• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Transparent Overlay Problem

Country
us-georgia
Hi all, I have been trying to do a stains overlay on the ground poly textures for P3D v4.5. No matter what I set in the Alpha source blocks it doesn't appear as transparent in the Sim. I can dial the transparency down in the FAC block in the shader and it will go transparent in blender but when I export the files into P3D, its always full opaque. I have tried everything I know how to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello..

I assume you have the blender2p3d/fsx toolset?
The alpha channel for the albedo doesn't work the same way as in FSX. If I understand correctly you are adding to the groundpoly? You may need to set the blend mode to transparent in the toolset and use layers within your graphics editor (GIMP or PS) to add the stains. It's been awhile since I have done this. There is another blend mode but I can't remember what it's called and I'm not at my computer right now.

Sorry I'm not remembering what can be done right now.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Getting to a computer:

The Render mode (not blend mode) is where you can change it to "Translucent". The other option is called "Masked".

Country
us-georgia
Thanks for responding, yes I am using the tool kit to export, I will try the render mode thing. thanks so far

Country
us-georgia
I cant seem to find the Translucent settings you mentioned, but i still have the same problem and I am at a loss to figure out what to do. Unless i made the texture wrong, but i don't think I did.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Ok... if you would explain to me how are you placing the stained areas? Are you placing the stains on the concrete (groundpoly)?

Country
us-georgia
I duplicated the concrete and asphalt polys, then i joined the duplicates together to make one poly, then i a used the specular matl mode. I applied the material and used the stain texture as the diffuse. the nodes were already set up by the P3d addon. I turned the fac block down in the invert node between the texture alpha and the specular bsdf node. It does go more transparent in Blender. I set the transparency in the material area and chose alpha blend. and set the framebuffer area to transparency. but that doesn't seem to work, in the sim it still shows full opaque.

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Going that route you will need to bake the "stains" into the concrete/asphalt groundpoly, which in turn, you will need to update the UV Unwrap for this area. This would be because you are creating a new material for this groundpoly. Without "baking", nothing within the node editor will appear (within FS), even if you did change the Render mode for it.

A better option would be to recreate this section of the groundpoly (by making a new material) from the rest and have the stains already a part of the concrete/asphalt using a graphics editor (such as GIMP or PS). From there you would place the updated material into the UV.

Country
us-georgia
That actually sounds like a good idea, but I am adding some other overlays as well, do i need to make those first and merge all of them together, because some of the overlays will only be on part of the runway/tarmacs? I think that is where my problem will be.

Country
us-georgia
is there a way to copy the whole mesh as a texture to use in gimp?, otherwise I don't know what to do, because im using a repeating texture.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
The groundpoly should be broken down when you UV unwrap them or you can place seams yourself. So that they will break where you want them to. I would not have the groundpoly as 1 large mass. Within GIMP, having multiple layers or "overlays" as you call them, shouldn't matter at all.

You will lose sharpness in your texture if you make it 1 large mass.