P3D v4 Tiling Textures - MCX Optimization

Hi Folks,

Question - my modeling software has a limitation where I can only tile (repeat) a texture - when it's the full texture - I can't crop an area of a texture sheet and then tile it... I know the importance of draw calls on performance... I've messed with the material manager in MCX and it appears that it takes textures and can combine them on a larger sheet to minimize draw calls... So - say I have a bunch of 128x128 textures tiled over a model - will MCX be able to optimize these textures - combining them all on a larger sheet while still maintaining the assigned tiling ?

Or - LOL - do I have a gross conceptual error...

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Scott,

No, because MCX (and FS) can't tile a part of a texture, it's always the entire texture that is tiled.

The only way to repeat a subset of the texture, would be to split the geometry and create more smaller polygons.

Hi Arno,

Thanks for the clarification and I thought it was just my software... Much appreciated... LOL - I’ve wondered about this on and off for years...

Regards,
Scott

tgibson

Resource contributor
And BTW, it is technically not true that you cannot tile part of a texture. You just can't tile part of a texture in BOTH directions in the same mapping. You *can* tile a texture horizontally or vertically and only use part of the texture from the left/right or top/bottom edges.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
True Tom. But the part you tile has to fill the entire width or height.

=rk=

Resource contributor
A portion of a texture can be tiled to whatever extent possible and MCX will preserve that. We'd want to step back and consider that each polygon has mapped textures and this mapping is entirely independent of the other polygons. Tiling is a way to apply textures, not map them and MCX isn't going to make some sort of projection or calculation based on the number of times a portion of a texture appears to repeat itself, however, MCX will dutifully apply texture to whatever places it has been mapped onto a polygon, regardless the technique used to apply the mapping coordinates.