• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Tree density

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Polygonal vegetation is not so dense. If you use rectangular vegetation instead with point features placed in the polygon you can make it more dense.

Changing the tree texture would require to use new model (or replace the global tree texture).

Hi,

Polygonal vegetation is not so dense. If you use rectangular vegetation instead with point features placed in the polygon you can make it more dense.

Changing the tree texture would require to use new model (or replace the global tree texture).
Hi thanks, can I find how to do this in the manual?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
You can use the PolygonToPoint step to place the points. And then in the CreateAGNRectVeg step you select these points with the filter.

You can use the PolygonToPoint step to place the points. And then in the CreateAGNRectVeg step you select these points with the filter.
So to confirm I would need to add to my config the follwing?

PolygonToPoint|type="forest"|INSIDE|0.001;0.001|0.25;0.0|String;type|tree|hdg

and

CreateAGNRectVeg|landuse="forest"|{c9dc45ae-f240-42a9-a137-b7617452a308}

Many thanks

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
In the CreateAGNRectVeg step you should use type="tree" as filter, since that is the attribute you assigned to the points you made.

Hi, many thanks for your help with the tree density. How exactly would I go about using a new model or replacing the texture? If you could point me in the right direction that would be great!

Thank you.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I don't know how Orbx does their trees, it might be that they replace the default trees or they could also have made their own autogen definitions for them. In the last case you could use them in your scenery, but only if you don't intend to share the wrok with others.

If you want to make your own models, expect that is quite some work, as there are different models for tree heigth, tree types, seasons, etc. So that are quite some models to make.

Replacing the default tree texture is easier, but that would affect all sceneries globally that use the same trees.

Hi,

I don't know how Orbx does their trees, it might be that they replace the default trees or they could also have made their own autogen definitions for them. In the last case you could use them in your scenery, but only if you don't intend to share the wrok with others.

If you want to make your own models, expect that is quite some work, as there are different models for tree heigth, tree types, seasons, etc. So that are quite some models to make.

Replacing the default tree texture is easier, but that would affect all sceneries globally that use the same trees.
Hi there, many thanks for your reply.

I would not intent to share the work with others.

Do you know where I would locate the default tree textures in order to replace them?

Many thanks

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
If you load the default vegetation.bgl file in ModelConverterX you can see which textures are used by each tree model.

Hi Arno!
I'm also trying to "convert" Polygon To Point but seems that it doesn't work since i get this "12:25 PolygonToPoint Information Created 0 point features"

I have missed something?

PolygonToPoint|type="forest"|INSIDE|0.001;0.001|0.25;0.0|String;type|tree|hdg
PolygonToPoint|type="park"|INSIDE|0.001;0.001|0.25;0.0|String;type|tree|hdg
CreateAGNRectVeg|type="tree"|{e8b937fd-a1f2-4bd5-8548-2c80d30102af}
CreateAGNRectVeg|type="tree"|{e8b937fd-a1f2-4bd5-8548-2c80d30102af}

MatthiasKNU

Resource contributor
There's another function for that:
ReplacePolygonByVegetationRectangles|filter|size|overlap|random

i.e.:
# a size of 0.0001 gives you wonderfull dense forests... :cool:
ReplacePolygonByVegetationRectangles|type="forest"|0.0001|0|1

And then you can continue with:
CreateAGNRectVeg|type="forest"|{e8b937fd-a1f2-4bd5-8548-2c80d30102af}

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

The ReplacePolygonByVegetationRectangles step makes polygons, the PolygonToPoint step makes point features. I typically use the last in my scripts. If you use fclass there as well I guess it will work.

The exact attributes depend on the data you use. fclass is not something that OSM XML/PBF data typically has. But some SHP dumps of OSM data use that attribute indeed.

There's another function for that:
ReplacePolygonByVegetationRectangles|filter|size|overlap|random

i.e.:
# a size of 0.0001 gives you wonderfull dense forests... :cool:
ReplacePolygonByVegetationRectangles|type="forest"|0.0001|0|1

And then you can continue with:
CreateAGNRectVeg|type="forest"|{e8b937fd-a1f2-4bd5-8548-2c80d30102af}
Hi,

Would you be so kind as to share your scenproc config file? :)

MatthiasKNU

Resource contributor
Well, I don't have "the one" ScenProc file.
When I create the autogen, I always create different config files so that it looks the best in the end...

Well, I don't have "the one" ScenProc file.
When I create the autogen, I always create different config files so that it looks the best in the end...
Ah okay, no problem. I use your autogen you've kindly shared so far. But I've been trying to do some areas such as Portugal and can generally get buildings and forests to be ok, but just struggle for anything after that which is why I asked.