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
At least with Sketchup 8, you can create a specific sized building using this technique:

1. I first selected the Rectangle Tool (brown square) and created a rectangle on the "ground" the size and shape of my building. Immediately after drawing the rectangle, type in the size you want the base of the building to be (in this case I typed in 120',30' ENTER to make a 120 x 30 foot building). Then using the Push/Pull Tool I dragged it up to the height of the main building. Again, immediately after you pull up the rectangle, type in the height you want (in this case I typed 30' ENTER).

Back