• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Texture problem

Country
australia
G'day folks, I am look for some solutions to my problems and since this is where all the wizards are I thought I would pose the question here.

Ok after creating my texture and applying the alpha channels, and saving in dtx3 to the texture folder, then trying to open it in fsds I begin to have the issue. The only textures that are ever visible are bumps or extenders. All other dss, dss, targa blah blah, just do not show up at all. Yes can find them in the texture folder, yes able to import and select the section of the texture I want, but when it comes to seeing the actual texture applied in the 3d window in fsds, all I get is this horrible verticals stripped mess and not the beautiful texture I was wanting to apply.

Any help, guidance or assistance you could provide me with this, would be humbly and great fully appreciated.

P.s. thank you all for your fantastic scenery work over the years... I want to fix my issue so I can also contribute some spectacular scenery for all to use.

Farfy

Resource contributor
Do not use DXT textures in FSDS

I use two texture folders

I have one texture folder for FSDS and I use 24 bit textures here, then in this FSDS

texture folder I have short cut to the texture folder that the game uses once the object is

ready for the game I then copy the FSDS texture to the game texture folder once here I

then convert then to a DXT1 or 3 if a alpha channel is needed.

Its takes a little getting used to having two texture folders but once you get the hang of it you have no problems.

H_Farfy

Country
australia
G'day guys... ok still no joy. I have used all of your suggestions. So I thought I would attach a screen shot of the issue. If I use a standard BMP or Extended I don't get this issue and it shows up nicely. But if I use any other format, this is the best result I get..... All I want to do is add in a texture that has an alpha channel applied to it.. I look forward to some solutions for this frustration.

Farfy Thanks for your response, but could I get you to clarify your answer as I found it a little confusing....

Attachments

• FSDS Texture SS.jpg
    FSDS Texture SS.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 509
Country
australia
Hi Farfy, thanks very much for all of your help. I have followed every instruction and to date still nothing has changed. It is all still not Phucking working out for me. Starting to think that there is a problem with the actual software as nothing friggin works and i am at my wits end with this now.

After going at this for more than 4 days at 16hrs a day I am still no closer to seeing a result. There are 2 things that I want to do which seems to be impossible at this stage.

1. Make a TEXTURED landable surface (I can get a landable surface, but no textures and a constant effect of crash sparks and smoke when I land on it)...... Patience has expired.

2. Make some vegetation (Trees, grasses, plants) all of which are HD with Alpha channels applied and at 1024 x 1024 DXT3 format. FSDS will not except the textures in any format except BMP... again patience has run out. When I say except, I mean actually showing up / presneting as they should or I have intended them to.

I have painstakingly made textures in every format available. To do this I use DXTBmp program. And yet still no results. I have attached an image that shows how all the textures appear. If anyone knows how to fix this, then I am all ears and eyes as this is delaying me getting on with my highly detailed freeware scenery.

Anyone that reads this and is willing to assist, in making a very large FREE object pack Especially for the vegetation, please let me know. I will supply you with the textures at 1024 x 1024 DXT3 (or a format of your choice) with the alpha channels all ready applied. There are approximately 500 HD trees, plants grasses, flowers, hedges, vines etc.....

All of these are required for a Freeware project.

Attachments

• FSDS SCREENSHOT OF FAILED TEXTURES.png
    FSDS SCREENSHOT OF FAILED TEXTURES.png
    289.1 KB · Views: 496
D

Deleted member 1281

Hi Marfarkar,

don't give up yet, we've all gone through this at one point.

Note the basic principle, which it seems you have not yet cottoned on to:

In FSDS use a 24bit RGB bmp w/o alpha "saved as" from your master texture sheet (Photoshop or Gimp or whatever file). Use that (say xxx.bmp) for mapping and display in FSDS.

Next, for FSX,, open the bmp in DxtBmp and add an alpha channel, flip both, and then convert to dxt5 dds (not dxt3.bmp or dxt3.dds - poor quality!). Use that, i.e. xxx.dds, in your FSX folder.

Alternatively, use dxt1 dds when you're not using an alpha.

As always, there are other ways of doing this, but I am trying to stick to the application setup you have indicated.

We can't tell from your pictures what's going on, they look like dxt3, which will not display in FSDS (I think).

Why not attach a 24bit bmp and a greyscale alpha bmp, and we will make you a FSX-ready dds. That's a promise.

Edited to clarify that both primary bmp and alpha have to be flipped.

Last edited by a moderator:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
You can bring the object into ModelConverterX and add a landable surface to it. That way you don't have to worry about texturing it, I think?

And to emphasize what Manfred is saying, you need TWO sets of textures - one for use in FSDS and one for use in FSX. They will be in different formats. You may not not see the transparency in FSDS.

Country
australia
G'day guys just to update you, I have tried every thing that has been suggested and still the same problems exist. Thanks for your help anyway.. Greatly appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve this.

D

Deleted member 1281

What is the problem again? You say you can get FSDS to display 24bit BMPs, and that you can convert them to flipped DDSs using DxtBmp for display in FSX. These two version don't have to have identical extensions, it's just the first name FSX is after. What else is needed?

Country
us-washington
G'day folks, I am look for some solutions to my problems and since this is where all the wizards are I thought I would pose the question here.

Ok after creating my texture and applying the alpha channels, and saving in dtx3 to the texture folder, then trying to open it in fsds I begin to have the issue. The only textures that are ever visible are bumps or extenders. All other dss, dss, targa blah blah, just do not show up at all. Yes can find them in the texture folder, yes able to import and select the section of the texture I want, but when it comes to seeing the actual texture applied in the 3d window in fsds, all I get is this horrible verticals stripped mess and not the beautiful texture I was wanting to apply.

Any help, guidance or assistance you could provide me with this, would be humbly and great fully appreciated.

P.s. thank you all for your fantastic scenery work over the years... I want to fix my issue so I can also contribute some spectacular scenery for all to use.
FSDS can 'see' only a bmp and perhaps only a dxt'd bmp. After compiling you can change these to dds if you want. DXT3 is good. FS9 can see dxt1, &3 but not 5.