P3D v2 T-346A

Heretic

Resource contributor
Luca models and textures, but can't deal with systems. Your employer is interested in military aircraft and has a capable systems development team. Soooooo...

JB3DG

Resource contributor
Far from it. Things are swamped at Milviz so KC can't quite consider taking on another model. I don't have much spare time right now but if things change I don't mind giving a little help to a freeware dev.

SixGhost

Resource contributor
Just to clarify, Jonathan was interested in seeing how it all works, and I was happy to share what I've got. When the time comes, I'll be evaluating any option. It is far too early now to even consider a publisher (plane will be payware, too much time invested). I'm however glad he's offering his extremely valuable knowledge and expertise and I'll be all ears to what he'll have to say in the future.

SixGhost

Resource contributor
Looks like consoles did fit nicely and in accordance to drawings. Unfortunately, by comparing pictures I discovered that the ejection seats are placed too low, I guess they're depicted fully lowered in my drawings (it makes sense), but they look off that way and some details need moving around. It will take some time. Nature of the beast I guess.:)

Oh, how I wish I knew about that technique for handling hard edges a year ago. It's so easy to do in Blender. You bevel the edges and set the profile to "1".

SixGhost

Resource contributor
Nothing really fancy to show, I needed to take a break from modelling so I started mapping all the geometry I consider definitive. I'm thinking about Gmax uvw unwrapping abysmal capabilities and the time it took to do a reasonable good job...many years ago yet so clear. Max with Textools script is truely lightyears faster. If you read this and still use Gmax do yourself a favour and consider Blender.
Back on topic, I now know that model detail is not an issue tverts wise. With careful mapping, uv packing and shaders' use I'm fairly confident I'll manage to keep drawcalls at a minimum.

A little curiosity, I've always liked unwrapping and that makes me a bad person in the eye of the average modeler...I mean, a really bad person!:D

SixGhost

Resource contributor
I usually "flatten" everything first. I then stitch manually and occasionaly "peel" and "relax", this way I have more control over the seams and can really get rid of any distortion. There's a fantastic tutorial worth purchasing over
here explaining everything in detail.

SixGhost

Resource contributor
Back to modeling! I thought it was going to be faster but there were some awkwardly shaped pieces (damned engineers!) and the chamfer modifier did not collaborate. A couple more pieces here and there and the right side should be finished, hopefully soon...sheees!:eek:

SixGhost

Resource contributor
While work on consoles has somewhat stalled due to the sheer complexity of modeling the throttles, I decided to start something different to reset my brain for a while.

Ended up with an AIM-9L Sidewinder, an IRIS-T and a Smokewinder. The IRIS-T should be a first for MS sims. Here we go!

Some details :) Total polycount of the three combined just a little over 10k

Last edited:

SixGhost

Resource contributor
That looks amazing!
I think they are one of the most, if not the most detailed weapons for flightsim
They might as well be, for some strange reason it seems weapons or flight helmets for example are mostly neglected when it comes to detail in flight sims. I have a thing for both instead.

SixGhost

Resource contributor
Back with a tiny update. After a close inspection of the external model I compiled a list of things that I needed to update or correct. Some were minor, some were huge. The list had 52(!!) entries of which at least 3 of major importance. Now, since the external mesh was dated, moving vertexes around in what was basically a giant pile of compound curves proved next to impossible. Hence...

This time I'm using subdivision modelling and it's SO much better!